FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your favorite statue?

IceCreamTruck
If a statue, or art for that matter, is supposed to make you feel something, and to think about the work, or to ask questions then hands down this takes the cake for me...

Oslo, Norway.

On that note... it does get even more strange. Apparently the guy above is being attacked by spirits which are flying babies, but I prefer to take it at face value instead. Smile

Bern, Switzerland

He really is eating babies, and it's, shall we say, exciting the bears below.

loremar
LOL.

My favorite statue is The Thinker.

No one know this but my first avatar was a statue of The Thinker. That was before I searched for an anime version and found one of my favorite characters, Lelouch.
Marcuzzo
I like this one, This is a statue of ambiorix in Tongeren ( Belgium )

Wikipedia wrote:
Ambiorix was, together with Catuvolcus, prince of the Eburones, leader of a Belgic tribe of north-eastern Gaul (Gallia Belgica), where modern Belgium is located. In the 19th century Ambiorix became a Belgian national hero because of his resistance against Julius Caesar, as written in Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico.[1]

TurtleShell
[img]http://nummynims.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/20111029-140908.jpg?w=500[/img]

I guess this is my favorite statue, at the Met in New York.

Ok--why the hell can't I get the image to show up here? What am I doing wrong, kids?
adri
Delete the '?w=500'. Smile But I suggest you use a different image because it's quite big. Razz

Code:
[img]http://nummynims.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/20111029-140908.jpg[/img]

*adri doesn't have a favorite statue. Crying or Very sad

----

I do live nearby the statue of the Lion of Waterloo where Napoleon lost his battle. This statue can be seen from miles away.

IceCreamTruck
TurtleShell wrote:
[img]http://nummynims.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/20111029-140908.jpg?w=500[/img]

That's actually a really pretty statue. Invokes a lot of sympathy in me for some reason.
TurtleShell
Yes, it's visually powerful. And this picture of it is just terrible--it's so much more beautiful in person. But I can't find a better photograph.
TurtleShell
IceCreamTruck wrote:
If a statue, or art for that matter, is supposed to make you feel something, and to think about the work, or to ask questions then hands down this takes the cake for me...

Oslo, Norway.

On that note... it does get even more strange. Apparently the guy above is being attacked by spirits which are flying babies, but I prefer to take it at face value instead. Smile

Bern, Switzerland

He really is eating babies, and it's, shall we say, exciting the bears below.

By the way, this first photograph just cracked me up. hilarious!
Insanity
Christ the Redeemer is my favorite statue. It's located in Brazil, and it just looks so epic, especially its placement on top of a hill.
IceCreamTruck
This is on a hill overlooking Budapest, Hungary. A reminder of freedom... It holds a place in my heart and is really quiet epic. It's on a hill too

A friend of mine lived right next to Szobor park which is where they keep all the old communist statues from Budapest... it's really neat too, but it's not hard to see why they moved them because those are evil looking and represent an old regime which did not promote freedom. I think Lady freedom is a good replacement.

EDIT: I just did a search on "Szobor park budapest hungary" and you can see most of those. Really neat communist statues, but understandable to have them all outside the city in one park where they can be seen but don't represent fear for the people any more.