FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cross-Browser Compatability

ocalhoun
I have noticed that many of the elements of this site are distorted when using konqueror (default KDE browser) This is expecially true of the advertizements and the homepage (www.frihost.com) it is still usable (I'm posting this using konqueror), however it would be nice if considerations were made for those of us who do not like IE
dan751
It is cross-browser compatable. It works just perfectly with not only IE, but Mozilla Browser, Firefox, Opera, CrazyBrowser. I know this because I have used them all, but I'm currently using Firefox (and sticking with it) and Crazy Browser.Wink
Monkeydog
Gonzo is going to be all over you xD
Well, don't use it?
Apperantly that browser doesn't support some of the scripts...I don't think it can be fixed...who knows...
n0obie4life
Maybe its a broswer bug?
snowboardalliance
Umm why not just use Firefox?
I mean, if you don't like IE, I'm sure you'll like Firefox
Blamestar
Right, Firefox doesn't have any problems displaying this page. Or any other that's has not bugs inserted to display correctly in IE.

And it runs on Linux too, which I assume you use cause you said you use konqueror.

So long
Blamestar
artur.h
but konqueror is a default browser on many linux/unix boxen
and a very good browser indeed. it is worth supporting.
it is a shame to have use a differnent browser for just one site.

and i do not believe it is a browser bug, and if so, you should report
it at bugs.kde.org. Konqueror is known to be very well standard compliant
snowboardalliance
artur.h wrote:
it is a shame to have use a differnent browser for just one site.

Or just use Firefox...
bananaphone
get a differnet browser - there are heaps for KDE
gonzo
Monkeydog wrote:
Gonzo is going to be all over you xD
Well, don't use it?

ahahahaha

ok I'll play, especially after the spewfest PM I got from artoor earlier

artur.h wrote:
but konqueror is a default browser on many linux/unix boxen

lynx is the default browser on ____. What about the default browser for xboxen?

Most linux geeks use firefox. What does that make you?
eday2010
My site (www.wnstudios.ca), only displays properly in IE and in Netscape when it uses the IE Engine. My DHTML menu doesn't come up in Firefox, and Opera puts an unwanted gap in the page between the menu and body, and doesn't display the Flash header correctly. Haven't tested it in Safari, so I don't know how that one handles it.

I am currently trying to find out why those browsers are being jerks, and how to fix their jerkiness. If worse comes to worse, I will change the menu or something.
Daniel15
eday2010 wrote:
My site (www.wnstudios.ca), only displays properly in IE and in Netscape when it uses the IE Engine. My DHTML menu doesn't come up in Firefox, and Opera puts an unwanted gap in the page between the menu and body, and doesn't display the Flash header correctly. Haven't tested it in Safari, so I don't know how that one handles it.

I am currently trying to find out why those browsers are being jerks, and how to fix their jerkiness. If worse comes to worse, I will change the menu or something.

Your site isn't written to standards, then.

Internet Explorer and Netscape both aren't standards compliant (they both use their "own" version of HTML). Firefox and Opera are both standards compliant (if a site works in Opera, it will almost always work on any standards compliant browser).

This will help you validate your site: http://validator.w3.org/

P.S See my site at http://www.stickboarder.be/ for a nicely designed Flash menu Very Happy I think Flash menus are better than DHTML.

EDIT: You should put a site map on your site, just in case the DHTML menu doesn't work for some people.
Marston
Yeah, I don't think ocalhaun asked which browser he should use instead of Konqueror... I think he asked for the ads to be fixed so they look good in every browser. I dunno if it's actually possible, because they're third party ads (I believe...).