FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Custom Built Desk

ocalhoun
So, I moved to a small room, and had 5 computers to place somewhere... what to do?

THIS!

The three computers on the top shelf (linux computer, server, and gaming/video computer) -- as well as the tablet on the swinging stand to the right -- all share the TV and the mouse & keyboard in front of it through a KVM switch.
(And speaking of the tablet, in case you're curious, that's an old wall-mount for a CRT TV, repurposed to now be a convenient holder for my tablet.)
The TV is also used for the gamecube next to it.
The printer up top is connected to the server (smallest computer on top shelf), and shared to all the computers.
The stereo system behind the laptop is currently only hooked up to the gaming/video computer, but when my audio switch finally arrives, it will be switchable between several sources, just like the TV.
And finally, the extra monitor mounted above the laptop is used for a second screen on the laptop.
The desk itself, I built from stock lumber; 8 8-foot 2x4's and 1 sheet of plywood.
Pretty good handyman work there, if I do say so myself! ^.^
Took a couple weeks to finish, most of that due to waiting for multiple coats of stain and polyurethane to dry.
Oh, and that black stuff on the desk? Those are super-sized mousepads (you can find them at office supply stores), cut down to the perfect size and shape for what I needed.... I think they provide a great finishing touch. ^.^
And so, using a little carpentry, the magic of KVM switches, math*, and the art of utilizing vertical space, I fit 5 computers in the space most people would allocate for just one!
Problem solved.

*Had to break out the trigonometry to figure out what angles and lengths the diagonal braces should be, because it all had to be cut, then painted, then assembled, because it won't fit through the door assembled, and I don't want paint drying in my bedroom.
deanhills
Great job! Nice carpentry work. When I first looked at the photo I thought it was one of those store bought jobs that you had adapted, this is obviously much better and more solid and built completely from scratch using trigonometry no less. Cool

I really like the big LCD, the one you also featured in your other post about the Tablet, the colours look pretty amazing in it. If I may ask, what model and make is it? It also looks like a perfect size as well.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Great job! Nice carpentry work. When I first looked at the photo I thought it was one of those store bought jobs that you had adapted, this is obviously much better and more solid and built completely from scratch using trigonometry no less. Cool

That's a nice thing too... All but the most expensive store bought furniture is particle board these days... which will deteriorate pretty fast, especially if you get any moisture at all on it.
This one's solid wood, and could last a very long time as long as it isn't abused.
Quote:

I really like the big LCD, the one you also featured in your other post about the Tablet, the colours look pretty amazing in it. If I may ask, what model and make is it? It also looks like a perfect size as well.

That's a 32", 720p TV from Emerson... a cheap, budget model actually.
(Though I did pick it because of the budget TV's on display at the store, it did have the best vivid colors and the best picture quality.)
It has a VGA input, which allows me to use it as a computer monitor as well.
(Though I'm actually a bit disappointed with its performance in that regard... It will display 1360x720 resolution... but ONLY if the input starts at something lower and then changes to that... so if I'm not careful about my sequence of booting up/turning on TV, it will give a 'cannot display this resolution' error and force me to restart the computer.)

It fits perfectly because I bought it before designing the desk... and so, was able to design the desk to fit it absolutely perfectly.

...In fact, if you look at it, you'll notice everything on the desk pretty much fits with just barely enough room; that's because I planned out the desk layout, then designed a desk to fit that perfectly... which minimizes the space in the room used by the desk: no wasted empty desk space.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
...In fact, if you look at it, you'll notice everything on the desk pretty much fits with just barely enough room; that's because I planned out the desk layout, then designed a desk to fit that perfectly... which minimizes the space in the room used by the desk: no wasted empty desk space.
Right. I did notice it. No spare space for a cat. Although most cats are so light and flexible, they'd probably find a little corner any where.

Thanks for the info about the TV. Never realized it was a TV and thought it was more like 19 inches or so. Also thanks for that heads up about the VGA. At one stage I was thinking of upgrading my TV in my living room - an LG - and use the current one with my computer. Think I'm going to look for a dedicated computer LCD or LED instead. Still have to figure out what the difference is between the two though.
fuzzkaizer
Now that's a fine work station - sort of a cockpit I'd say!
Dennise
Ocalhoun, nice job!

I hope there's little seismic activity in your area!
deanhills
Dennise wrote:
Ocalhoun, nice job!

I hope there's little seismic activity in your area!
Laughing That should be interesting!
nguyenvulong
wow I love the room wit many screens, like an system administrator manage all over the network Wink
Josso
My ultimate goal is to have a matrix type setup with 1 keyboard and mouse with selector switch.
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:
My ultimate goal is to have a matrix type setup with 1 keyboard and mouse with selector switch.

It's actually very easy. Just use a KVM switch like I did (only $50 or so), but instead of running the video signals through it to one monitor, keep a separate monitor for each computer.
Add in a stand like this one:

And you've got it.

Assuming you've already got one monitor per computer, you could easily do it for under $200.
LxGoodies
Wow that looks really great ocalhoun ! Smile and a big project Razz I'm too lazy, I park these old PC's under the table..

Lx
nguyenvulong
hey those screens are really cool, I love the big one Razz
the laptop seems to be a bit old, it's DELL latitude right?
ocalhoun
nguyenvulong wrote:

the laptop seems to be a bit old, it's DELL latitude right?

It is a bit old, 2008 vintage. And it's a toshiba, not a dell.