FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpBB Rank and Groups

medesignz
I want to define each rank to a group... eg group 1 - read only, group 2 - restricted access, etc etc

I gather this is possible my manually doing it, but can it be automated so that when a new user signs up, they are automatically assigned group 1 status / access, and after they post x amount they are granted group 2 status / access?
Aredon
Have you checked phpBB forums for this question already? Seems to me there may be a script to edit the database.

I'll have to look over my own board's settings, but there may also be a way to set which group is the default for all users.
medesignz
I've done a quick, rather crass, cron job fix Very Happy
Aredon
Ahh a cron job should do just fine. I probably would have gone with a small header script that only runs if the user's group doesn't meet certain conditions. To each his own.

Code:

if($user->data['group_id'] != 3){
//do stuff
}
medesignz
The thing about adding more data to the header is that the header is already code heavy, so I decided an external file would do the job, and not be so code heavy
Aredon
medesignz wrote:
The thing about adding more data to the header is that the header is already code heavy, so I decided an external file would do the job, and not be so code heavy

I wouldn't think adding the one database query it would take would add a significant amount of load time to the page. Given the already "code-heavy" header. Especially since that query would only take place once the if logic passed. Insignificant in my opinion.
medesignz
The speed of the page is essential, to keep an active forum.

The addition of the code to the header would make each page run the scripting and that would be totally pointless in my opinion.

Very Happy
Aredon
medesignz wrote:
The speed of the page is essential, to keep an active forum.

The addition of the code to the header would make each page run the scripting and that would be totally pointless in my opinion.

Very Happy

Well no, each page would run an if statement to check if the script even needed to be ran. The processing time of said if statement would be negligible at worst. It would also mean instant updating when a user navigated to your site, rather than delaying with a cronjob and forcing the user to wait.

If you do it correctly each user should only experience any delay at all, one time, no more.
medesignz
AutoGroup Mod is what I found... That has sorted the problem straight Wink
Aredon
Ahh good! Mod's are a great solution. PhpBB is wonderful about that. Smile
medesignz
But the spam countermeaures are not the best I noticed :S
Aredon
anti-spam ACP works great