FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which spower supply should I choose

Marcuzzo
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a new PC and need some advise on component selection

I will not be using this pc for gaming, maybe I will if it will be able to run them, but my goal is more of a decent development pc.
I mostly use Visual studio 2010, expression blend, Gimp, Inkscape, ect... to develop websites, applications and graphics

I've disassembled serval PC's but I never had to make a choice of components as these pc's were all older PC's (Dell, HP...ect)
this makes the task of selecting components even harder for me.
I've assembled the following harware package over at azert.nl but I'm not sure which power supply I should choose, to be more specific what the minimum should be in WATT's

pls note that this is a dutch site:
http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje/?legen=1&product%5B404841%5D=2&product%5B477704%5D=1&product%5B409400%5D=1&product%5B388654%5D=1&product%5B451621%5D=1
william
Do you plan on overclocking or adding any components later on? If not, a good 500 watt supply should do you just fine. Personally I would go for a good power supply unit in the 600 watt range just to have room for future proofing.

Also, just note that while wattage is important, avoid going for low quality high wattage power supplies since they often can't perform up to their specifications. For example, an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 Watt is able to provide more in the range of 550 watts. I would personally recommend Corsair's lineup since they perform very well and are relatively well priced.
weableandbob
I second william's idea. Corsair power supplies are reliable and well priced (I personally have a 650 watt one and bought an 850 watt one for a computer I built for a friend. Both are working flawlessly after more than a year of gaming). You probably want to avoid modular power supplies as well. They're nice to have, but they're more expensive and don't offer anything other than neater wiring.