FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Self destructive file

bukaida
Is there any software available which can put a lifetime on any file? I mean the file will automaticaly destroyed after the specified time period, even if it is copied and distributed ? This can greatly help regarding the copyrighted materials.
ocalhoun
It could be made, maybe, but it would be relatively easy to circumvent.
Really, it would only be practical for executable program files.
...And even then, one might be able to easily block it by (for example) setting the file to be read-only.
Marcuzzo
self deleting executables are easy, just create a batch file that will run after the program finished running and delete the executable and then self destroy the batch file.
but like ocalhoun said, if the executable is set to read-only this will fail.

if you are looking at other types of files then IMO, the only way to do this is to create a windows service that will monitor the files and delete it if the timeout has expired.
but the more files it needs to monitor, the slower the system will be.

bukaida wrote:
This can greatly help regarding the copyrighted materials.

I would consider licensing and built in security with a serial and activation code if you want to protect your software.
the license itself should be enough as the program is protected by law, however some people just don't care and try to crack it anyway.
keep it in mind that once a program is out there then it is only a matter of time before security is compromised as for any compiler you can find a decompiler, especialy the high level language compilers ( java, .net )

I would choose for a good license over a few tricks to delete the files.
also keep it in mind that it may be your program, the computer still belongs to the user.
bukaida
I was specially thinking of e-books which are in PDF format. Is it, by some means possible to restrict access to the matter after a specified time/access ? Also one more thing I want to know, If I purchase a e-book, is it legal to distribute it among others ? In case of paper book, however, photocopy and distribution is prohibited in our country.
dude_xyx
I can't think way to do it. whatever you do if someone make the file read-only then it won't be deleted.
bukaida
I am having an idea, don't know if it is feasible. Since I am concerned about the text material, a software may be designed to hold the content in it's proprietary format which can only be accessed through that software. The content is distributed integrated with the software with a validity license( I know license can be cracked but taking the normal case ) similar to the antivirus softwares. Can it be done? It is there for the digital archives, but none of them has the content destruction feature.
ocalhoun
bukaida wrote:
I am having an idea, don't know if it is feasible. Since I am concerned about the text material, a software may be designed to hold the content in it's proprietary format which can only be accessed through that software. The content is distributed integrated with the software with a validity license( I know license can be cracked but taking the normal case ) similar to the antivirus softwares. Can it be done? It is there for the digital archives, but none of them has the content destruction feature.

Sure, that'll work great... Until one of two things happens:

1: Somebody copies the text out of your format and pastes it into another, then redistributes it.
2: Somebody writes their own program that can read your proprietary format. (Possibly by reverse engineering or cracking your program, possibly by just decoding the format.)

It's computers.
If something can be displayed once, then it can be copied and displayed as many times as people want to.

Why are you so concerned about protecting the content anyway?
Free flow of information is more important than profits -- go open source and share it with everybody.
silverdown
Hmm interesting thought ...
Ultrak1ll
Quote:
1: Somebody copies the text out of your format and pastes it into another, then redistributes it.
2: Somebody writes their own program that can read your proprietary format. (Possibly by reverse engineering or cracking your program, possibly by just decoding the format.)

... or sombody can set their BIOS clock worng Laughing some use this very low tech approach.

I know a e-library where u can read books for free, but u cant copy the text. It's a flash application.
Also its possible to use OCR(Optical character recognition ), computer screenshots all the text and saves as text files lol.

Only way to protect text is make all ur text look like captcha Laughing

u probably have to make some app, add internet checks to it and crypt it.
..like steam does Evil or Very Mad
bukaida
Ultrak1ll wrote:

or sombody can set their BIOS clock worng Laughing some use this very low tech approach.

...Also its possible to use OCR(Optical character recognition ), computer screenshots all the text and saves as text files lol.

The BIOS clock trick no longer holds good and very easy to detect. Almost all the antivirus programs are able to detect it. Moreover, you may ruin other time dependent applications ( Some application license immediately expires if such tampering is detected) on your system.

The OCR technology is still at it's nascent stage and fails miserably for non english scripts. So that will not be a problem.

I think it is possible to resist certain keys in application ( like PrintScreen) by disabling the inturrupt from that application.

The idea of using flash is good though.
cybersa
My Idea:
Create a small app to view your file.
But it should open and display once it connected to internet and registered(First time).
Second time check whether to show or not.
Ultrak1ll
You should be more specific about what kind of application do you want (web or desktop) and in what programming language.
The latest trends tell that everyting is moving up to cloud wher companyes are in controll.

here is link about java: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6367567/protecting-content-in-jar-file
here is link about C++ : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2852557/protecting-content-files

For desktop use heavy encryption and use maybe DirectX to render text (no copy paste ) Twisted Evil .
Its all possible in Visual studio.

Some time ago i tried to get into crypters but was toooooooo lazy, need to learn more coding first.