FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to choose a domain name?

mamatha
Hi,

While choosing a domain name on which points do you bare in mind?
cybersa
Short Name and Easy To tell.
Easy to remember
vhinGARCIA
simple and easy to remember.
dude_xyx
if you want a name which you can brand then find something short and sweet.

or if this is for AdSense or to sell a affiliate product then you need to find a domain with the keyword in it.

Google Adword keyword tool and DomainTools.com is the best buddies for this job.
airh3ad
the best this to choose domains is Use Correct Grammar and Spelling Highly confusing or misspelled words can lead your customers to your competitors website. Domains should be clear of misspelled words and confusing alphabetical syntax to make it easier for your visitors to find you. Unless you have an already well-established brand name or business presence, keep the domains clean and easy to remember.
darkknight1234
It must be must be very simple and easy to remember...
That is a must have condition.

In particular , It should explain what your site is about. Your site name and domain name must be in sync.

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/domainname.shtml is a good article about the same topic. You might want to check it out!
Josso
Definitely second all the short suggestions here. Try to avoid characters like dashes (-).

I had a 4 character .net once it was the best domain I ever owned. Really easy to remember as they all the characters represented words.

You can also try ending the theme of the with the end of the domain. Like when I was getting tekfm.info I really wanted tek.fm

One of the well known examples is delicio.us and stuff like that.
HiraFahad
different domain names are supposed for different purposes by search engines for example:
.com is best, if you want to run commercial site.
.net is good for networking sites.
.org is supposed to use for organizations sites.
.info is good for informative sites like encyclopedia and other information.
.co.uk , .au , .ca , .pk all such domains can be used for general purposes, they are use to demonstrate your location and Target a specific demographic visitor group.
search engine normally first show .com domain sites, which have search term(searched keyword) in the domain name on top of the search results.
You should buy a .com domain having your main key word in it.
Smile
briankid
i think best thing to do is do some some keyword research. Then choose domain name that describes your website best and not too long