FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

python (django) or php

ide_sumarjuki
Hello guys,

i'm interested in making website, but i can't decided which one to learn.
i prefer learning python cause it said had a cleaner syntax.
is it worthed to learn python over php?

thanks
cybersa
http://phplens.com/phpeverywhere/?q=node/view/185

You can get some information from there.

I prefer PHP to Python. Smile
jcreus
ide_sumarjuki wrote:
Hello guys,

thanks

Googling is always a good way of learning what to do: "django vs php" or "django or php" will return many results.
clubdeinovaristi
PHP has a worse syntax than Python, but it's easier for you to get a hosting provider.
Python has an awesome syntax, a fantastic standard library, but you can't find easily a free hosting.
If you're looking for a Python hosting in cloud PaaS-like, I would suggest you Openshift from RedHat.
Here at Frihost the software is a bit outdated.
jcreus
ide_sumarjuki wrote:
Hello guys,

thanks

I have always liked Python, but, on the server side, I've only used PHP. I think PHP is really well suited to the web; it has many builtin functions specific to it which allow to, without libraries, accomplish many things. Plus, PHP+web is a longtime combination and thus, is easier to find help about it. On the other hand, I think PHP is a really dirty language (so many underscores) and I miss the object-oriented bultins (unlike Python).

Regarding Python, which on the web is relatively new, it gives you the elegant part of Python: object-orientedness, syntactic sugar, etc. Regarding Django, I've looked a little bit into it, and I find it's pretty neat, with the MVC model (or Model-Template-Controller, in the case of Django), and also has handy .contrib modules with common things. But... it has a custom server (afaik), and is probably more difficult to deploy in servers than PHP (I don't thik you can deploy it on Frihost, for example). The documentation is excellent, but there are not so many questions on the web).
Rajat_Pawar
You know..I am learning PHP..newbie total Very Happy But I saw and googled Python and PHP..Compared..And I came to the decision that PHP is much more flexible. Friends recommended PHP too, so I guess, run for PHP.!
Thanks!
clubdeinovaristi
Rajat_Pawar wrote:
And I came to the decision that PHP is much more flexible.

Hmmm... What do you mean?
chicanh
for you : php is fun and easy but python is marriage material.
and with me i vote for php.
janith
Well, I started with PHP too. In May of last year, to be precise. I wrote loads of software using that language, and 11 months later, while learning POSIX threading (C programming) for my uni course, I decided to take up Python.

You can't just write websites with Python as you can do with PHP. You need a framework. While Django is popular, I would suggest Bottle: http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/ or Flask: http://flask.pocoo.org/ instead, because they're simple and beautiful. Flask has beautiful and easy-to-use documentation, while Bottle is a single Python file, making it ridiculously easy to deploy to servers.

And talking about servers: It's really easy to find free webhosts for PHP, but kinda difficult to do the same for Python. In fact, I'm looking for one right now. Sad So for starters, I think PHP is the best, though I would wholeheartedly suggest you learn Python too, at least when you're comfortable with PHP. Smile
clubdeinovaristi
janith wrote:
You can't just write websites with Python as you can do with PHP. You need a framework. While Django is popular, I would suggest Bottle: http://bottlepy.org/docs/dev/ or Flask: http://flask.pocoo.org/ instead, because they're simple and beautiful. Flask has beautiful and easy-to-use documentation, while Bottle is a single Python file, making it ridiculously easy to deploy to servers.

Bottle is as fantastic as ridiculously simple. The only similar piece of software I know is only CherryPy, but it's not only ONE file!
But actually, Django has tons and tons of batteries included. Its ORM is fantastic, there are many contributed features (admin, comment system) really really useful. Django suits better for big and complicated web apps, while CherryPy is better for an API/backend. This is what I think, but CherryPy could be extended simply. To me Django is better because config is splitted in more files (url, main configuration, views, models) without the needing to put everything together.
ademta
If you know some python than Python and Django can produce good result in less time as compared to PHP when one is looking for web framework. With Django you can create website quickly.
test-webdev3
Django is a very useful framework, and there are tons of tutorials to get you going, which helps if you're a newbie. I can't speak for other ways of web development , my experience has been quite limited to using django!
kevincylee1127
PHP is not bad, but i wanna learn python right now