FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop Bootup Problems...

izcool
Hey everyone,

I'm having problems booting my laptop now. Just last night I ran a utility called "Disk Clean Wizard" to help clean up some hard drive space, since it only has a 1GB hard drive, and not it's not wanting to boot to Windows. It just sits on the "Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Plus!" screen and doesn't continue onward with the rest of the boot process. The bar on the bottom scrolls just fine, acting like it's booting, and the hard drive led on the unit lights up acting like it's booting still, but nothing.

Some advice would be helpful.

Here's a list of what I tried so far :
- Letting the system sit over night to try to boot, but still nothing, stayed on the same screen
- Try to boot to Windows 95 Startup disk, but didn't read disk at all (Disk downloaded from www.bootdisk.com)
- Tried to boot to Windows 98 Startup disk, but booted into DOS when selecting "Safe Mode" option
- Tried hitting the F8 key on boot, to see if it will bring up the menu to get into safe mode, but no menu came up

I'm guessing I will have to recopy the startup files that the system needs from a floppy disk from somewhere else as they might have been tampered with and removed ? Surprising to me because there's no error that comes up. The laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, so it's very hard to try to reformat the machine since I don't have a copy of Windows that's installed on Floppy disks.

The laptop can have a CD-ROM drive, but they're sorta expensive on eBay. I should try to save up to buy one as I wanted to get Windows 98 onto it at least. I don't think the laptop is entirely screwed over, because of what I said in the previous 2 sentences before this one.

Specs of laptop if you guys needed it :
- Compaq LTE 5400
- Pentium 150MHz
- 1.0GB Hard Drive
- Floppy Drive
- 32MB RAM
- Microsoft Windows 95 with Microsoft Plus! (Won't boot into now, it was just fine last night)

Thanks in advance.

- Mike.
n0xvb
Hi izcool, can you try to boot in safe mode? Hit F5 before the "Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Plus" splash screen to do it..
mwm
WOW.

How much time do you want to spend making a computer with a 1gb HArd Drive work?
What OS is on the machine? Windows 95? If it is 95 then F8 wont work. Sounds like there are missing/corrupt system files on the disk. You could try replacing these files but I wouldn't recommend it. Since there is only a 1gb hdd in it, it would seem there most likely isn't a huge amount of data on the disk. I would get a new drive if the laptop hardware is worth investing in. How fast is it?

If there is data to be saved, yank the drive and put in a diff machine to get the needed data. You could even do this on a desktop PC using an IDE converter (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsforless/25to35laphar.html).

I guess what I am saying is that you really need to consider this machines specs. How much time are you willing to put into making it work? Personally I would avoid it but I'm sure we can help if you really want to get it running.

-mwm
izcool
n0xvb wrote:
Hi izcool, can you try to boot in safe mode? Hit F5 before the "Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Plus" splash screen to do it..

I tried F8 and F5 to try to get into Safe Mode but no menu comes on.

- Mike.
izcool
mwm wrote:
WOW.

How much time do you want to spend making a computer with a 1gb HArd Drive work?
What OS is on the machine? Windows 95? If it is 95 then F8 wont work. Sounds like there are missing/corrupt system files on the disk. You could try replacing these files but I wouldn't recommend it. Since there is only a 1gb hdd in it, it would seem there most likely isn't a huge amount of data on the disk. I would get a new drive if the laptop hardware is worth investing in. How fast is it?

If there is data to be saved, yank the drive and put in a diff machine to get the needed data. You could even do this on a desktop PC using an IDE converter (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsforless/25to35laphar.html).

I guess what I am saying is that you really need to consider this machines specs. How much time are you willing to put into making it work? Personally I would avoid it but I'm sure we can help if you really want to get it running.

-mwm

In a few months I planned on buying a newer laptop, the one that's giving me problems I got for free from a friend. I hardly use this thing but I feel really ashamed right now about running a utility that makes it unbootable now. Sad I had it sit all night and it didn't finish the boot process. My only options would look like to be copy the files that it needs to boot the system (which files I don't know) or to buy a CD-ROM drive on eBay ($30 I estimated from other auctions) to reformat it to something like Windows 98, which is probably the maximum this thing can handle.

- Mike.
izcool
Ok everyone, I got some good news for all of you. Smile

I've figured out how to fix it, I ran a Windows 98 Boot Disk in the laptop and read the Help file to figure out what I could do to get it to work again. It told me to run the command "SYS C:" in the command prompt, it will re-copy boot files to the hard drive (which might have been affected). When I did, it worked. Very Happy Very excited about getting it to work again.

Reference link if anyone experiences the same problem as I had :

http://www.computerhope.com/syshlp.htm

Moderators, if you want to lock this topic, please feel free to do so, as the issue is resolved on my own research.

Thanks again to those who replied to this post.

- Mike.
noliver
Well if you request it to be locked - then how can we deny you ? hehehe.
-close-