FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PC will not play video on card or on onboard graphics

Dmancini
I built a basic htpc with an Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H as a mobo, an AMDI Athlon II X4 630 as my cpu, and 2 g-skill 4 gig sticks.

I had little problem with this setup for around six months but lately have been having a problem with it. After sitting with the power off for quite some time the pc will boot with no problems. However after about 10 minutes the video goes blank and I get "No signal to monitor". I thought perhaps if I installed a graphics card it would bypass whatever problems were on my mobo so I picked up an msi rd450. The same thing happens. I have tried just using vga as well as the hdmi I usually used on both the card and onboard graphincs. My fans seem to be running just fine and do not go full force while it's running or before it shuts down. As a matter of fact everything seems fine until the video shuts down and with the exception of the video seems to run fine after it does.

Any ideas?

Any extra information needed please just let me know.
ocalhoun
After the video shuts down, turn the num lock on and off, and see if the indicator light on the keyboard turns on and off in response.
(Toggling on and off the num lock is a great diagnostic tool. It lets you know if the computer is able to process keyboard input or not.)

If it does, then you've got some weird problem... Probably in the chipset the motherboard uses to communicate with both the cards and the onboard graphics... Or possibly some kind of strange software problem.

If it doesn't, that means the video is going blank because the whole computer is crashing. It could be power supply, motherboard, RAM, or CPU causing that to happen. It might also do that if it is overheating badly... especially given how it runs fine for a short time, then dies.
Marcuzzo
if your PC doesn't crash and it seems to work fine, apart from displaying nothing and
if the monitor says "no input signal" I would suspect everything from Graphics card upto monitor.

if you changed out your graphics card you could try with another cable

if this doesn't change a thing, try another monitor ( the connector could be damaged or it's input controller)