FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website is down, please help.

luciferfawkes
I have two websites, both through dot.tk domains and using frihost hosting.

wcmg.tk is down and by the looks of it judging from Google Analytics, it's been down since March 8th due to no visitors since.

My other site, kentkopp.tk is still loading up though.

I would think both are on server 4 but that wouldn't make sense as to why kentkopp.tk is still up and running.

The error coming up [in Chrome] is: "Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://wcmg.tk/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly."
Bondings
The wcmg.tk domain seems to be pointing fine to the correct new server, I think it is the software that is causing the problems. When I disable the .htaccess file, I can access a test php file fine. However with it enabled, I usually get errors. The WordPress files give blank pages, though.

Would it be possible to install WordPress again on the wcmg.tk domain? Maybe even completely remove the domain from DirectAdmin and then add it back to get a clean/correct file structure (after taking a backup).
luciferfawkes
So this started up because a new server took over? Doesn't entirely make too much sense to me.

If I have to do that, what all would I have to back up so I don't have to redo everything? I've spent countless hours getting the site to where it is now and I'd hate to lose anything.

And after backing up, simply remove the domain from DirectAdmin, make a new one, copy the backed files to the new domain and it should be good to go?

P.S. Thank you for responding back so quickly.
Bondings
@luciferfawkes, a backup is just in case something goes wrong. You should always make regular backups of your whole website (especially database) if you care about the data.

Secondly, by reinstalling everything, I meant just the files and start with a clean WordPress installation and add your mods/plugins one by one if they are working. Most likely you can leave your database (with all the data) alone and hence not lose anything.

Apart from the server move, also the software versions were upgraded (php, mysql and apache), which are also having an impact on the websites.

About why exactly this happens, I was not able to find the error at first, but I did some trying and I found what is causing the problem. In the class-sciable_Admin_Options.php file, there was one php opening tag on line 186 causing an error and responsible for most of the problems. I added "php" to "<?" (changed to "<?php") and it worked again. I also re-enable the short_open_tag as it has been disabled by default in php 5.3.

Secondly, there are still some problems with your website. Please check your error_log in DirectAdmin for the errors. I still get the following error and similar ones:
Code:
Evaluation of expression from AWH\x8dF\bAVI\x89\xf6AUATI\x89\xfcUSH\x83\xechH\x8bN\bL\x8bo\x18H\x89D$01\xc0H;L$0H\x8bW\bH\xc7D$X:0 failed: Internal evaluation error: Unknown expression node, referer: http://wcmg.tk/wp-content/themes/pendulum/style.css
luciferfawkes
Okay, well, I backed up the whole site so that's out of the way.

As for what to do next, that's what I really don't know. If you could provide me steps in what to do, then I could be able to do it. I was going to attempt it myself but I figured I'd ask first before I do anything.

And about the class-sciable-Admin_Options.php file, do I need to add a "php" to the line?
Bondings
About the class-sciable-Admin_Options.php, I added the php to the line to correct the mistake. It's a pretty common problem/bug it seems. Probably everyone that upgrades to 5.3 gets it that uses that plugin. I also enabled the short tags so really don't bother about that anymore, it's fixed in 2 different ways.

First I would check if you are not able to fix the current problem. Your website loads sometimes now but often there is the "connection to the server was reset" error. I think that one is due to some .htaccess redirect or similar and might have to do with the error I pasted below. Although I'm not sure how you are able to access that website, do you maybe get a different error now?

In case this doesn't work, I would suggest that you:

• Remove the domain from DirectAdmin, that should remove the files but not the database.
  • Add the domain to DirectAdmin, that should create all the default files again.
  • Download the newest WordPress and put it in the public_html directory.
  • For the config file, use the same settings (database/username) as currently. Maybe simply copy the config file.
  • I'm not sure about WordPress, but I don't think you need to go through the whole install process again if you use an existing database.
  • Install the modifications/plugins again, one by one and when something goes wrong, at least you know which ones caused the problem.

Please note that you will lose the emails and cron settings from that account. I'm not sure if that is important to you?

I'll take another quick look at your site and check if I can fix it, but I doubt it.
Bondings
I removed the W3TC Browser Cache and WT3C Page Core from the .htaccess file in your public_html directory and your website seems to work fine again. (the previous .htaccess file has been renamed dothtaccess) It seems like those were causing a problem.
luciferfawkes
Bondings wrote:
I removed the W3TC Browser Cache and WT3C Page Core from the .htaccess file in your public_html directory and your website seems to work fine again. (the previous .htaccess file has been renamed dothtaccess) It seems like those were causing a problem.

You sir, are a saint!

Thank you so much Bondings. Even though I don't really have the slightest idea of what you did or how you even managed to pinpoint the problem, I greatly appreciate it.

You like the site by the way? Very Happy
Bondings
The website design looks very good, I didn't really get what it is about (probably something about music) but I was more interested in whether it worked or not.

So I assume you don't need the W3TC plugins?
luciferfawkes
Yeah, just a site I did for a few buddies of mine that rap.

I guess not, everything seems to be working in order. What exactly does W3TC do?
Bondings
luciferfawkes wrote:
Yeah, just a site I did for a few buddies of mine that rap.

I guess not, everything seems to be working in order. What exactly does W3TC do?

It seems to be a sort of cache for your pages and part of your pages, to speed up the website and consume less server load. Such a thing can be very useful if you get a lot of traffic, for a small website probably not really needed though.
luciferfawkes
Ah I see, certainly not needed for that site. Thanks again for everything. Very Happy