FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Touchscreen optimized linux?

ocalhoun
Does anybody know of a linux distro optimized for touchscreens?

I'll be getting a new windows-based tablet soon, and I'd like to try dual booting it with linux (via a 32GB SD card to house the linux OS... which introduces another restriction: 32GB maximum hard drive space.)

The main input for it is a capacitive multi-touch touchscreen though, so it would be nice if I could find a linux distro that is well-optimized for that.
(It does have a USB port though, so I'll be able to use a standard keyboard to install and get the hardware configured.)

Other nice things would be good hardware management utilities for wireless networks and bluetooth devices, since I'll be using a bluetooth keyboard, and mainly connecting to wireless networks.
...And of course, on a mobile device, good power-management utilities would be a great plus.

I may instead opt to run linux within a virtual machine inside windows, but if it's possible to get linux to run well on it natively, I would prefer to do that, because the tablet's processing power isn't overwhelmingly powerful... Virtual machines would slow it down badly, I suspect.

Oh, and on a somewhat related note, does anybody know if it's possible to run the android OS within a virtual machine? It would be cool to also be able to use apps designed for android tablets.
clubdeinovaristi
Ubuntu has good touchscreen support, but Linux 3.0 has a power management bug. You should wait for the next version (april 2012) or download a version with Linux 2.6 (I mean 10.04~11.04).
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, and on a somewhat related note, does anybody know if it's possible to run the android OS within a virtual machine? It would be cool to also be able to use apps designed for android tablets.

There is Android SDK.