FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

bandwidth priority?

lightwate
In a local home network (with DSL), is there such thing as bandwidth priority? meaning, some computers will be prioritized and therefore have faster download speeds?

In my case, I'm using a D-Link DI-524 router and I've noticed that my younger brother's been causing the net to go slow by streaming anime. My torrent download speed because of that is down to ~8kB/s, , which i find weird because usually it's the torrent that causes other stuff to go slower. I checked my sister's laptop and I saw that she's downloading a torrent at 40kB/s, which I find to be unfair lol.

I checked all of our ip addresses and mine was the highest, i was like 192.168.0.186, while there's are at 152, 112 etc. My hypothesis is that the lower the last digit of your IP address, the more priority you will be given? or something like that. Am i right?

If so, is there a way to balance out that speed? Very Happy
meiz
lightwate wrote:
In a local home network (with DSL), is there such thing as bandwidth priority? meaning, some computers will be prioritized and therefore have faster download speeds?

In my case, I'm using a D-Link DI-524 router and I've noticed that my younger brother's been causing the net to go slow by streaming anime. My torrent download speed because of that is down to ~8kB/s, , which i find weird because usually it's the torrent that causes other stuff to go slower. I checked my sister's laptop and I saw that she's downloading a torrent at 40kB/s, which I find to be unfair lol.

I checked all of our ip addresses and mine was the highest, i was like 192.168.0.186, while there's are at 152, 112 etc. My hypothesis is that the lower the last digit of your IP address, the more priority you will be given? or something like that. Am i right?

I think if you use wireless router, you can realize your request in IP bandwidth control config section of the router's config webpage. In the router's config webpage, you can allocate some bandwidth to different IPs. Idea
lightwate
hi, thanks for your reply. But isn't a bandwidth limit technically a 'size' limit, and not a 'speed' limit? Or am i wrong? i'm looking for something to balance out the KB/s our computers receive
ocalhoun
lightwate wrote:

My hypothesis is that the lower the last digit of your IP address, the more priority you will be given?
or something like that. Am i right?

No. Completely not the case.
Specific IP address has no effect on bandwidth priority or allocation.
Quote:

Sure, get a very expensive managed network switch, which will have the ability to allocate bandwidth both by IP address, and if you get a fancy enough one, by type of traffic.
johans
"No. Completely not the case.
Specific IP address has no effect on bandwidth priority or allocation."

It depends. For bigger network bandwidth can be configure per ip address but for home nework not applicable with the allocation in your ISP
sysna
actually using a hardware load balancer you can do that but it will cost you a lot, if you have an unused computer you can use it as a server and using some softwares you can create a load balancer, anyway without any of them i think there is no chance for specifying bandwidth for each computer rather than using a 3rd party software on each computer to restrict its bandwidth access.