FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


importance of physical Beauty?





ennymo
Hey guys~
I've always been told that appearance doesn't ever matter, and that people who look for appearance are shallow, etc. Instead, I've been told, look for personality and talents etc.
My question is, isn't physical beauty simply another talent our parents pass on? I mean, no one finds it shallow when people say for instance that they want a partner who's talented in music. Personality and stuff is partly genetic, partly environment; no one really chooses their personality anyways.
So why is it so much more shallow to look at the physical traits?
And.. how is love at first sight so noble and celebrated, when it's clearly just about appearance?
just my thoughts after today's psychology class! Hope I don't offend anyone Wink
Thoughts and comments please! What do you look for most in your partner? (for the lucky nonsingles,) What do you like most in your partner?

I am,
ennymo Laughing
FunDa
Hmmm .... That's very very deep and profound.

I think you have a very important point that you have mentioned. I think we have to consider that this is what really happens.


Makes us think twice about what people call love at first sight and true love and all such things Razz

Confused Confused Confused Confused
Coen
No matter how often we say that you should look at the inside of a person, beauty will always play a part in how we judge a person when we first meet them. I think you should rephrase it and state that a first appearance should not be the main thing upon which to judge a person.

And yes, you are right when you say that physical beauty is something we pass on. The reason why we are told not to solely look at them is because a person has much more to offer than just looks. However, I think looking at appearance is just biological. In essence, people all want healthy children and beautiful people appeal to our instincts because the chances of having children who will successfully reproduce is larger the moment they look good. As such, you will want to have a partner who looks good as well.

Why is it considered shallow, then, to look at appearance only? I think maybe that is because we humans are proud of the fact that we have 'overcome' our instinct and can and do override it at times by reasoning. If you go for looks purely then you let your instinct play a large part, and I guess you do by love at first sight as well.

BUT with love at first sight, people fall in love based on appearance (if we go by your analogy) and then get to know each other and notice that there is this click that makes them like each other even more. So even though the initial spark was caused by physical appearance, the personalities of the two people eventually turned out to match as well, causing the love and the relationship. And that is, I think, what is meant when we are told not to look at appearance alone. Eventually, personalities need to work together as well in order to make a relationship work, and you can't always judge a personality based on appearance.
therimalaya
Certainly, it is important. People feel confident inside him/her and can perform (or at least try) to give his/her best, if he/she is satisfied with the physical beauty. But on the other hand, you if you can feel the same confidence and enjoy the world without considering the physical beauty, it can not play any kind of vital role.
Da Rossa
Appearance doesn't matter for one's spirit. But would you be OK to live the rest of your life with someone whose appearance doesn't please you? That's not noble, I know. But what can we do?
Da Rossa
softonaseo15 wrote:
Physical beauty is doesn't matter in long term relationship because it is for some time after then only feeling and nature make your relation warm.......


You sure? Are you saying you get used to someones unpretty face every morning?
FunDa
Da Rossa wrote:
softonaseo15 wrote:
Physical beauty is doesn't matter in long term relationship because it is for some time after then only feeling and nature make your relation warm.......


You sure? Are you saying you get used to someones unpretty face every morning?



That's a good question we would all love to know the answer to Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Josso
Can't believe no-one mentioned in this thread that physical beauty is purely defined by perception/opinion.
Da Rossa
Josso wrote:
Can't believe no-one mentioned in this thread that physical beauty is purely defined by perception/opinion.

Well, since the physical beauty is for the ones in the couple to evaluate, meaning it doesn't matter whether Obama thinks my girl is nice or ugly, then it becomes important to us to discuss the beauty in abstract. No one is talking about someone's beauty in particular.
hitose
I think at some point in life is something that attracts us, especially in men, women are flirtatious, but always find a dress that makes them look good, and even less graceful woman often seems princess . Even I think this has nothing to do with the topic.
Da Rossa
hitose wrote:
I think at some point in life is something that attracts us, especially in men, women are flirtatious, but always find a dress that makes them look good, and even less graceful woman often seems princess . Even I think this has nothing to do with the topic.


So just a necessary sidenote: there are some women that, unfortunately, won't look good even with the best dress in the world Sad
Insanity
While I agree that physical beauty is often subjective, there seems to be a majority opinion on what qualifies as beautiful, especially when supermodels and tv stars are concerned.
andro_king
it depends on the persons interest.. its purely individuals mind set.. a thing which you like might not be liked by your friends.. just the same way.. a person whom you like might not be liked nor loved by other one.. everyone expect different things.. have a question ..where will you look for the first time if you look at a guy/girl..? ya ya its naughty..!! :p but its the fact..!! so physical appearance matters a lot..!!
pauline5765
Many people will answer telling you that you should not judge a book based on its cover and while that's a wise answer coming from the conscious mind of the person saying it still his subconscious mind will contradict him and force him to judge people based on their looks during initial encounters.

Physical beauty is extreemly important and all studies have shown that people judge each other based on their physical looks at least until they start to know each other well.

Before i tell you about these studies let me first remind you that physical attraction standards differ from one person to another. This means that you might be thinking that you are totally unattractive yet some people still find you very attractive!

So physical beauty is important but its extreemly important that you understand the correct definition of physical beauty so that you don't harm your self esteem unintentionally.

According to the attractiveness halo effect theory people associate good traits with attractive people before they even come in contact with them.

A study has shown that attractive people were rated more socially successful, more financially successful and happier than unattractive people by people who saw them for the first time.

In Another study teachers were asked to rate students based on their pictures and some text reports that were almost identical to each student but that were rearranged to appear different.

Teachers gave higher ratings to attractive students and believed that they are more intelligent while they thought of unattractive children as problem children.

Another study has shown that people tended to be more helpful when asked for help by an attractive or a well dressed person.

I could list 100 studies but the conclusion will still be the same. Physical beauty is extreemly important.

What is physical beau
shoaib
Physical Beauty is really matters in any relationship specially in the relation of lovers.....
mgeek
Girls don't seem to have problems with appearances. But boys give it importance since the are more visual, psychologically.
Da Rossa
Sorry, the woman must be at least comfortable to look.
BigGeek
ennymo wrote:
Hey guys~
I've always been told that appearance doesn't ever matter, and that people who look for appearance are shallow, etc. Instead, I've been told, look for personality and talents etc.
My question is, isn't physical beauty simply another talent our parents pass on? I mean, no one finds it shallow when people say for instance that they want a partner who's talented in music. Personality and stuff is partly genetic, partly environment; no one really chooses their personality anyways.
So why is it so much more shallow to look at the physical traits?
And.. how is love at first sight so noble and celebrated, when it's clearly just about appearance?
just my thoughts after today's psychology class! Hope I don't offend anyone Wink
Thoughts and comments please! What do you look for most in your partner? (for the lucky nonsingles,) What do you like most in your partner?

I am,
ennymo Laughing


OK I take a little exception to what was said here......we don't chose our personality? HUH? What?

I'm steering off topic here about why looks are attractive to men, so I can get after something about life, behavior and personality that needs to be made clear!!!

You do chose your personality and how you behave. Getting jealous over a simple thing like a partner admiring another persons appearance or looking at a attractive member of the opposite sex in a magazine or online picture. Deciding that it is OK to be jealous, and insult, ridicule, destroy property, or physically hurt your partner because you (not you personally, just sayin') are unable to control your emotions or actions, and then justify destructive outbursts.

These personality traits are something that each of us has complete control over, they are not just some aspect of ourselves that we acquire and have no control over and just happens.

We each decide it we are going to feel secure or insecure, adequate or inadequate, peaceful or angry, happy or sad. Blaming another person for our emotions, and justifying our actions as acceptable when they are not is a personality trait that we each have control over that allows us to interact with each other.

In other words being an intelligent, calm, rational person that has control over their emotions, and can be calm during difficult situations is something we have control over and can work on, not just something that we have not control over!!

Now back on topic.

Why shouldn't physical appearance matter, it matters to me, as a guy, and it matters to my girlfriend as well. Physically fit strong muscular body is a sign of a person that cares enough about themselves to eat well, exercise regularly and keep destructive habits at a distance. To me it demonstrates a person that has the discipline to work at their body and appearance.

Sure some people have better genetics than others, that is why there are body types such as mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph. Each of us has the limitations of our genetics, and can not do anything about that, but within the frame work of those genetics we can achieve a lot. A tall thin skinny guy can achieve a great physique through discipline and hard work, so can a person with a pear body and so on.

At 53 years old I have been involved with bodybuilding since I was a teenager and one of the greatest bodybuilding stories is about Larry Scott, the first man to win the Mr. Olympia contest back in the 60's. He was a pear body, and not the typical mesomorph body like Arnold Schwarzenegger with narrow waist and broad shoulders. Never the less he trained hard and built a great body and was a champion. Within the genetic limitations of his pear body he was able to achieve a great physique.

Physically fit strong muscular body for both men and women are attractive, and should be, and there is nothing wrong with that nor is it something I am ashamed of.

If you are not happy with your body change it, just like if you are not happy with your personality change it......it can be done!!
Cool
Insanity
I agree. I think it's important, but it shouldnot be the main thing used to judge whether someone is suitable for a relationship. But I think attraction is a big part of relationships, and if you don't find the other person attractive, then there's going to be problems later on.
johannespilz
i think its not important at all. the weird thing is though, that a beautiful girl is (9 out of 10 cases) extremely confident altough she might have not achieved anything that would lead to that. on the other hand many guys who have good education, diplomas, jobs etc are still shy, unconfident because they dont know their value. cause noone ever showed them to be proud of what they are and achieve.

a beautiful girl gets this great feedback all the time. whatever she does peoplke (men) like it. and that leads to this extremly confident behaviour
nijanblisse
I think obvisouly physical beauty is somethign one should look for....u have to b attracted to them!!! no only that but ill use myself for instance...I beleive in exercising and grooming and taking care of your body...Who wants to be 60 and fat, cont do anything, and get diabetes!!!!! obviously I am looing at physical attributes that can express they too take care of themselves. You like music? many a time musicians in different genres tend to have a certain style...physical attribute is it not? we wnat someone to connect with are more than one level...physical is the first biological level there is...it can lead to a reasoning of a deeper level...and be the beginning of finding the deeper levels are common as well.....
zimmer
i preferred appearance and beauty.
siemens13
Physical beauty also increase confidence.
johannespilz
so true. have u ever seen hot girls. they are the most confident persons u will ever meet in your life. and why? because of no reason, they just got this amazing feedback all their life without doing anything. thats as well why they sometimes struggle in life cause they dont get that it sometimes needs effort to achieve things. of course thats the stereotype but most of the times its true
gotitclean
According to the attractiveness halo effect theory people associate good traits with attractive people before they even come in contact with them. A study has shown that attractive people were rated more socially successful, more financially successful and happier than unattractive people by people who saw them for the first time. In Another study teachers were asked to rate students based on their pictures and some text reports that were almost identical to each student but that were rearranged to appear different. Teachers gave higher ratings to attractive students and believed that they are more intelligent while they thought of unattractive children as problem children. Another study has shown that people tended to be more helpful when asked for help by an attractive or a well dressed person.
loveandormoney
ennymo wrote:
Hey guys~
I've always been told that appearance doesn't ever matter, and that people who look for appearance are shallow, etc. Instead, I've been told, look for personality and talents etc.
My question is, isn't physical beauty simply another talent our parents pass on? I mean, no one finds it shallow when people say for instance that they want a partner who's talented in music. Personality and stuff is partly genetic, partly environment; no one really chooses their personality anyways.
So why is it so much more shallow to look at the physical traits?
And.. how is love at first sight so noble and celebrated, when it's clearly just about appearance?
just my thoughts after today's psychology class! Hope I don't offend anyone Wink
Thoughts and comments please! What do you look for most in your partner? (for the lucky nonsingles,) What do you like most in your partner?

I am,
ennymo Laughing


For man and men it is very important.
Men ieave a date, when she has the wrong hair color.
Women look for the character.
likeabreeze
Physical beauty is certainly very important, that's exactly the reason why there are so many people doing cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Outer beauty plays an undeniable role in school, marriage, and work, etc.
There was even news that some graduates lost their lives from the plastic surgery, which they thought could help them get good salary.
loveandormoney
Quote:

Physical beauty is certainly very important, that's exactly the reason why there are so many people doing cosmetic and plastic surgery.



Plastic surgery says: I am hating my body.

I want to see other people.[/code]
Caleb
I think physical beauty is not much to find out a true love because you need mutual understanding with other person.Because it is necessary for a long term relation even that you don't have physical beauty.
stanloplato
I believe that, for a good relationship to last, looks ie beauty is very important. a woman will always lose a certain percentage of worth without beauty. people might say it is not important as long as the understand themselves.... that is a lie... only thing u can say is beauty lie in the eyes of the beholder. one might see beauty in someone and someone else might not.
johans
physical appearance is important but i guess this will depends in all what you do. It can be based or a part of a factor but the personality is just like addition the more points you have the bigger sum you got. Very Happy
loveandormoney
johans wrote:
physical appearance is important but i guess this will depends in all what you do. It can be based or a part of a factor but the personality is just like addition the more points you have the bigger sum you got. Very Happy


What kind of humans are niterested in communication?
loveandormoney
So people
who like to live
they are beautiful.
dennisvdb94
She has to be smarrt
loveandormoney
dennisvdb94 wrote:
She has to be smarrt


And the boy?
And the man?

Should he be coarse ?
loveandormoney
dennisvdb94 wrote:
She has to be smarrt


And the boy?
And the man?

Should he be coarse ?
mustatab
As one gets older every women looks beautiful in some ways. body, mind, looks each has its own beauty
loveandormoney
Caleb wrote:
I think physical beauty is not much to find out a true love because you need mutual understanding with other person.Because it is necessary for a long term relation even that you don't have physical beauty.


Sorry.
I cannnot understand this.
zaqmugo
ennymo wrote:
Hey guys~
I've always been told that appearance doesn't ever matter, and that people who look for appearance are shallow, etc. Instead, I've been told, look for personality and talents etc.
My question is, isn't physical beauty simply another talent our parents pass on? I mean, no one finds it shallow when people say for instance that they want a partner who's talented in music. Personality and stuff is partly genetic, partly environment; no one really chooses their personality anyways.
So why is it so much more shallow to look at the physical traits?
And.. how is love at first sight so noble and celebrated, when it's clearly just about appearance?
just my thoughts after today's psychology class! Hope I don't offend anyone Wink
Thoughts and comments please! What do you look for most in your partner? (for the lucky nonsingles,) What do you like most in your partner?

I am,
ennymo Laughing


physical appearance matters more to men
loveandormoney
And money.

These are the things
which are important for men.
jamesparker
Physical Appearance is so important , not completely but at least 50% of the persons is appearance. Else every thing comes after this.
codersfriend
It is not important. And beauty is interpreted differently in people
loveandormoney
jamesparker wrote:
Physical Appearance is so important , not completely but at least 50% of the persons is appearance. Else every thing comes after this.


What are the other 50%
The money?
Baznik
This changes with age. The older you get and closer to death the more obvious it becomes that love is everything. Physical beauty is mostly a trick to ensure pregnancy but love is the real blessing. If you have money you can buy all the beautiful sex you like but without love you will die the worst of wretches.
loveandormoney
Baznik wrote:
This changes with age. The older you get and closer to death the more obvious it becomes that love is everything. Physical beauty is mostly a trick to ensure pregnancy but love is the real blessing. If you have money you can buy all the beautiful sex you like but without love you will die the worst of wretches.





More old
more beautiful.

Quote:



This changes with age.



This changes with age.
hanshenkerman
Well, I guess what really matters is what you do and not what you get or have received (beauty, talent, etc.). Qualities such as beauty and talent are, however, often a reflection of both genetics and the environment the person was nurtured in. These same factors can play significant roles in how much good you can do.
codersfriend
physical beauty is secondary
loveandormoney
hanshenkerman wrote:
Well, I guess what really matters is what you do and not what you get or have received (beauty, talent, etc.). Qualities such as beauty and talent are, however, often a reflection of both genetics and the environment the person was nurtured in. These same factors can play significant roles in how much good you can do.


Say it easy:

Be friendly: good relationship
be angry the whole day: sex is difficult.
tonberry
Nobody says that people who look at apperance are shallow. People say that about people who look ONLY at another person's appearance. Huge difference in that, and a bit of hypocrisy as well - when passing a homeless person, for example, most people are quick to judge and never find it to be wrong in any way, even if 5 seconds later they may instruct a friend they are walking with about how important it is to go beyond looks.

You seem to blend two terms into one: apperance and good looks. Appearance is more than just looks and it can be caught during talking, it includes the way someone's body is placed/moving and even things like the tone of voice and accent. It's the end product of thousand bits of sensory information. The first impression is also about all those things and sometimes in those rare glimpses you can catch the idea of who you are dealing with better than after 10 hours of 1on1 conversation, as subconscious expressions of body language etc. are mostly more accurate than story telling. It's easy to paint oneself with words as someone who one is not, but body tells a story of its own.

In other words, I'm all for first impressions and that includes love at first sight Wink
loveandormoney
How do ugly people show appearence?
Can You please explain this to me?
Related topics
The most beautiful girl
Girlfriend!! Girlfriend!! Girlfriend!!
Are everyone football obsessed?
Breast Ironing - an African tradition
Beauty is the Pattern of Nature
What's your I deal woman/man?
Paris Hilton - Do you think she is hot?
Tyra Banks gone nuts?
Einstein proves Religion
Travelling Bali Island, The Ultimate Island!
True Beauty
25 Myths About Christianity
Never be Alone---Phoney or rich
If You Fail How Do You Get Back Up
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Relationships

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.