FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Backtrack 5

ahmedakter
The new bt5(Backtrack 5) is come with new outlook more function. It is mainly made for learning purpose. User will get more facilities to break securities or crack anything. Alongside this, user can do normal work with it as usual like viewing videos, listening music, editing word document and many more. I prefer new linux user to use this operating system alongside windows operating system and switch to it slowly. Thanks
Marcuzzo
ahmedakter wrote:
It is mainly made for learning purpose.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/ wrote:
Welcome to Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking.

BT is pretty good for penetration testing.
most people use it to hack Wireless accesspoint, which is sad if you ask me.
I once used it to to try and hack into my homeserver, and it worked Crying or Very sad
Asap170
I really need to get BT 5 fired up on one of my computers as a VM or something... I would have a blast cracking stuff.
weableandbob
Penetration testing, huh? Maybe I should test how secure my family's server really is >Smile It looks cool though. Might actually end up trying it out even though I'm attached to Windows.
Marcuzzo
weableandbob wrote:
Penetration testing, huh? Maybe I should test how secure my family's server really is >Smile It looks cool though. Might actually end up trying it out even though I'm attached to Windows.

it took me about 3 hours to get in Crying or Very sad
I was shocked, because I always thought that linux servers are pretty secure.
anyway, I got myself a book on linux server security and now it is a little more secure.

there is also a live USB distro: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/tutorials/usb-live-install/
menino
I dont think the new Backtrack 5 distro has the new linux 3.3 kernel which has just been released, but still Backtrack has a lot of hacking tools that you can use to exploit wireless networks and servers, among a few.
There are other penetration softwares as well out there to use, but most of them use linux as the base operating system.
Fire Boar
menino wrote:
I dont think the new Backtrack 5 distro has the new linux 3.3 kernel which has just been released, but still Backtrack has a lot of hacking tools that you can use to exploit wireless networks and servers, among a few.
There are other penetration softwares as well out there to use, but most of them use linux as the base operating system.

Well the kernel doesn't really matter much, the important thing is the tools available. And Backtrack has always been second to none when it comes to tools designed to find holes in security. Way back when I was in college the Powers That Be had set up a supposedly secure WiFi network to avoid the need to install ethernet ports all over the place for the college computers. 5 minutes on Backtrack later, and everyone knew the WEP key. Moral of the story: DO NOT USE WEP! Or WPA1 for that matter. WPA2 is the only standard which can be considered secure right now. WPA1 is iffy, and WEP is pathetic.

Anyway, Backtrack can do far more than just cracking a wireless network. Invaluable for both security-minded people wanting to put their rig through its paces and the less honest types trying to do unsavory things to someone else's kit.
lobokun
i only use this for penetration testing
Fire Boar
suredrajohn wrote:
How do I uninstall backtrack 5 on my computer?

You don't install it in the first place. If you went full derp and installed it anyway, you need to replace it by installing another operating system.
faruq
-_- idk why people so interested in backtrack and also free wifi access
Da Rossa
And how exactly Backtrack is the best distro for learning Linux? i'm still a noob at *nix.
CHAOS-THEORY
lol @BT5 for learning purpose; man even the fakers anonymous uses it, now a day childrens uses it; what do they know ? Penetration testing? yeah right
people these days doesn't realise the fact they will never be what they are faking to be.
codersfriend
Backtrack is no longer updated. They have moved to kali Linux http://www.kali.org/
zacky
codersfriend wrote:
Backtrack is no longer updated. They have moved to kali Linux http://www.kali.org/

Thank you for informing us. Not totally aware of it.
Shuayb
I'm new, I'd like learn to manipulate kali linux, if someone know it , teaches me
hello150744
I think the tools for hacking Wireless accesspoint isnot very much in Bt5 and kali.