FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which phenomenon do you think is real?

chasbeen
Here we go again ....
Do you believe in Ghosts, the loch ness monster etc etc
My number one belief out of those subjects that are a bit hard to believe is.
CROP CIRCLES:-They are being created by forces we don't understand.
Further more they are being created by an intelligence superior to our own.

What's yours, have you got one and why?
I will be telling mine as we proceed.
deanhills
I have not seen a ghost yet. But then it's probably because I'm chanelled in too much with my head. Children seem to be able to see things that we can't. So maybe there are "ghosts" on a certain level except we can only see them if our minds are turned off.
rjraaz
This is just like a believing on Not Believing.
Ankhanu
I don't believe in ghosts, et al., though I went through a new-agey sort of period where I found the idea romantic. I suppose I held some belief in my pre-10 years, as I do recall being scared of vampires and the like at night, but I've matured out of being able to "see things that we can't".
That said, yes, there are mysteries in life, and much I can't account for, but I'd rather remain agnostic and say that I don't know than jump to conclusions, assigning supernatural forces to them.
chasbeen wrote:
CROP CIRCLES:-They are being created by forces we don't understand.
Further more they are being created by an intelligence superior to our own.

A couple guys with boards with a loop of rope attached isn't hard to understand, nor are they particularly intelligent. Razz
Marcuzzo
I have seen serval documentaries on crop-circles and most of them, if not all are man made.
believing in them is like believing they actualy had an alien ship on Area51 Very Happy
standready
Marcuzzo wrote:
believing in them is like believing they actualy had an alien ship on Area51 Very Happy

Are you telling they don't? Then how did that Alien I saw on TV last week get here? Oh wait, that was Obama!
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
Do you believe in Ghosts, the loch ness monster etc etc

Sorry to be boring but I don't believe in anything that fails to show any positive results after repeated examination or testing, and/or is based solely on anecdotal evidence.
I could of course be wrong, but until I actually see anything myself, or read some rigorous published research to convince me otherwise, I shall consider Loch Ness monsters, Devon Pixies, Forest Imps, Mermaids, Dragons and other such things as the stuff of fiction or wild imagination and folklore Razz
Peterssidan
I do believe in ghosts. Haven't you seen the Ghost of Frihost? Confused
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I do believe in ghosts. Haven't you seen the Ghost of Frihost? Confused
Good point. There are more than one too I think. Twisted Evil
chasbeen
I changed since I wrote the topic. I don't believe in Crop Circles either.
I was on my way to work this morning and I stopped at my favorite cafe for a coffee (A Venti Italian Bold) I'd been in there for 10 minutes and was surprised to see a 1000 Feet wide crop circle where the school had been before I had gone in for my coffee.
However I dismissed the whole thing as a Hoax when some old lady walked by with a shovel and fork in her hand.
Ha I call them Crap circles now.
(Hmmm I hope I'm not turned into one of those people who have not read anything about Crop circles and has become very outspoken about them)
Mr_Howl
Carved stone structures 6500 years older than Stonehenge?

Aliens? Lost era of greater human intelligence? Did they even have tools back then?!

*Cue Unsolved Mysteries music*
Bluedoll
I’ve always been confused when people ask such questions. A phenomenon or at least the way I understand it is a natural fact or event that occurs though it may be uncommon. So how does that relate to be real or unreal?

I would rather think along the lines as everything being real. For example, if a crop circle was the creation of strange wind storm or a person bent on tricking people, it is still real. Only when people start on the ghosts, alien topics does an issue develop it seems. Sometimes it comes down to what a person believes.

I believe in a spiritual domain so for me anything is possible.
ocalhoun
I'm open to the possibility of ghosts, after a fashion... But for most of the rest, I'm highly doubtful.

Mr_Howl wrote:
Carved stone structures 6500 years older than Stonehenge?

Aliens? Lost era of greater human intelligence? Did they even have tools back then?!

*Cue Unsolved Mysteries music*

It doesn't take alien involvement to get a group of stone age people to figure out that they can change the shape of softer rocks by beating them with harder rocks...

They may not have had much technology, but you've got to remember they were at least nearly as intelligent as we are now.
Asap170
I completely believe in ghosts because I have encountered them in my own house. Whenever I come in from walking the dog at night and look down the stairs I see a shadowy figure pass through a door in our basement. Also, sometimes in the morning we would find that the surround sound system in our basement is turned on and playing a radio station and volume turned way up. None of us change it. (It is normally set to tv/line).
ocalhoun
Asap170 wrote:
Also, sometimes in the morning we would find that the surround sound system in our basement is turned on and playing a radio station and volume turned way up. None of us change it. (It is normally set to tv/line).

Well... in that case, there could be a mundane explination... I have a stereo system that if the power goes out and comes back on, will reset to it's default mode, and start playing whatever CD is inserted at the time at about 50% volume (pretty loud).

If your stereo behaves like that, and the wiring to the basement is shoddy, that could explain it.

(Doesn't explain the shadowy figure of course, but one thing at a time, right?)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
(Doesn't explain the shadowy figure of course, but one thing at a time, right?)
Cool Just can't help but being bowled over by your systematic and rational system of elimination. Interesting stereo system as well. I had a Blaupunkt at one stage that I had been gifted by a great aunt. The stereo system had made noises like that too. Never thought about it along ghost lines at all. More like a case of delayed static.
kenxeiko
I'm little bit believe that some cross circle are created by aliens Think Think Think
Stupid_American
I gotta tell you guys a story.

This just happened the other day, but relates to events a couple years old.
One of my best friends, I will call him "K", killed himself on April 7, 2010, at the age of 25. I hadn't seen him in about 2 years, but have known him since he was a kid. He was many years younger than me, and he worked for me as a teenager, when I was in retail management. His mom and I were close, as she thought I was a good influence on him, and he ended up staying at my house when he was 16 for an entire summer while his mom went to her native Chile to visit family. He and I formed a really tight big-brother-little-brother bond.

Anyway, I had to tell you that to let you know how well I know(knew) this guy. He was a very unique Chilean-American. I could spot this guy from miles away.

So I was in the grocery store the other day, shopping for some things for a cookout. I was standing there looking like an idiot, just staring at this shelf, trying to decide which brand of coconut milk to buy. I looked to my left, and this guy walks by. He shoots me a very knowing nod and smile... more of a smirk, actually. I can't stress enough how EXACT of a match this guy was for K, but when he was maybe 19. It knocked the breath out of me.

After he passed my aisle, and after I got my shit together, I actually ran to the end of the aisle(only about 5 or 6 feet away) to get a better look. You can probably guess, he wasn't there. I literally ran all over the store looking for him, and found nothing.

Now, the skeptic, the logical thinking human being, within me, has never believed in ghosts. And the thing about this was that it's very easy to say that it was just someone who looked alot like him, and that I was unable to track him down. Simple solution, BAM, done deal. So maybe I'm too emotionally invested to go with the simple, probable, answer.

It's just that the look he gave me, the way he walked, dressed, his hair... I mean it was him, if I didn't know he was dead.

I know most ghost sightings are at night. Is this uncommon, to see a ghost in broad daylight? In public? While shopping for coconut milk?
loremar
I used to have a habit of inventing ghost stories/experiences before like as if I remember experiencing them sometimes to the extent of believing them myself. Now when I hear ghost stories from people especially vividly seeing ghosts in front of them in full previous body, I'm really really skeptical about it.
If they really do exist, we should have already gathered evidence about them. Scientists can even discover the rarest finds, how much more a ghost that is so commonly seen/experienced by many people. People make excuses like ghosts can't be seen through lens or that they only show up when people are alone.
deanhills
Haha .... I really have to get used to your user name now - huge leap from solon_poledourus and Ophois to Stupid_American. I sometimes wish I could start fresh too. There should be a system so that every so many posts one is allowed to change one's name.

Anyway, back to ghosts. I've had similar experiences to yours but I've never experienced it as ghosts, more like phantoms related to energy between myself and the person I thought I saw, connected with memories. It goes something like seeing someone who totally resembles the person that I knew to the extent that it feels exactly like that person. Sort of jolts a person. Then when you look closer that person has completely gone. Along the lines also of being on the same wavelength of the other person even when they are in another country. They are thinking of one another at the same time. That in my mind can produce phantom images prompted by someone who looks similar - just a fleeting look is enough to set it off.
ocalhoun
loremar wrote:
People make excuses like ghosts can't be seen through lens or that they only show up when people are alone.

A much better excuse is that the ghost doesn't physically exist where you see it, that you see the ghost there due to a spirit's interference in your own mind... a sort of psychic projection.
_AVG_
It's one of those things that can never be proved or disproved : skeptics will claim lack of objective evidence as disproof and believers will go to any lengths and exploit any explanations to explain any disparity however large.
So my view is that ghosts, etc. are just myths which pervade our society since a long time. I'm not saying there are no things we can't explain (for something is 'supernatural' as long as we cannot explain it / 'get our heads around it') but I consider it foolish to attribute any sinister/supernatural elements to unexplainable things. (Of course, we can argue about the definition of 'supernatural')
spinout
I believe them all, in basic...

Ghosts I can see... atleast..
Marcuzzo
What about zombies... I see a few everyday at work Very Happy
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Good point .... I think I'm one of them. Laughing
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Good point .... I think I may be one of them. Twisted Evil
chasbeen
Wel I'll try and think about a new subject this ones had it.
However in conclusion I cannot see how accuracy with complex geometry where some of these shapes are intricately designed in the dark with the largest approaching 1000 feet in size
That's leaving out the unexplained affects on the soil and plant..
My phenomena was Crop circles.
ocalhoun
Marcuzzo wrote:

The voodoo kind? Probably myth based upon actual fact from stories of witch doctors who were able to concoct drugs that would make people appear dead, then revive, but with severe brain damage.

The zombie apocalypse kind? Pure fiction... though some diseases (like rabies) give a little verisimilitude to the idea that something zombie-like could happen if a certain kind of disease existed. (Though the zombies in that case wouldn't be 'undead'; they'd just be perfectly alive, but infected with a disease... and it's perfectly plausible to imagine a disease that spread mainly through bites, and caused brain impairment; again, see rabies.)

The reduced-to-a-zombie-like-state-through-the-monotony-of-modern-life kind? Sure! Those are all over the place!
Stupid_American
deanhills wrote:
Haha .... I really have to get used to your user name now - huge leap from solon_poledourus and Ophois to Stupid_American. I sometimes wish I could start fresh too. There should be a system so that every so many posts one is allowed to change one's name.

Anyway, back to ghosts. I've had similar experiences to yours but I've never experienced it as ghosts, more like phantoms related to energy between myself and the person I thought I saw, connected with memories. It goes something like seeing someone who totally resembles the person that I knew to the extent that it feels exactly like that person. Sort of jolts a person. Then when you look closer that person has completely gone. Along the lines also of being on the same wavelength of the other person even when they are in another country. They are thinking of one another at the same time. That in my mind can produce phantom images prompted by someone who looks similar - just a fleeting look is enough to set it off.

Dang. I went to click "quote" and accidentally clicked "report" instead. I don't think it went through though.

Yeah, I don't mean to start over, but I am horrible about passwords and usernames. I probably have 100 email addresses floating around in cyberspace with important Liberian lottery winning notices in them.

Anyway...
I know logically that I didn't see a "ghost" in the traditional sense. It was just like you said, someone who so closely resembled K that all those memories of him came back fresh, which made this guy seem more like K than he probably should have. If that makes sense. Funny thing... the exact same thing happened a few days later, except it wasn't a dead person, it was an old roommate. I know for a fact she isn't dead because I talk to her all the time. But I saw someone who looked exactly like her, and she also gave me a little nod and grin, as if it was her. But she lives 900 miles away. Just weird.
Stupid_American
ocalhoun wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:

The voodoo kind? Probably myth based upon actual fact from stories of witch doctors who were able to concoct drugs that would make people appear dead, then revive, but with severe brain damage.

The zombie apocalypse kind? Pure fiction... though some diseases (like rabies) give a little verisimilitude to the idea that something zombie-like could happen if a certain kind of disease existed. (Though the zombies in that case wouldn't be 'undead'; they'd just be perfectly alive, but infected with a disease... and it's perfectly plausible to imagine a disease that spread mainly through bites, and caused brain impairment; again, see rabies.)

The reduced-to-a-zombie-like-state-through-the-monotony-of-modern-life kind? Sure! Those are all over the place!

Or the cannibal zombie. Some tribes of cannibals who eat human brains(no kidding) have developed zombie-like symptoms, including a shuffling walk, groaning, a dead stare, and a hunger for more human flesh. They say it's a prion thing, kind of like mad cow disease. I think it's wicked awesome, in a terrifying sort of way.
sudipbanerjee
I don't believe in ghosts. But I always feared about loneliness in darkness. Its always haunts me.
saratdear
I think it's got to be ghosts...or atleast the a soul. The idea of going on after death seems kinda romantic to me.
ocalhoun
Stupid_American wrote:
Some tribes of cannibals who eat human brains(no kidding) have developed zombie-like symptoms, including a shuffling walk, groaning, a dead stare, and a hunger for more human flesh. They say it's a prion thing, kind of like mad cow disease. I think it's wicked awesome, in a terrifying sort of way.

Luckily, that condition can't be passed on through getting bitten, thus averting a zombie apocalypse. ^.^
Stupid_American
ocalhoun wrote:
Stupid_American wrote:
Some tribes of cannibals who eat human brains(no kidding) have developed zombie-like symptoms, including a shuffling walk, groaning, a dead stare, and a hunger for more human flesh. They say it's a prion thing, kind of like mad cow disease. I think it's wicked awesome, in a terrifying sort of way.

Luckily, that condition can't be passed on through getting bitten yet, thus averting a zombie apocalypse. ^.^

For now...
Cue creepy music...