FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ftp path issue?

inoshi
Hi Folks,

I've been making quit a bit of updates to my site in the last few weeks and today I got a message that my client was unable to write to server, to check settings and try again.

I hadn't changed any settings and server 4 looks fine and dandy.

I noticed in my ftp server settings I have a blank path line, which has been no problem previously . . .

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Inoshi
Asap170
I doubt that it is the blank line. That error usually refers to when you don't have permissions to a folder. It may of been that somehow a folder permission's were changed. If it is a sub folder in the "public_html" directory then make sure the folder is set to 644.

If it is not a sub folder then reply to this post with the permissions for "public_html"
inoshi
Cheers I'll take a look-see.
Bondings
You probably first have to change the permissions of the folder (to 644 usually) as mentioned by asap170.
Asap170
Bondings wrote:
You probably first have to change the permissions of the folder (to 644 usually) as mentioned by asap170.

Haha makes me feel good that Bondings thought the same thing as me! This just made my day!

Hope this fixes everything.
inoshi
I see what the problem is, al of my disk space is used - I may be uploading the site repeatedly into nested files? Not sure - can somebody tale a look?
inoshi
And, though I read the intro when I set my site up, the file manager directory tree seems a bit cryptic to me. It's not clear to me what the root directory is, and why I need to move files to public_html folder rather rather be publishing them there in the first place . . .

Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

Question
Bondings
inoshi wrote:
And, though I read the intro when I set my site up, the file manager directory tree seems a bit cryptic to me. It's not clear to me what the root directory is, and why I need to move files to public_html folder rather rather be publishing them there in the first place . . .

Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

Question

The public_html is there for public files of one of your domains. Not all the files of that domain need to be public, like your email or some scripts, hence the need for the public_html.

Secondly, as there can be more than 1 domain setup in your account, there needs to be a public_html directory for each domain.

Hence there is a domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ directory for each domain you have setup in your account. Like domains/mysubdomain.frihost.org/public_html/ and domains/mydomain.com/public_html/ .

There is a also a shortcut to the public_html of your default domain at the root of your account.
inoshi
Ah ok shortcut = public_html folder w/ red arrow on it, making sense.

Still unsure why I'm using all disk space when site is so small.

Typically I manually move files using the (server 4) file manager by adding files and folders to clipboard from <mydomain> and copying them to <mydomain/public_html>.

Maybe I'm doing something bass-ackwards?

Thanks for the 101 and patience Bondings.
Bondings
@inoshi, the disk space issue is fixed now - at least it seems to be about 100MB now. I guess it was counted several times due to file moves. If you go to the site statistics of your domain, you can click the update button next to the disk space used to update it.

By the way, the files should go into domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ . It seems that in your root you have a whole copy of your domain - that I guess can be removed. (although maybe take a backup of it just to be sure it doesn't contain some important files)
inoshi
Hi @bondings, that helped get more clear space on server.

Also, is the ftp server address for publishing ftp.<domain_name>?

It seems that this may be where I've been having some fo the manual work come in, and why the site was duped.

Need to experiment a little more.
inoshi
Experimenting.

iWeb wants to publish site in a directory of <mydomain>. Not sure if there is a work around for this or not, but it means I always have to manually move files when I publish.

Secondly, how do I reset directory structure for<mydomain>? I deleted everything then reset up site and created a public_html directory. The default directories are gone (stats, awstst, logs, etc.) or does it matter . . . ?
inoshi
inoshi wrote:

Secondly, how do I reset directory structure for<mydomain>? I deleted everything then reset up site and created a public_html directory. The default directories are gone (stats, awstst, logs, etc.) or does it matter . . . ?

Some of the stock directories have repopulated (not sure if that was scripted or human intervention). If I do a compare I see that .htpasswd anf public_ftp are still missing - should I be concerned?
Bondings
@inoshi, the best way to reset it is to remove the domains through DirectAdmin (should remove all the default data in domain/) and then add them again (in Domain Management I think it is called). That should recreate the default structure.

About the ftp server, normally ftp.domain should work. You should also be able to use the main server ip (on your account page) or actually any domain that is hosted on the server.
inoshi
K thanx Exclamation
zitam
Use these FTP settings:
1) Host Name: ftp.[your host].com .
2) User ID / Login Name: Your account username.
3) Password: Your account password.
inoshi
zitam wrote:
Use these FTP settings:

Hi I do, but then there is field for

4) Directory / Path:

which I have as domains/
Bondings
inoshi wrote:
zitam wrote:
Use these FTP settings:

Hi I do, but then there is field for

4) Directory / Path:

which I have as domains/

Yes that should be fine, although for a specific domain you can use domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ (replace <domain_name> with your domain name).
inoshi
Bondings wrote:

Yes that should be fine, although for a specific domain you can use domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ (replace <domain_name> with your domain name).

I tried that and it uploaded the entire site into a directory in public_html. It might be an issue with iWeb.

Thanks People Exclamation