FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yahoo laying off 2000 employees

bukaida
The company is striking off 2000 employees for the sake of restructuring and cost cutting. The source said that it is trying to regain the footing which it lost to Google in all front.

REUTERS

cbsnews
ocalhoun
Not surprising.
Yahoo is on the way out... if they want to save themselves, they'll need to completely re-invent the company.
bukaida
The question is that , they have to come up with some innovative idea this time else all employees need to be layed off someday and the company will close down. Will it be possible for them if they donot invest in R&D this moment ? There must be some change at the managerial level also. Slaughtering the technical staffs only will not help in long run.
Afaceinthematrix
Ocalhoun is correct. Yahoo! is on the way out and if they want to save themselves, they will have to completely reinvent the company. The reasoning is that I cannot think of a single thing that Yahoo! does or offers that Google does not do better or just as good. The search engines are about equal, but after that, everything that Google offers is better. And Google offers way more than Yahoo!. Google offers a pretty good web browser, Google Earth (an amazing program), Google maps, and basically everything else that you can think of.
bukaida
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
And Google offers way more than Yahoo!. Google offers a pretty good web browser, Google Earth (an amazing program), Google maps, and basically everything else that you can think of.

And not to forget a full fledged mini operating system " Android " which has taken the mobile market by storm.
menino
Yahoo does have webhosting, but it does not seem to be as lucrative in business as google apps, and I think this is mainly because of marketing.
They do have some partnership with Microsoft for some services, but not really sure what they are.
If they are restructuring, then I guess they have a new gameplan and will come out of the doldrums.
Sad about the 2000 emplyees of theirs, but this is what happens in the corporate world.
kaiwei
Slaughtering the technical staffs only will not help in long run.
IceCreamTruck
bukaida wrote:
Slaughtering the technical staffs only will not help in long run.

It does feel good, however! Twisted Evil
ujjwalshrestha
In the current environment, every company need to keep reinventing every 5-6 years. And that is also true for every individual. I hope Yahoo is going similar path. It need to be thin and lean to pull themselves up. I hate to see them go down. Since I have enjoyed some of the services from yahoo; and after all yahoo used to rule the web before google came
deanhills
It will be sad if Yahoo is to stop existing. My first e-mail accounts were with Yahoo, and I have a few with them. Must say there is much room for improvement. My pet irritation with Yahoo Searches is that when I type something in the search box, it does not want to accept the first few characters unless I click in the box first.
matrixuk321
I expect yahoo to stop soon, what service do they provide that is popular? Google has better mail and better search.
deanhills
matrixuk321 wrote:
I expect yahoo to stop soon, what service do they provide that is popular? Google has better mail and better search.
I prefer Yahoo over Google as I like their layout better. I also don't like Google as I trust them less than I trust any of the other available search engines. The bigger the search engine, the more sophisticated they are in accessing information from people.
truespeed
Yahoo were huge at one point,they seemed however to rest on their laurels and take success for granted,they never innovated or took risks like google and they have gone from one of the internets major players on a par with google to well nothing really,unless they can come up with the next big idea,something they are not every good at,ideas,i don't really see a future for them.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Yahoo were huge at one point,they seemed however to rest on their laurels and take success for granted,they never innovated or took risks like google and they have gone from one of the internets major players on a par with google to well nothing really,unless they can come up with the next big idea,something they are not every good at,ideas,i don't really see a future for them.
True. They need a total new way of doing the same thing. I hope something will happen as I'd like them to at least be competition to Google. Yahoo's failure will make Google just more stronger. Never good to have someone domineering the industry.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
It will be sad if Yahoo is to stop existing.

It won't suddenly stop existing... it will be bought by someone... probably one of the other big players like Microsoft or Google.
truespeed
I was looking on Alexa the other night and they are still the 4th most popular site in the world,so they are doing much better than i expected.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
I was looking on Alexa the other night and they are still the 4th most popular site in the world,so they are doing much better than i expected.

Personally, I was shocked recently when somebody gave me their email address... and it ended in '@aol.com'

Made me want to run out in the street and yell "WHAT YEAR IS THIS?" ... in fear that I had somehow warped back into the year 1994.
silverdown
Google for the win! or FTW!
deanhills
silverdown wrote:
Google for the win! or FTW!
Seriously, I always wondered what FTW meant. Now I know! Very Happy
gandalfthegrey
I don't think Yahoo is dead. They still have millions of email subscribers and the 2nd largest search engine.
deanhills
I tried Safari Browser for the first time today, for Web design purposes to see what the Website looks like in Safari. Then noticed Yahoo featuring as one of its Tabs. So guess Yahoo must still be alive and kicking. Next to Yahoo was Google Maps, also YouTube and Wikipedia tabs. Not bad at all. I'd have expected it to be Google, then Google Maps. Wonder whether this means that Yahoo is more popular among Apple users than Yahoo, or maybe they have a special advertising deal on the go?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether this means that Yahoo is more popular among Apple users than Yahoo, or maybe they have a special advertising deal on the go?

Or maybe Apple doesn't like Google... especially considering the recent competition in the smartphone market.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether this means that Yahoo is more popular among Apple users than Yahoo, or maybe they have a special advertising deal on the go?

Or maybe Apple doesn't like Google... especially considering the recent competition in the smartphone market.
Good point!