FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dark Shadows movie

TurtleShell
K, so I was too young to see Dark Shadows the 1970's soap opera, but I was a young adult when the Dark Shadows mini series/short lived series remake was on in the 90's. Man, I was hooked. I don't know if anyone remembers that cliff hanger--when Victoria Winters finally wakes up from her stint in the 1700's and Barnabas Collins is there and their eyes meet across the room and he knows that she knows that he's a VAMPIRE--holy shit. I waited all summer long to find out what would happen, and then they CANCELLED the show and it was one of the great disappointments of my childhood.

So when I heard that there was a Dark Shadows movie coming out, naturally I freaked. And Johnny Depp was going to play Barnabas Collins. OMG.

I just saw the trailer here...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/

and um, is it just me, or does this look stupid and hokey? Are they making my beloved Dark Shadows and into some kitschy joke? Johnny Depp, how could you do this to me? WTF?
Blummer
The thing is, it's a bit boring that everywhere Burton has the same actors. Yes he's got his own style, his way of approaching things...He wants to create those remakes...But there's something in there, once again - something boring.
TurtleShell
yeah, I can agree with that. He needs to find some more lead people. But I do like watching johnny depp...
rogue_skydragon
i thought the trailer looked ridiculously cheesy
Vanilla
Well, since it's a Tim Burton movie, I think people really expect it to be cheesy and kitschy... I'm not saying this is essentially a good thing. My mom didn't like the remake of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". At least we'll have Danny Elfmann doing the soundtrack, which I think is a good thing...

Also I love vampires. Recently I was watching this series about a vampire detective and then the writer's strike happened and voilà, series canceled! I'm curious about this 91 version, think I'm going to watch it. Very Happy
TurtleShell
OMG, you really should, watch the 91 version. Last I knew it was on hulu. It was a classic vampire show...rolling fog, quircky cast of new England characters, a huge house on a hill, ghosts...all the key elements of a solid supernatural type tv show, but not overkill. Just plain fun.
Radar
Reading the wiki article about the original show... I'm kind of surprised that I've never heard of this before.

It sounds like one of those classic short-lived but epically loved shows.

Perhaps the cult base for this is primarily in America, rather than elsewhere.
Vanilla
TurtleShell wrote:
OMG, you really should, watch the 91 version. Last I knew it was on hulu. It was a classic vampire show...rolling fog, quircky cast of new England characters, a huge house on a hill, ghosts...all the key elements of a solid supernatural type tv show, but not overkill. Just plain fun.

Sadly I don't live in the US, so I think Hulu won't work for me... Sad

Anyway, I'm going to download it. I don't think this series is licensed here, so no harm done. Wink
TurtleShell
let me know if you decide you like it. Good stuff.