FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best flavor of Linux?

ammonkc
I'm thinking of formatting the hardrive on my dell inspiron and using it to play around with linux. I've been wanting to learn Linux for a while now and ever since I switched to mac I don't really use my dell as much.

does anyone have any opinions on which Linux distro is the best. I hear a lot of good things about Suse Linux and Red Hat Linux. what are the pros and cons of the different distros?
SgtGarcia
Mandriva linux is known for its ease of use. Clear wizard like the ones in windows guide you through every step. Mandriva was the first distro i used and i still like it. Check it out on mandrivalinux.com
Another option is Ubuntu, a distribution that started not to long ago. You van order free cds with the OS so you won't have to download it.
You can always check distrowatch.com for details on al the distros
Good luck
sunjay
Hey,

At the moment, I'm trying out Ubuntu. It's quite good and you can order CDs for free of charge from their site. It comes with a live CD so you can try out the distro before spending time installing it.

Thou, beware, Have more than 128 mb of ram before trying the Live CD. I tried it on my sisters Celeron with only 128 mb of ram and everything takes super long to load.

Cheers and have fun.
SunJay

p.s I wonder how good really is SUSE, and what do they mean by 'Evaluation Version'. Does that mean they've got a 30 day limit on it or some kind of restrictions on the OS?
guaxa
the bests are:

*Slackware <-- i use this. Wink
*Fedora Core
*Red Hat <-- for servers
*Ubuntu <-- for benginners
*SuSe <-- very beautifull Smile
ammonkc
Thats interesting about Sese linux having a 30 day limit on it. I was under the impression that all linux was free because its opensource and the only charge money for support of the distro. I wonder if that means that it has drm in it like windows.
aardvark
I'm also a Mandriva fan. I've used lots of distros and Mandriva scores highest for working with all my devices straight off.

The Mandriva Website rather gives the impression that you need to join their club, which costs, in order to get updates but this is not the case. Once installed just give it the address of a Mandriva distro mirror site and your applications can be updated from there when wanted.

Another one you might want to try out is Knoppix. You can download a bootable DVD image file (if you have the patience) and they have one version that is packed full of games.

http://www.mandriva.com/

http://www.knoppix.org/
blackant
I am using ubuntu, which I think is very suitable for beginners like me.
especially they have a very good support forum, where everyone helps each other.
Helios
i'll try and place the distroes inside levels:

level 0 - the total beginner:

Live CDs!
I recommend Knoppix =D

level 1 - beginner:
Mandriva(or Mandrake).
Level 1 cuz it has an easy partition manager.

level 2 - have some experience:
Red Hat, Fedora Core, SUSE(yep, the U is in cap.. they've changed!), Ubnutu.. maybe even slackware.

level 3 - advanced.
slack, Debian, Gentoo.. those dudes.

so start with lives if you afraid of installing..
then, after you got to know KDE or GNOME
you can switch to Mandriva or Fedora.. very nice distroes =)
Kd527
This is just a matter of opinion. I've only used Knoppix, but I'm under the impression that Xandros (basically pure Debian) is the best. But it's really just your opinion.
progman89
ammonkc wrote:
I'm thinking of formatting the hardrive on my dell inspiron and using it to play around with linux. I've been wanting to learn Linux for a while now and ever since I switched to mac I don't really use my dell as much.

You should try Knoppix: http://www.knoppix.org/ . You don't have to install it - you can run it from the CD - so you could see whether or not you like it before you install it. Also, the install is relatively small so you could install it on a partition while using another OS on another partition. Knoppix is relatively compatible with Windows files and comes with a lot of programs that make it ready for general use.
jupenz
I suggest you to focus first on one distro...and try to familliarize on one distro...for example you're going to install redhat on your machine...try to learn how to deal with the environment...i think it wont take months for you to familliarize for just one distro...hmmm i suggest you to use slackware first...but you have the choises...feel free to choose your distro! Smile
chiragcoolboy
Mandrake 10.1 rocks. It is great. Nice GUI.

Otherwise u can use Linspire. It is same as windows.Easy, friendlt-user interface.

Cheers!!! Razz
carlokes
I use Fedora Core and since i only use linux to work im pretty happy with this release
Helios
Yea.. Fedora pretty much covers all you software and interface needs. Rolling Eyes

I used fedora for like.. 8 months. I really enjoyed this distro. =)
foalios
Well, there's heaps are there not?

If you want an easy to use livecd, try PCLinuxOS - its based on Mandriva.
If you feel a bit confident about installing, get Mandriva 2005 or Ubuntu - Ubuntu if you're not at home in complex control panel's default in Mandriva. Mandriva can always be switched to Ubuntu-style Gnome.
However, if you like mucking around a bit to get things right, but having lots of packages, and a BEAUTIFUL desktop, get SUSE (In short, if you're a power user with a lot of time and a reasonably good computer, like, at least 512mb of ram).
Good luck.
artur.h
what do you think about the suse distribution? Razz
budazz
mandriva i think is the easiest one... not sure but i already used this...
friscofrankie
Slackware is well-known for it's stability. This is a very good palce to learn. in order to get up and runing you will have to learn or fail. If you really want to learn Linux this sable system will not plague you with buggy bleedng edge release software, nor will it pamper you with gui installs and automatic configrations. It does detect a good deal of your hardware and gives you a good functional platform from where you can launch your Linux career.

Fedora for me was very frustrating in that it shielded me from the entire install process and gave some windoze type gui login by default. i did allow the install to run in it's most automatic mode but I did the same thing with slack ware and still had to make many choices along the way and when all was said and done I was presented with a nice command-line interface to begin my own X configuration and setting up mysql, apache and afew other things i wanted "just so"
Before going to work I reinstalled both of the above mentioned distros twice. I wanted to know the "dummy mode' and expert modes of both.
If I had another machine I might like to try SUse as well. maybe grab a copy from novell see what thery're up to.
But you will never get my slacware away from me. Very good OS and a true unix like system tthat does Not try to be windows like. Try it you will soon be greppng, chmodding and the like with the best of 'em
limcopy
i using mandriva ver2005 Lite Edition ; mandriva 2006 lite edition is out..... but i still not try it yet
xtremepc
Try some that are a bootable cd, so u dont have to install it
xtremepc
I like Knnopix and SimpleyMemphis
friscofrankie
ammonkc wrote:

Lot of folks are recommending a "live" CD. me thinks they aren't reading your post. They are all free why don't you download a few distros and install, format, install etc. If you're comforatble formatting you entire HD and starting fresh I think I'll stand by earlier recommendation and add that you might want to stick to some of the mainstream distros you say you want to learn, not tweak and develop.
Rolling your own as you go. It can be fun and definitely educational.
ocalhoun
What are you thinking of dual-booting it with?
If it's winXP, then you'll need to tell grub (or whatever bootloader you use) not to install in the MBR (where XP lives). Failure to do so will make it impossible to dual-boot.

By the way, SuSE is the easiest to install.
Reyntjensw
if you want to download and learn about linux you can go to www.linuxiso.org
these are all the linux systems untill now

grtz
Helios
Reyntjensw wrote:
if you want to download and learn about linux you can go to www.linuxiso.org
these are all the linux systems untill now

grtz

Not recommended as a source for d/ling.

Some of the distroes there aren't updated. (for example debian)

But you can choose a distro from there, then go to GooGL3 and search for the main website.
technology.sponge
mandriva (mandrake) is quite good - its designed for useability
u can try fedora core 4 (made by red hat nd open source community) if u want sumthing powerful..its used as a testing ground for red hat enterprise products so all the updates r the latest versions
technology.sponge
mandriva (mandrake) is quite good - its designed for useability
u can try fedora core 4 (made by red hat nd open source community) if u want sumthing powerful..its used as a testing ground for red hat enterprise products so all the updates r the latest versions
bananaphone
Ubuntu linux is the best
nilsmo
Fedora is pretty easy to install...