FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to deal with Attention Deficit Disorder?

codersfriend
I've done some psychological tests on the internet and I just found out I have Attention deficit disorder (ADD) or in other term I have somewhat little attention span. I realized that throughout my life I'm having this sort of problem which is also similar on the symptoms. Like I have problem in listening to a conversation, I easily get distracted, I can't read a book well (Though I love books, I have to read a chapter sometimes twice to fully get the message), I'm a bit disorganized. Sometimes I get very patient and gets the tendency to blurt inappropriate comments without thinking the consequences. So have you ever encountered the same? and how would I get rid of this. I'm afraid that someday I might fail because of this.

Thanks
loremar
I have that too. I scored 27/100 for attention test just now. Reading repetitively and not easily able to understand what people says is so true for me. Still, I think it's better to ask an expert to know whether you really have ADD.

Also, I did Personality Disorder test just now. And I wasn't so surprised about the results, I have something either Avoidant Personality or Schizoid Personality and yes, it did have a toll on my life. Jeez, What's the f***n wrong with me? Confused
codersfriend
loremar wrote:

Also, I did Personality Disorder test just now. And I wasn't so surprised about the results, I have something either Avoidant Personality or Schizoid Personality and yes, it did have a toll on my life. Jeez, What's the f***n wrong with me? Confused

I think I got a light from that.. I feel too I have schizoid.. because of my approach to people and lifestyle.. I'll try to take a test too
badai
what's wrong with it? only women pay attention.
deanhills
codersfriend wrote:
I've done some psychological tests on the internet and I just found out I have Attention deficit disorder (ADD) or in other term I have somewhat little attention span. I realized that throughout my life I'm having this sort of problem which is also similar on the symptoms. Like I have problem in listening to a conversation, I easily get distracted, I can't read a book well (Though I love books, I have to read a chapter sometimes twice to fully get the message), I'm a bit disorganized. Sometimes I get very patient and gets the tendency to blurt inappropriate comments without thinking the consequences. So have you ever encountered the same? and how would I get rid of this. I'm afraid that someday I might fail because of this.

Thanks
I find for myself that too much Internet is never a good thing for an accurate diagnosis, so hope you are in a position to consult a proper health practitioner for confirmation of your self-diagnosis. There are so many symptoms that may belong to something else that are also mimicked in ADD. All of this could eventually drive one crazy as well.

loremar wrote:
I have that too. I scored 27/100 for attention test just now. Reading repetitively and not easily able to understand what people says is so true for me. Still, I think it's better to ask an expert to know whether you really have ADD.

Ditto! Were the tests in English? As that could be a factor too. Smile
loremar
Quote:
Ditto! Were the tests in English? As that could be a factor too.

Yes. I didn't understand some of the questions. And in some choices, I wasn't sure if that was what I think it was. I probably exaggerated some answers. I know I'm shy but it's probably not that serious.
tiffybanks
Hi Codersfriend,

Have you been experienced chiropractic care to help improve the ADHD condition?

For you to know, chiropractors do not treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Boys for some reason, ADHD seems to afflict boys more often than girls.

However, since ADHD appears as a neurological disorder and chiropractic care attempts to reduce nervous system disturbances, many parents who want a natural, non-drug solution for their child have found chiropractic care helpful.

Common Symptoms

The classic signs that parents and teachers notice:

-Inattention, hyperactivity and being easily distracted
-Difficulty concentrating and sitting still
-Inability to control impulsive thoughts and behaviors
-Easily distracted by noises and activities
-Always moving—fingers, hands, arms, feet or legs

First Things First

Begin by making nutritional and lifestyle changes. Rule out environmental factors by reducing your child's exposure to substances that are increasingly common these days:

-Remove food dyes, preservatives and additives from the diet.
-Focus on natural, organic foods grown without pesticides or herbicides.
-Determine if an allergy is involved such as dairy or gluten and eliminate.
-Eliminate all sugars and artificial sweeteners.
- Reduce the use of cleaning agents, detergents, fabric softeners and other chemicals.

These are wise choices whether your child has the symptoms associated with ADHD or not!
Boys

The most common treatment is the prescription of a Class 2 psychotropic drug.
Traditional Treatment

A popular approach to controlling symptoms of ADHD is to administer regular doses of methylphenidate. More commonly known as Ritalin®.

Ritalin® is a schedule II controlled substance related to, and producing similar effects as, amphetamines and cocaine. The side effects, including personality changes and permanent changes to the brain, cause many parents to look for alternatives.
Chiropractic: Pure and Natural

Instead of treating the various symptoms of hyperactivity, we look for disturbances to the child’s nervous system. We often find problems caused by spinal distortions in the upper neck.

In fact, this link between the spine, brain stem dysfunction and ADHD is common. A thorough chiropractic examination can reveal noticeable spinal distortion, even a reversal of the normal neck curve. Thats why we often recommend a schedule of safe and natural chiropractic adjustments to help reduce the accompanying nervous system tension.

Find Out More

As parents, we want the best for our children. If your child exhibits the symptoms of ADHD, you know it affects virtually everyone your child is in contact with. As you consider your options, get a thorough chiropractic evaluation.
Vanilla
codersfriend wrote:

Thanks

The Internet is not a doctor. Only a professional can diagnose your problem.

If your really want to improve your concentration you need to get used to isolate yourself from time to time. Do you have something to do? Go to a silent place and turn off your cell phone. I watched a lecture about two weeks ago on how to write a scientific paper and to me it looked like that the guy was talking directly to the people with ADD in the classroom (me included). I do have the attention span of a goldfish and it is very hard for me to get things done. The key was to isolate myself - no talking to other people, no checking e-mail - because I needed to write a big essay. I did it in two freaking days.

As for the Internet problem the fact is that we are becoming more and more multi-task, which I think is an horrible thing. We are able to do a lot of things at the same time, but we can't do these things very well. If you're doing some thing that needs more attention, go for it and try to keep your focus on this thing at least for some time (I think my limit is two hours or it will drive me mad).
FunDa
Vanilla wrote:
codersfriend wrote:

Thanks

The Internet is not a doctor. Only a professional can diagnose your problem.

If your really want to improve your concentration you need to get used to isolate yourself from time to time. Do you have something to do? Go to a silent place and turn off your cell phone. I watched a lecture about two weeks ago on how to write a scientific paper and to me it looked like that the guy was talking directly to the people with ADD in the classroom (me included). I do have the attention span of a goldfish and it is very hard for me to get things done. The key was to isolate myself - no talking to other people, no checking e-mail - because I needed to write a big essay. I did it in two freaking days.

As for the Internet problem the fact is that we are becoming more and more multi-task, which I think is an horrible thing. We are able to do a lot of things at the same time, but we can't do these things very well. If you're doing some thing that needs more attention, go for it and try to keep your focus on this thing at least for some time (I think my limit is two hours or it will drive me mad).

The Internet is not a doctor - That is a very important point to take note of. DO NOT trust the diagnosis you get from the internet. ALWAYS consult a real doctor and if needed get a second opinion from another doctor. And ALWAYS tell the doctor your entire story of your symptoms. there might be some small seemingly silly symptoms that can be a big clue to the right diagnosis
deanhills
FunDa wrote:
The Internet is not a doctor - That is a very important point to take note of. DO NOT trust the diagnosis you get from the internet. ALWAYS consult a real doctor and if needed get a second opinion from another doctor. And ALWAYS tell the doctor your entire story of your symptoms. there might be some small seemingly silly symptoms that can be a big clue to the right diagnosis
Good advice. Including a second opinion if in doubt. All doctors are not equal, or may miss something when they're not looking for it.
magnustoday
Treatment for ADHD may involve medication, behavioral and psychologic interventions, and/or educational interventions. Decisions regarding the choice of therapy should involve the patient and his or her parents, who, in conjunction with the treating clinician, must weigh the risks and benefits to determine their choice of therapy.
Koltaam
My 12 yo spent 8 years in a virtual jail of ADHD, ODD (oppositional disorder), memory problems, migraines, emotional rollercoasters, intermittent puffing up, asthma, constant sniffling and stuffed nose, sleep apnea, insomnia, generalized inflammation… I'm probably forgetting a few.
> >She had terrible reflux as a baby, to the point of "failure to thrive", head banging… She gets bi weekly shots against allergy,etc... She's now on a very restrictive diet … maybe 15 different foods altogether (no food chemicals, gluten soy, nutsat all, and very low amines, sals, gluten, dairy)

She' got a life back, she's on the honors roll, she dances and swims and got "into" martial arts. WITHOUT ONE SINGLE MEDICATION...

Please parents, don't neglect the food connection.
mshafiq
Engaged the child in different environment ,different activities that need attention.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
codersfriend wrote:

Thanks
I find for myself that too much Internet is never a good thing for an accurate diagnosis, so hope you are in a position to consult a proper health practitioner for confirmation of your self-diagnosis. There are so many symptoms that may belong to something else that are also mimicked in ADD. All of this could eventually drive one crazy as well.

loremar wrote:

Also, I did Personality Disorder test just now. And I wasn't so surprised about the results, I have something either Avoidant Personality or Schizoid Personality and yes, it did have a toll on my life. Jeez, What's the f***n wrong with me? :?
Ditto! Were the tests in English? As that could be a factor too. :)

Dean is right. The Internet, the cell phone, the smartphone, surfing channels on TV--all these things can aggravate this feeling. Diet and of course your family and relationships can affect it.

But these symptoms are not only ADD--you might not have ADD, it might be a natural reaction to your environment. Read this: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suffer-the-children/201203/why-french-kids-dont-have-adhd
tonberry
If someone is too beat up about his ADHD, one fun fact about it Smile

"If you or someone you know has a child that has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), chances are the child is actually just fine. At least this is what the "father" of ADHD, Leon Eisenberg, would presumably say if he were still alive. On his death bed, this psychiatrist and autism pioneer admitted that ADHD is essentially a "fictitious disease," which means that millions of young children today are being needlessly prescribed severe mind-altering drugs that will set them up for a life of drug addiction and failure.

As explained by The Sons of Liberty host Bradlee Dean, who also writes for The D.C. Clothesline, ADHD was merely a theory developed by Eisenberg. It was never actually proven to exist as a verifiable disease, despite the fact that Eisenberg and many others profited handsomely from its widespread diagnosis. And modern psychiatry continues to profit as well, helping also to fill the coffers of the pharmaceutical industry by getting children addicted early to dangerous psychostimulant drugs like Ritalin (methylphenidate) and Adderall (amphetamine, dextroamphetamine mixed salts)."

So don't take those #$% medicines and never give them to your children!