FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Editors

jurl
Hey everyone,
i want to share with you my opinion about 3 editors (IDEs)
which i consider as the best editors.

- sublimeText2 Cool
    lightweight, easy to use and beautiful editor.
    you will have to see it to understand.

- Komodo edit/ide Twisted Evil
    the Heavy weapon.
    also have autocomplete and debugger!!!
    i really love this IDE...
    (komodo edit is free. komodo ide has the debugger but cost money.)

- VIM Smile
    For the toughest.
    if you get into this editor and learn the options its has for you,
    it can boost your Productivity much farther!

note that the three editors are sort of Cross platform and free (Except komodo ide)

hope it will help you.
have fun!
Smile
jcreus
jurl wrote:
Hey everyone,

- sublimeText2 Cool

the Heavy weapon.

- VIM Smile
    For the toughest.

note that the three editors are sort of Cross platform and free (Except komodo ide)

hope it will help you.
have fun!
Smile

Of the three, I prefer the most VIM. Maybe it doesn't have the graphical fancy or autocomplete, but in terms of power and productivity it is thousands of times better. You have to get used to it, though. Also good graphical editors are Kate (KDE) and gedit (GNOME). Both have many plugins, too, and syntax highlighting.
amagard
So far I never made it to really use vi or vim. Simply too many key combinations to remember. My favorite editor for code writing currently is Notepad++. But that's for Windows only.
Tuvitor
I really love VIM on *nix based systems, and Notepad++ on Windows based systems.
jurl
yeah vim its really somthing.

but you really should try komodo (the second)...
it has an option for keyboard shortcuts like Vim Smile
Fire Boar
Another vote for vim here. I use it for practically everything now - yes, the learning curve is steep, but once you get used to it there really is no better editor anywhere. Plus, it runs from the command line, which means it's available through SSH without the need for X forwarding. For me, that's a huge plus, since I use SSH a lot.
shazhouke
Fire Boar wrote:
Another vote for vim here. I use it for practically everything now - yes, the learning curve is steep, but once you get used to it there really is no better editor anywhere. Plus, it runs from the command line, which means it's available through SSH without the need for X forwarding. For me, that's a huge plus, since I use SSH a lot.

Nobody mentioned the beast named "Emacs"?
Well, I also vote VIM. I love the softwares you can script with.
GfBL
jurl wrote:
Hey everyone,

- sublimeText2 Cool

the Heavy weapon.

- VIM Smile
    For the toughest.

hope it will help you.

have fun!
Smile

Hi,

I use for normal edition Notepad++ You find a lot Add-ons.
    When working with HTML, JS, PHP, CSS i use Netbeans
    It has a great help function for editing. It supports now HTML5 and CSS3.

Both are free and exist as portable versions.
neiesc
I'm currently using sublimeText2, by plugins(python) and configuration.
Skumfuk
Dreamweaver, Notepad++ has to be the top ones for Windows i think.
Peterssidan
Of the ones listed I have only used vim but I haven't used it enough to feel comfortable with it. I usually use Geany if I want to be able to compile/build from the editor, otherwise I simply use gedit.
yotabit
VIM isn't tough, really Smile.
Remember, that You must "tell" VIM first,
which features You need.

There are some good video tutorials for VIM novices:
http://www.derekwyatt.org/vim/vim-tutorial-videos/

Good luck!
ZeytinGrafik
I've been using Komodo Edit for sometime and it has everything i need. Notepad++ is good for quick editing and works quite well. I used to use sublimeText2 before Komodo but as things got complicated i needed another editor. There are very good editors like Aptana but they seem slow to me.
Vanilla
amagard wrote:
So far I never made it to really use vi or vim. Simply too many key combinations to remember. My favorite editor for code writing currently is Notepad++. But that's for Windows only.

Notepad ++ is awesome. I really enjoy it. Consider that I used to work with notepad as my main editor, so Notepad ++ was a huge improvement. Very Happy
deanhills
I like Notepad ++ too. I haven't coded anything from scratch and use it mostly to modify existing templates with Notepad ++ as the editor and Mozilla Firefox to view it.

Looks as though I'll be back with MS Expression Web 4. Just discovered some really great tutorials in YouTube and it's nice how it brings the coding and design all together under one roof. Also allows for viewing in multiple browsers.
cybersa
Vanilla wrote:
amagard wrote:

Notepad ++ is awesome. I really enjoy it. Consider that I used to work with notepad as my main editor, so Notepad ++ was a huge improvement. Very Happy

Notepad++ is a best Windows Notepad replacement.
I'm using it over 2 years.

It have lot of useful addons.

--Off topic--
WoW! Got 1600 post.
Marcuzzo
I use SCite for little administration scripts and to quickly edit a file.
for websites/java and android stuff I use eclipse.
and for .net I use VS2012
the only time I use VI is on my debian server to create a script or to edit a file.
codegeek
I like Notepad++ because it is very fast to load, easy to use and has many features. Moreover, you can add many useful add-ons to make it even more powerful.
sysna
For windows i like notepad++ , it is powerful and with lots of plugins it is just awesome even for working with your VPS. for linux i suggest everyone to install some plugins on theri Gedit and see how powerful it gets, this tutorial : http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux shows how you can make Gedit a powerful editor it can have all features of mentioned editors in the first post like word complete and many other features.
vcmsxs
(Gnu)Emacs has all the pros and then some. Yes, I admit, compared to other editors mentioned it has prey steep learning curve but if you have the brain or the stamina it is worth it. With GnuEmacs the sky is the limit and when you break through the clods heaven will open it self Smile ...it took me a couple of years to "master" but it is not a screwdriver/wrench-kind of tool. Emacs is the Gandalfs-wand kind of tool.

Cross-paltform, plugins can easely be managed and installed from a huge packages menu, alot of cool search-functions out of the box, supports tons of languages, git ("magit" made understand and use git better, it is fast and beautiful), built in support for editing on remote server, debugging, plugins for editing in dockers, python virtualenvs, lint/flake, rtags. You can check your mail, surf, twitter, blog and search the web, irc, chat, check news, take notes (org-mode is amazing thing of its own)...and, and, and,.... Plus! You get to learn a odd little dialect of lisp Smile
loveandormoney
vi is very good.

Professional users use vi.
jajarvin
ForI use Geany,
It works on Windows and on Linux.
It is easy use and you can for example run Python code right from this editor