FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would it be like to die?

zeep
What do you think it would be like to die?

I've been unconcious before, I went unconcious at around 5:00PM one night, I came to at around 6:00AM the next morning, I had remembered NOTHING from the night before or what happened, and it seemed like a few seconds had passed. I imagine it would be something like that, except you would never wake up again.
We're connected to everything through the matrix. Everything has energy. I believe that when we die we transform into pure energy (leaving our bodies behind) and enter the matrix, just to be reborn as another being on this planet or on another planet.
I read somewhere that the chance of being born on this planet is like dropping something from space down to earth and hitting a very small area.
Gah, I've been rambling... I do that alot.

What are your views on this topic?
nasire
Hello,

I must say some of the subjects in these forums are of a quite depressing nature. Death and advertising and such =)

When looking at this analytically, I would guess that you would see a light as the synapses of your eyes and brain started sending out strange signals as the cells die and all sorts of wierd feelings might pop up.

Who knows... maybe the last few seconds of your life are distorted into years by your brain, in the same way that time is morphed when you fall asleep.....

Nas
Nameless
Dieing wouldn't be like anything. It would just be... nothing. There would be no feelings, no pain, no joy, no senses, just pure and unpoluted nothing. For the first time ever, you would be truly alone.

And then you'd be dead so it wouldn't matter anyway.
byt
very quiet I would think Laughing
TreadStone
I would like 2 die when I m a sleep silently..without pain
sylviakowalski
i would want to die in a freak gasoline fight accident Razz (Zoolander..hehe)

hmm i unno.. i don't think about death too often or deeply..

but i believe there is life after death. or at least i hope so!!

xo
earthchild
I believe the transition is made easy for each person's mind.

I'm thinking I'll probably be taken by angels or archangels. Maybe any loved ones who have past by then will be there too.

I'm thinking peaceful experience. I'll get to feel my soul's unfiltered joy again Smile

I read somewhere it's like taking off a really tight shoe.
mceejaydee
I've always wondered about that too...
Zaxus
I think maybe it would feel like plunging into cold water. And then the world would go dark.

Im not going to sleep for a while now. Laughing
godam64
i believe that when we die we will leave our body but our soul still conscious 100%. then after funeral the angels fetch us and asking about something we did in our life time.

they'll torture us badly if we do a lot of bad things when we life. but they don't do that if we just be a nice guy when we live. and then after all people dies or songthing we called armageddon we will resurected in a desert waiting for judgment day by god.

i thnik you already know the next phase. the nice guys go to heaven and the bad guys go to the hell. before we go to our destination we have to cross the thin bridge (width like hair). only good guys will get to the heaven.

if you believe that we become mana when we die. i think you already to much playing rpg games, so you don't have time to learn our own holy book. there are answer about your question about that. Smile
wistom
I've always wondered about that .
When we die, what will happen? really , wether our brain will come out or we will reborn to the plant as human being.
Whether we were pain when we were dieing. i dont konw anything about that.
Just know something from the internet and the ones post upload.
snowflake
I've always wondered how it feels to just 'die'.
Is it the feeling of not knowing when you'll fall asleep... and then you do?
Do you just go blank?
There are more things that I think about, but they're a bit hard to bring out into words :S
lerman
TreadStone wrote:
I would like 2 die when I m a sleep silently..without pain

i think so 2 this is the better way to die heh better then car accident Sad

BTW sometimes i have some feelings about death to and i think for what we live? if everyone will die?? allways when i have those feelings i just get out of my room and go find someone to talk with:)
yzy
I think there will be nothing,no any feeling,maybe very painful before you die,but quickly you will not feel any pain.I wonder,when we close our eyes,what we will see,light or darkness.
budazz
i think you wouldnt know
CamiBor
u can't really know until u actually die, so i don't want to guess
mariohs
don't wanna discover so early Very Happy
budazz
yeah i think this topic is very impossible to answer unless you experience it...but of course you cannot tell to everyone that you experieced to die bcoz you wont wake up anymore, lol
php_wizard_l33t
nobody knows anything about death lol
shwetanshu
i wud like to die while sleeping without pain but i dont want to experiece it such a young age,. LOL. i still havent got my driving licence and therefore cmy car is out of my reach. i want to drive my car b4 i die
tidruG
PErsonally, I'm a little word when it comes to my feelings and thoughts about Death. Death to me is a form of liberation. This life, this world traps me within the physical limits of my body. Death is the liberation... the freedom to be everything and anything... possible even at any point in space and time...

However, the physical feeling when you die really depends on the way you die. If you shoot yourself or something, it'll be like a moment of pain followed by no sensation. If you're being tortured slowly, then it would be grdual increase in pain until the ending bliss and non-sensation
criticaldensity
i assume it will be like falling asleep, vision will get dark and youll just fade away.
n0obie4life
shwetanshu wrote:
i wud like to die while sleeping without pain but i dont want to experiece it such a young age,. LOL. i still havent got my driving licence and therefore cmy car is out of my reach. i want to drive my car b4 i die

I would want my kids to grow up first before I die Rolling Eyes
shank
I would guess you would just...die

no angels, no symphonies, no nothing, just black and then you're dead! truly the topic to brighten anyone's day Rolling Eyes
reinevp
Just a really nice long sleep I'd imagine................
funnyerror
Dying could be many things. It depends on how you die. I would perfer a quick death without pain instead of a death by torture or suffocation or drowing etc...
By the way, I would perfer die falling off of a building if I had to choose.

-JC
bartdou
you lose your feeling, consciousness, just like falling asleep, then you know nothing, you die!
if you are luky, you will feel comfortable that you have never felt, you would like it last forever like this... all pains, unhappiness disappeared suddenly and entirely
windrei
i don't know if my feeling can be called "die" or not... i just once lying on the bed. Actually i was sleeping. But when i woke up at deep night, i could see myself lying on the bed........if you believe in soul, i think my soul has come out of the body.... that's why i could see my "body" me.... then i heard someone shouting, "it's not the place you suppose to be here".. then i really woke up together with my body... that's all..
lordeverkill
Well im afraid to die
and that sentance starts a verry long post Smile

is there and afterlife and if there was would u remember anything
i mean do babies really talk there ovn languae a different one than ours
and what is the pupose of ants there just there NOBODY LIKES THEm
well i dont anyway Cool

OR

when u die u become a god ovning your ovn planet seing them evolve or what this subject we can argue about for 1029474 hours
a.Bird
I don't know much about brain anatomy but I believe that cognition is just a condensation of brain signals... the more your brain develops and is able to thread greater amounts of signals the more cognitive you become. you begin to learn how to speak with other humans, ride a bike, problem solve, etc. In this fashion, I believe life, as some like to think of it as an entity within an organism, is really the presence of energy in any form... a human, a tree, an atom, etc. Thus, when you "die" you are really still alive. Your body will decay, feed other organisms, your matter will recycle and life will continue... energy will still exist. You will just no longer be cognitive, nor an entity that I can any longer refer to with any pronoun. The mind is a fascinating thing and this is just my uneducated theory.
Josso
The perspective that a second has passed between lots of hours (aka 10 or 12) is a very strange phenomenon that I have only experienced once in my life (in a different enviroment than usual, basically sleeping on someones floor in their house Laughing).

But back on task: Dying will probably be like just before sleep, your mind wanders as you slowly slip out of conciousness and is nothing like rational thought. You know, if you manage to remember those moments before sleep the morning after they make no sense (very like dreams). That's my interpretation anyway.
Inferno619
Your theory is pretty interesting, being energy after you die, and then being reborn on another planet or becoming a new person on this planet. And I also think the same of when you die. You fall asleep, and then just never wake up again. But, I have never been knocked out before, so I have never experianced the losing all memory of it.
Cal_123
I don't care. I live for the day at hand. I don't think about what will happen in the distant or near future, since I don't see any point in it.
Acuity
Dieing, the subject of, will always change from person to person - religion to religion - race to race etc etc.
thegregmann
i heard death is pretty much like your body just shuts down if you die from old age kinda like if you run out of oxygen you pass out firts then your body starts shutting down less vital organs but i belive its relatively painless unless you die from like a fire or something
otto
I think that when you die all the things you worried about in your whole life will fall away from you. You realise who are the persons you realy love and care for, an those people can very much feel that when you think of them that strong. The dying itself would be like something that is different for everyone. But in most cases it would be just like having a great salvia trip. (leaving to another space) only you will never come back Rolling Eyes Razz
meet in rio
I'm terrified of becoming 'nothing'. It's impossible to imagine.

It even scares me that I once was nothing.

Sometimes I'm afraid of dropping off to sleep because I just hate the idea of losing consciousness.

I'm not afraid of the pain; I'm afraid of the abyss.
Josso
meet in rio wrote:

Sometimes I'm afraid of dropping off to sleep because I just hate the idea of losing consciousness.

Good point but once nothing is there you won't have any knowledge of it because your sentience no longer exists.
Dragon2Storm
ever read the bible? nuf said.
a.Bird
Dragon2Storm wrote:
ever read the bible? nuf said.
Maybe the Bible isn't "nuf" for some people. Thanks for your extremely thoughtful input.
Dragon2Storm
=/ ok ok i get the point never dwell on the futer live in the present or you will never be happy.
mcdeath87
well i thought about dieing before and i think it would be like the lights go out. then after that nothing happens
arkebuzer
byt wrote:
very quiet I would think Laughing

hehe, I think so too.

I dont beleave in any religion, so I dont think there´s a heaven or hell (haha, good for me then, lol). Since our personallity is (scientifically) just electrical wireing in our brain we will just stop existing once we die... as simple as that.
jcvincent
it depends on how you die i guess. If you died being killed, then that's a different story. It must be painful. But if you died of a natural cause, then that's also another story. I always dream of me being decapitated.
seanooi
i never think about death. Sometimes I do, but it never occurs to me how would it be like to die.
I just live my life to the fullest and be happy that I've accomplish so much when I'm gone. Laughing
meet in rio
Josso wrote:
meet in rio wrote:

Good point but once nothing is there you won't have any knowledge of it because your sentience no longer exists.

I know it's illogical. That doesn't prevent it from scaring the willies out of me.
a.Bird
Maybe when you die you are finally waking up?
tom69
I don't realy believe in reincarnation, however it would be fun tough...

I think the moment before you die... feels lik enothing at all. I don't think you can describe it. I once got hit by a car when i was riding my bycicle and I can only remember the 3 minutes before the hit. I don't even remember the hit itself. My nails were gone and my hands were covered under blood. I had some wounds on my face and gues what.. I felt nothing.

This experience gave me a whole different look at the death. It's not something to fear at all i gues.

The one who will have the most pain are those that don't want you to die.
crimson_aria
I've always thought dying would be like seeing your body but cannot control it. Your soul is already apart from it.I thought my friends or family who died would come and fetch me too, saying it's my time and that there's a better place out there. My soul would stay in the Earth for days probably, before finally leaving.
Tabitha
i geuss that would depend on how you die.

drowning - horridly painful and violent way to die. i would imagine it would be complete agony.

in sleep would probably be like a dream no pain i would think, maybe even pleasent

murdered would suck
woundedhealer
I've had a near-death-experience. It happened a few years ago. I

I was standing in a meadow, which had a stream running through it. I saw this young man on the other side of the stream, leading a line of people. He told me he gathered the spirits of the newly dead to lead them to the Otherworld. He asked me if I wanted to join them. I said I couldn't, I had very young children, and they needed me. He assured me, that was ok, then carried on with these others following behind.

I don't want to go into details of why I had this NDE. I can say, it helped me a lot.

I believe that after we die, we go to the Otherworld until we are reborn again in this world. I believe the Otherworld is a wonderful place to be.
Helios
Well, there is only one way (or several Wink ) to find out... hehe Laughing
jon9314
you won't know what hit you you'll just cease to live
mialynavahy
hum... hard to say when you re alive Smile
maybe you will go to a better place so you will not afraid to die

here is a great quote of Newton :
"I don't know what I may seem to the world, but as to myself, I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea shore and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me".

Sir Isaac Newton
prym3r
We are all energy, and energy we will be Smile

The big question is : what kind of energy? Surprised

The felling of dying is what i am afreaid off... think of a night u sleep , and dont dream.. that space where nothing happens and u dont fell anything... thats what it may be... and im so scared of it.
toasterintheoven
dying will suck, obviously, just think about never being able to breath ever again
Bikerman
You were not in the universe for 13.7 billion years before you were born. Did you notive? Being dead simply means you won't be conscious, just as you were not conscious for the last several billion years. I don't find that frightening.
As a famous man once said:
Why fear death? Where death is, I am not and where I am, death is not.
deanhills
I don't think anyone has an idea really of what it is like to die. They would have to have died first, and then of course won't be able to tell us. We can take our own calculated guesses according to our personal belief or non-belief systems but I would like to find someone who can with evidence and authority say exactly what it is like to die.
Bluedoll
The dead have no awareness,
so that is it then. There is really nothing to talk about.
Death is like falling asleep never to wake up again.

Go into a spiritual realm,
very different between the physical
and our spiritual living,
just as there is a difference
in the evidence and the authority to give.

Author writes freely what really matters
things only the heart can find
find God and find advocate to life
find doubts and only death follows.
Bikerman
Of course we have an idea of what it is to die. Once the brain switches off then that's it. There is no sensation of any kind because there is nothing to process any such sensation. There is no thought of any kind because there is nothing to generate thought. There is no consciousness at any level because there is nothing to generate that consciousness. It isn't possible that a dead body can feel, think, be aware or do anything else which would distinguish it from an inanimate lump of clay.
There is no mystery and no doubt - switch the oxygen supply and the blood supply to the brain off, wait a few minutes and there you have it - death, the end of all 'self', the end of all possibility of consciousness feeling and sense.
deanhills
Wouldn't the aura that we have around us still hover a little after the brain has "turned off"? Like a light bulb that is switched off?
Bikerman
What aura? There is no aura. There is electromagnetic radiation - photons - as we radiate warmth into a cool(er) environment, and there is a tiny electromagnetic field generated by the electro-chemical impulses travelling along nerves and neurones. Neither of these are visible to the naked eye (unless you happen to have eyes sensitive in the 1-300 micrometre range - and trust me, you don't, and nor does anyone else apart from woo-woo merchants and new-age crystal wielding lentil eating eco-hippy morons - and that is because of the bad acid they took in the 1970s, not because they can actually see anything.
watersoul
What spoon, there is no spoon Laughing and the earth was flat before we discovered and proved it wasn't.
We're full of holes at the atomic level yet we can't see it ourselves, appearing instead as a solid body.
I keep an open mind about anything until science can prove or disprove it in a publication that has been peer-approved by the most learned scholars.
And straying back to the original topic, it wasn't that long ago people generally believed we died at the point of the last breath & heartbeat. Of course the discovery of (previously unknown) electrical activity in the brain changed all that - just as I'm sure we will discover much more about the body as our technology improves.
Bikerman
watersoul wrote:
What spoon, there is no spoon Laughing and the earth was flat before we discovered and proved it wasn't.
Common misconception. The Greeks worked out that the world was spherical in about 400 BCE. The notion which many people have (and I appreciate you may not share it) that people in the middle ages generally thought the world was flat - that is just wrong.
Quote:
We're full of holes at the atomic level yet we can't see it ourselves, appearing instead as a solid body.
But we have instruments which can and theory which tells us exactly what is going on. That theory (quantum theory) has been tested to destruction and it works every time. That theory tells us that the Auras described by mystics are not real phenomena.
Quote:
I keep an open mind about anything until science can prove or disprove it in a publication that has been peer-approved by the most learned scholars.
Proof is for mathematicians, not scientists. The idea of auras has been done. We know what is going on pretty well. It is based on Kirlian photography and plenty of people who want to believe. Even a kid knew that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Rosa
http://www.skepdic.com/kirlian.html
Quote:
And straying back to the original topic, it wasn't that long ago people generally believed we died at the point of the last breath & heartbeat. Of course the discovery of (previously unknown) electrical activity in the brain changed all that - just as I'm sure we will discover much more about the body as our technology improves.
Some truth here - there is good evidence that a brain which shows no electrical activity for some time can 'revive'. That is interesting and tells us something about how memory must work. It doesn't change the fact that once the brain is damaged to the point where it doesn't function then you are effectively dead. That happens in most cases within a few minutes of the heart stopping, but in some extreme cases, where the body is chilled rapidly to below 20 degrees, then that period can be extended to a few hours. It may well be that in the future we develop technology that can sustain an apparently dead person for a long time, but at present once the lack of oxygen kills the neurones then you are dead, end of story.
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:
Common misconception. The Greeks worked out that the world was spherical in about 400 BCE.

But prior to that no-one knew, and it was believed to be flat

Bikerman wrote:
But we have instruments which can and theory which tells us exactly what is going on. That theory (quantum theory) has been tested to destruction and it works every time.

And was previously unknown before the development of the theories and associated technology - the definition of "solid" being very different to what we now know today.

Bikerman wrote:
Proof is for mathematicians, not scientists. The idea of auras has been done. We know what is going on pretty well. It is based on Kirlian photography and plenty of people who want to believe. Even a kid knew that:

As I said, I keep an open mind, which can and will change as different concepts are debated. What I personally believe as probable or not can be different though. I personally do not believe in aura's, but equally I do not put limits or boundaries on what could be expected just because science has, as yet, been unable to detect something. X-rays "didn't exist" until we developed technology to view them.

Bikerman wrote:
Some truth here - there is good evidence that a brain which shows no electrical activity for some time can 'revive'. That is interesting and tells us something about how memory must work. It doesn't change the fact that once the brain is damaged to the point where it doesn't function then you are effectively dead. That happens in most cases within a few minutes of the heart stopping, but in some extreme cases, where the body is chilled rapidly to below 20 degrees, then that period can be extended to a few hours. It may well be that in the future we develop technology that can sustain an apparently dead person for a long time, but at present once the lack of oxygen kills the neurones then you are dead, end of story.

Nice to agree somewhere Laughing
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
What aura? There is no aura. There is electromagnetic radiation - photons - as we radiate warmth into a cool(er) environment, and there is a tiny electromagnetic field generated by the electro-chemical impulses travelling along nerves and neurones. Neither of these are visible to the naked eye (unless you happen to have eyes sensitive in the 1-300 micrometre range - and trust me, you don't, and nor does anyone else apart from woo-woo merchants and new-age crystal wielding lentil eating eco-hippy morons - and that is because of the bad acid they took in the 1970s, not because they can actually see anything.
I've understood the aura to be an energy field surrounding all living and dying things. If you want to call it electromagnetic radiation good for you and thanks for the detailed explanation. With regard to whether people can see that radiation, I do believe some can. It is a special gift.
Bikerman
watersoul wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Common misconception. The Greeks worked out that the world was spherical in about 400 BCE.

But prior to that no-one knew, and it was believed to be flat
Sure, but they didn't have one crucial thing - science.
Quote:
Bikerman wrote:
But we have instruments which can and theory which tells us exactly what is going on. That theory (quantum theory) has been tested to destruction and it works every time.

And was previously unknown before the development of the theories and associated technology - the definition of "solid" being very different to what we now know today.
But quantum theory absolutely rules out these 'auras' and quantum theory is the most successful scientific theory ever - never been wrong. It might be incompete - it probably is - but that doesn't allow wriggle-room for an aura in the same way that Newtonian gravity, though wrong, does not allow for apples falling upwards into the trees.
Quote:
Bikerman wrote:

As I said, I keep an open mind, which can and will change as different concepts are debated. What I personally believe as probable or not can be different though. I personally do not believe in aura's, but equally I do not put limits or boundaries on what could be expected just because science has, as yet, been unable to detect something. X-rays "didn't exist" until we developed technology to view them.
But the standard model tells us what particles there are and, importantly, what particles there can be. Again it may be incomplete - in fact it almost certainly is - but it rules out any particles which could account for a visible aura.
Just because scientific theory is incomplete does not mean that it cannot rule something out and Auras are an example.

The best evidence comes from the fact that many people who say they can see auras have been tested. Every one of them failed. In fact until recently they could have earned a million dollars simply for demonstrating any such ability, but Randi's money was, and is, quite safe. Nothing like putting your money where your mouth is Smile
watersoul
Cheers for the interesting discussion Bikerman, to be fair, I can't see many things we actually disagree about. I would say the only difference between us is that I will hold my mind open to any ridiculous possibility as long as a scientific theory remains incomplete. For me to do otherwise would be against the spirit of what I view science and research to be.
I will generally only believe what has been tested and researched by academics etc, as I believe you do also. But equally I will not put absolute limits on anything being true or untrue, more a case of a theory being likely or unlikely - Aura's for example falling strongly in the unlikely filing cabinet.
saratdear
Bikerman wrote:
Of course we have an idea of what it is to die. Once the brain switches off then that's it. There is no sensation of any kind because there is nothing to process any such sensation. There is no thought of any kind because there is nothing to generate thought. There is no consciousness at any level because there is nothing to generate that consciousness. It isn't possible that a dead body can feel, think, be aware or do anything else which would distinguish it from an inanimate lump of clay.
There is no mystery and no doubt - switch the oxygen supply and the blood supply to the brain off, wait a few minutes and there you have it - death, the end of all 'self', the end of all possibility of consciousness feeling and sense.

That may be correct, but your explanation is still from an outside perspective. Nobody can give first hand experience on how it is to die (unless you count near death experiences). Yes, you have no feelings after you die, but what is the feeling of 'no feeling'?
Bluedoll
It is true from a clinical view we can make a determination of what death is like. The dead body is indeed dead. The original question however did look at the prospect of death as to what comes next. To deny the possible existence of a another life with science however is to use science as an excuse for debate when it is something that can not be proved with physical evidence nor disproved.

Going from one state to another is something that not everyone will have a chance to talk about and only talked about, not proved, as was pointed out by saratdear. To disbelieve the possibility of another existence is a choice however, if we want to try to understand our spiritual need we can search for the truth while we are still alive but for an obvious reason can not do it scientifically.
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
It is true from a clinical view we can make a determination of what death is like. The dead body is indeed dead. The original question however did look at the prospect of death as to what comes next. To deny the possible existence of a another life with science however is to use science as an excuse for debate when it is something that can not be proved with physical evidence nor disproved.

Going from one state to another is something that not everyone will have a chance to talk about and only talked about, not proved, as was pointed out by saratdear. To disbelieve the possibility of another existence is a choice however, if we want to try to understand our spiritual need we can search for the truth while we are still alive but for an obvious reason can not do it scientifically.

To me, science even helps me in any "spiritual" or "soul" thoughts. The scientific law, conservation of energy comes to mind often, when considering the complex electrical energy that is essentially my thoughts, which I assume will just change into another form of energy when I die.
I concern myself less with what that will change into though, and more with making my life as wholesome and beautiful as I can - for as long as I continue to be aware of the consciousness I currently see as the life I'm living now Smile
Bluedoll
@watersoul We should concern ourselves with living, I do agree. When we leave all we are physically goes to dust.

I agree science is a big part of the universe but not everything. For example if we want to look at a thought as having the origin as a minute electrical impulse fine but then let us also consider transforming that energy into physical print.

If the paper burns we can go on discussing everything about molecular structure and energy conversions etc, but what about what was on that paper?
Question
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I concern myself less with what that will change into though, and more with making my life as wholesome and beautiful as I can - for as long as I continue to be aware of the consciousness I currently see as the life I'm living now Smile
I like where you are going with this. Isn't it along the lines of living in the present moment?
snowynight
I hate to die. Though there are misfortunes, but when i thought of not being able to see the sun tomorrow, i was scared.

Very Happy

Heaven is a place i cannot return home from....
Bikerman
Bluedoll wrote:
@watersoul We should concern ourselves with living, I do agree. When we leave all we are physically goes to dust.

I agree science is a big part of the universe but not everything. For example if we want to look at a thought as having the origin as a minute electrical impulse fine but then let us also consider transforming that energy into physical print.
Anything physical is within the purview of science.
Quote:

If the paper burns we can go on discussing everything about molecular structure and energy conversions etc, but what about what was on that paper?
Question
The only chance you have to find out is by using science...
If the original material is irreparably lost then the only sense it can be said to still exist is in the people who read it. The same with people. The only sense in which something survives death is the interactions with others during life which leave a lasting imprint of that life...
Thoughts, emotions, personality - these are all things which reside in the physical brain. Without a brain there is nothing to 'survive'.
deanhills
People who very strongly emphasize science, in my opinion can have tunnel vision. Since it is only going for the "physical", there may be things that exist that are not visible that can get completely missed. Worst part of it is that when someone's experiment had a successful ending so that he can say "with scientific authority" that this is "fact" because it has been "proven", that tends to make that person think he/she is knowledgeable and face away from other probabilities or possibilities. I prefer people who have a more relaxed and open mind starting with the premise that anything is possible in this world provided we believe in it. And not be hamstrung by preconceived notions of finite knowledge. People like that would respect science and its important place in technological progress, but it is not the alpha and omega of everything. The world is full of infinite possibilities that can be much larger than our thinking. There is magic in life that cannot be measured by experiments in a lab.
Bikerman
And people who do not understand basic science are disabled. The idea that science takes some magic out of existence is total garbage.
Feynman said it best.

Science doesn't limit your thinking. Your thinking limits itself. If you don't know the scientific method and at least some mathematics then you are condemned to wonder how things work and why for the rest of your life, whilst missing the wonderful beauty in basic systems and interactions.
A bit like a kid looking longingly at the speeding fire-engine, but never destined to drive it.
Ghost900
Without having actually experienced it I can't really say. I think it depends a lot upon how you die, dying while sleeping is going to be much different then dying from a serious allergy or by a bullet.

As for the moments following death I think you fade to a temporary black, weather you see your body as your spirit leaves it I have no idea.
TurtleShell
I don't believe in hell (or heaven really). My beliefs are that either one of two things happen:

1) death is like nothing at all, and everything after life is very, very peaceful--because it's nothing at all. not darkness, not aloneness, there's no ecstasy or sadness. it's just...nothing at all.

2) after death comes another life, another consciousness, but no knowledge of the previous existence (for most people). Afterall, our molecules are reused and recycled, yes? When I die and my body is cremated, everything my body was made of will return to the earth and everything I knew will be returned to the earth as well, in some capacity. And then, somewhere, somehow, I'll be another thing, or another person. I dont' mean this in a religious way, I just believe that there's a possibility that someday I will be something else, and I will no longer be me at all. In fact, the parts that were me will all be dispersed into other things, and mingled with other things that were also once alive.

I also believe in ghosts, and they dont' really fit into category one or two--but I believe it's possible for a person's energy to persist existing in a specific place after that person has died.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
I also believe in ghosts, and they dont' really fit into category one or two--but I believe it's possible for a person's energy to persist existing in a specific place after that person has died.
I like the way you put it. I'm not so sure however that I believe in ghosts though. I also think that there would have to be a link between that energy that you refer to and the observer of the energy before the observer would be able to see it. I have never seen a ghost in my life, and doubt I will ever see one. Also not sure I would want to see one. But I do believe that the energy of people who have died could linger after their death.
Bluedoll
One very quiet peaceful day, Frank the fermion met Betty Bosom.

“You must be disabled if you don’t agree with me,” snorted Frank!

“Oh try blowing your negative energy out your nose into the garbage,” repelled Betty

“Science is a wonderful thing but there is something you are blind to,” added Betty and her sister.

“Tell me what it is,” said Frank?

“We will leap,” laughed Betty

Razz To know death is to rotate life 360 degrees.

Maybe our state of mind at peace will greet us in a calm moment of passing as light in a dark tunnel. We may not be able to continue life in our present state but who can really say there is not another waiting for our arrival.
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Maybe our state of mind at peace will greet us in a calm moment of passing as light in a dark tunnel. We may not be able to continue life in our present state but who can really say there is not another waiting for our arrival.
Well said. Probably will bring peace to a person if we channel our minds into that wavelength. Imagination will probably take us to magical places. Fearfulness straight to hell!
Bikerman
Bluedoll wrote:
One very quiet peaceful day, Frank the fermion met Betty Bosom.
I'd prefer Betty Boson Smile
Quote:
“You must be disabled if you don’t agree with me,” snorted Frank!
Parody is fine, but don't loose sight of what I actually said whilst playing with it.
Not knowing basic maths and the scientific method is a disability. Like any disability it may not interfere with what you wish to do in life, but it means that you cannot do certain things. Without maths then you will not be able to understand modern physics and therefore will not be able to understand our best models of how the universe really works. That may not bother people - obviously many people couldn't care less. That's fine. It has not one thing to do with whether anyone agrees with me or not. My science is not superb - I struggle in some areas and have to graft at it. I know very little in other areas - particularly organic chemistry. I'm not even a scientist - just a lecturer/teacher.
Quote:
“Oh try blowing your negative energy out your nose into the garbage,” repelled Betty
That's a bit clumsy and heavy handed - particularly following the snort....Smile
'You must be disagreeable if not able to be with me' would have been a better retort methinks....or something on that line....
Quote:
“Science is a wonderful thing but there is something you are blind to,” added Betty and her sister.
Sister? Is this Honour Hadron? Mary Meson? Lucy Lepton? Smile
Quote:
“Tell me what it is,” said Frank?

“We will leap,” laughed Betty

Razz To know death is to rotate life 360 degrees.
Oh how disappointing. That is sooo trite - the sort of stuff you find in cheap fortune cookies..I expected better Sad
Quote:
That's a bit better. It is possible, but it raises an interesting question.
If the second existence is in some way a continuance of the first, then surely there must be some continuing element which passes from 1 to 2, otherwise they are just separate existences and why would one consider them related?
If there IS something which passes from 1 to 2 (a 'soul', 'wathan', 'spirit', 'life-force' - call it what you will) then we should be able to measure it, since it must be comprised of energy of some sort...and try as we may, the line on the scope sleeps flat, the beeper rests silent and the lights hide their flashes...

My take? Memory and interaction - that is what passes. The time spent with others. The thoughts, influences, shared experiences and memories - this is the 'soul'.
The ripples of your life spread across the pond, and they interact with the ripples of other lives in turn, and we get a wonderfully organic and complex pattern or waves which goes on long after the stone sinks to the bottom.
deanhills
Oh my Bikerman. You must have written this posting late at night. Smileys ..... Shocked And ripples and waves ..... Shocked Did you mean it as a parody, or were the ripples serious stuff?

Bikerman wrote:
My take? Memory and interaction - that is what passes. The time spent with others. The thoughts, influences, shared experiences and memories - this is the 'soul'.
So if not a parody I have a question. I thought "soul" had no reality base for you? And so if thoughts, influences, shared experiences and memories are the "soul" where do they come together as a soul?
busman
deanhills wrote:
Oh my Bikerman. You must have written this posting late at night. Smileys ..... Shocked And ripples and waves ..... Shocked Did you mean it as a parody, or were the ripples serious stuff?

Bikerman wrote:
So if not a parody I have a question. I thought "soul" had no reality base for you? And so if thoughts, influences, shared experiences and memories are the "soul" where do they come together as a soul?

He is saying that the human element he has left upon this world IS his soul. It can't be weighed or seen, but it can be felt and only truely in the human sense (correct me if I'm completely off base please bikerman) hence the use of the word "soul". The effect of his ripples causing effect in other's ripples long after his death, kind of like a human reverb after death.
nickfyoung
zeep wrote:

I've been unconcious before, I went unconcious at around 5:00PM one night, I came to at around 6:00AM the next morning, I had remembered NOTHING from the night before or what happened, and it seemed like a few seconds had passed. I imagine it would be something like that, except you would never wake up again.
We're connected to everything through the matrix. Everything has energy. I believe that when we die we transform into pure energy (leaving our bodies behind) and enter the matrix, just to be reborn as another being on this planet or on another planet.
I read somewhere that the chance of being born on this planet is like dropping something from space down to earth and hitting a very small area.

I thought every body knew this but apparently not. Life here is a very temporary thing and the permanence of it starts after you die. It is commonly believed that we are a spirit or a soul living in a body. When our body dies we continue because our soul or spirit or the real us carries on forever. The big question is where we will be after we die. Of course there are many views on this but the one I like is the one where we get go to heaven and live forever in happiness. That would be good wouldn't it but there are, apparently, some conditions to get in otherwise you could end up in that other place and live fore ever in unhappiness and that wouldn't be so good. I found the best place to find these conditions was the bible so I checked to make sure I qualified. Wouldn't want to miss out.
nickfyoung
nickfyoung wrote:
zeep wrote:

I thought every body knew this but apparently not. Life here is a very temporary thing and the permanence of it starts after you die. It is commonly believed that we are a spirit or a soul living in a body. When our body dies we continue because our soul or spirit or the real us carries on forever. The big question is where we will be after we die. Of course there are many views on this but the one I like is the one where we get go to heaven and live forever in happiness. That would be good wouldn't it but there are, apparently, some conditions to get in otherwise you could end up in that other place and live fore ever in unhappiness and that wouldn't be so good. I found the best place to find these conditions was the bible so I checked to make sure I qualified. Wouldn't want to miss out.
spinout
Hm, if there is an afterlife I would question:
What the hell was that? What ?

If not - ha stupid enough, be good to die....
nickfyoung
spinout wrote:
Hm, if there is an afterlife I would question:
What the hell was that? What ?

If not - ha stupid enough, be good to die....

Too late then...
Cosmoslayer
Let's wait and see! Razz
deanhills
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Let's wait and see! Razz
I guess we all will eventually. Very Happy
loremar
More likely, nobody's going to know. We won't have the ability to know.