FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nordic Walking - great way to get in fit

Goddess
I used to go to Nordic Walking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_walking 3-4 times a week some years ago. Then I had a huge accident and since that I was afraid how my body would react if I started my healthy hobby again.

I started very slowly and short distances at first just to listen to my body. Today I finally dared to go for a little longer walk and now I'm very proud of my self. It seems that my body just loves this sport all tought it's been several years since the last time Very Happy

Have you tried Nordic Walking? How do you find it?
c'tair
I heard about it but it strikes me as a bit uhm... weird. I mean, it's walking? Now if it was hill-walking or mountain-hiking then hell yeah, that adds a whole new level of difficulty, but... just walking?
I mean I can walk about 8 miles without getting tired and I don't do any walking exercizes, I just recently started doing cardio this week. It seems like walking is so damn easy lol.

Could you expand a bit on this exercise? How many miles/km do you walk? How often can you do it?
Peterssidan
I don't, but I know many that do. Here it is quite popular among middle age and older persons. It is more exercise than normal walking because the arms are used more.
Goddess
It's far more than walking. It's more like skiing without skis Very Happy And if you know the right technique you'll be swetting in no time. The best thing is that you use your hands with the walking sticks and get whole body exercise in one time.
jajarvin
I often make long walking sessions and I have Nordic walking poles with me.

One thing should be pointed out: Nordic walking poles are significantly shorter than those recommended for cross-country skiing. So if you in future begin exercise Nordic walking be sure than you have not use to long poles.