FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Earbuds and earwax

Tony The Tiger
Is there any research on the increase in earwax buildup corresponding to the proliferation of earbuds (that go inside the canal) as opposed to the old school earphones (that sit on top of the ear). I have been having episodes with earwax in the ears, but it could just be a function of age. Earwax buildup has been an issue since my mid 30s (I had my first episode around the age of 34 and am now 46). I have had 3 episodes since (all in the last 8 years, most recently this month). I often notice wax on my earbuds suggesting that they are scraping my ear canal and sending the wax back inside the ear.
IceCreamTruck
if the buds are blocking discharge or, as you feel, pushing wax back into your ear, then I suggest an ear cleaning. Most people think it's age, but I think it's time too. It usually takes a long time for a wax build up to occur, which is probably why you mostly see this in adults. If you clean your ears regularly, then you should't have these problems.

I would stop using ear buds if you feel they are preventing the natural draining of your ears. Build up can lead to infection as wax holds debris in the ear when it's actually part of the system to remove debris from the ear.

If you always use ear buds then switch to experiment.