FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reason why 13 is an unlucky number

kenxeiko
There are a few explanations of just why 13 has developed the reputation for being unlucky:

1. In Christianity, the Last Supper had thirteen attendants, during which Jesus Christ revealed that one of the guests would betray him. Legend tells that afterward one of the Apostles, Judas Iscariot, did so and turned Jesus over to the Romans. This led to the crucifixion of Jesus. It is also claimed that Judas sat at the thirteenth place at the Last Supper's table. As a result of this betrayal, the number 13 has maintained a bad reputation and has a superstitious characteristic in Christian culture.
2. Bearing some similarity to the Christian tradition, in Norse lore, a banquet of twelve deities was interrupted by the evil god Loki, making thirteen the number of gods present when the nigh-immortal god Balder was killed by an arrow made from mistletoe (his only weakness). His death marked the beginning of Ragnarok, the end of everything.
3. Thirteen is the number of circles used in Kaballah's Metatron's Cube. Although this glyph was typically used as a protective ward against demons and evil, its use in alchemy and magic may have led to a darker association with the form, much as a pentagram or pentacle has.
4. In Meso-American divination, a trecena is a 13-day period used in pre-Columbian Meso-American calendars to mark the occurrence of important cycles of fortune/misfortune.
5. The ancient Persians, assigning the twelve constellations of the Zodiac to the months of the year, believed that each sign ruled over Earth for a millennium. After the passing of this thirteenth era, chaos would ensue. The Persian tradition of Sizdah Bedar refers to this belief, in which people leave their houses to avoid bad luck on the thirteenth day of the Persian Calendar.
6. The foiled Gunpowder Plot that threatened 17th Century England's government consisted of thirteen original conspirators.
7. Apollo 13 was the only unsuccessful mission by the United States of America's NASA program to land a mission on the moon, although fortunately all of the craft's crew returned to Earth safely.
8. Traditionally thirteen is reported as the number of steps leading up to a gallows.
9. In numerology, twelve is considered the number of completeness and thus thirteen was seen as disturbing that balance,
10. Witches were claimed to gather in groups (a coven) of twelve and during such ceremonies, the devil would appear as the thirteenth attendee.
11. On Friday, 13 October 1307, Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the (Christian) Knights Templar and seizure of all of their assets based on accusations of various forms of heresy. Some were later tortured and then burned at the stake. This is commonly believed to serve as the origin for the observance of Friday the 13th as an unlucky day, however, no record of the date's importance as a superstitious holiday is believed to exist before the 19th century.
12. Friday the 13th is also theorized to originate from the claim that Jesus Christ was crucified on a Friday.

If you find another reason of why 13 is an unlucky number, you may post it here. Smile
metalfreek
I don't no why but most of the cultures consider 13 as an unlucky and bad number. Strange. Rolling Eyes
standready
An interesting read
jrzipagan03
it is not always unlucky. here is my reason why i'd said this..

Several successful sports figures have worn the number 13. Park Ji-Sung, South-Korean footballer and midfielder for Manchester United. Ozzie Guillén, manager of the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox, has worn the number throughout his baseball career. Alex Rodriguez began wearing it upon joining the New York Yankees (three, the number he had previously worn, is retired by the Bronx Bombers to honor Babe Ruth). Dan Marino, an American football player known for passing the 3rd most yards in NFL history, wore the number 13. Basketball great Wilt Chamberlain wore the number 13 on his jersey throughout his NBA career. Also, FIBA rules require a player to wear the number in international competitions (only numbers from 4 to 15 could be worn, and as there are 12 players, one must wear 13); Chris Mullin, who wore No. 20 in college and No. 17 in the NBA, wore No. 13 for both (1984 and 1992) of his Olympic appearances. Shaquille O'Neal wore No. 13 in 1996; Tim Duncan wore No. 13 in 2004. Steve Nash is currently wearing it for the Phoenix Suns. Yao Ming wore it in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Mats Sundin, Pavel Datsyuk, Bill Guerin, and Michael Cammalleri wear 13 in the NHL. One of Iceland's all time best handball players, Siguršur Sveinsson, wore the number 13 when he played for the national team. In association football, both Gerd Müller and Michael Ballack have favoured the number 13, among others.[Citation needed]
In Italy, 13 is also considered to be a lucky number, although in Campania the expression 'tredici' (meaning 13) is said when one considers their luck to have turned for the worse.
Some people even have 13 tattooed onto them to represent the lucky number...
-from wikipedia:)

see??it is not that unlucky...^_^
sathym
Like any other superstitions, it's interesting to see why people believe it.
bluepig83
I'm interested in finding out if the majority of people who believe in 13 as an unlucky number actually have read about the history or if they simply accept it as unlucky based on what society has shown them in pop culture which they've then subconsciously adapted into their own belief systems.
Peterssidan
You could probably compile such a list for any other number if you want to. I haven't noticed anything especially bad with the number 13 in my own life, except that it's a prime.
jajarvin
13 is not an unlucky number.

What if the man had a birthday on Friday in 131313. Would this person be unhappy?
Pippo90
Do you know that this is true just for English people? For example, in Italy 17 is the unlucky one.
likeabreeze
Well, it varies from person to person, even for folks from western countries.
For example, Taylor Swift, the American singer-songwriter, claims that thirteen is her lucky number.

I admit I was pretty surprised when I heard that there was a pop star selecting thirteen as her lucky number--what her fans think of it?(I don't know.)
And technically, there is no such thing as a lucky number or unlucky number, take it easy.
You gonna have a great party even when there gonna be 13 people around...
Don't panic when there are 13 persons having a meal together..
ZeytinGrafik
what is a lucky or an unlucky number? 13 is just a number, as 14 or 15 is. This superstition is the most illogical one.
StormEngineCo
Great post and great points. I try to stay away from the number thirteen as much as possible. I am very superstitious.
amlgoing
jajarvin wrote:

What if the man had a birthday on Friday in 131313. Would this person be unhappy?

This would be an impossible date. There is not a month associated with 13.
amlgoing
bluepig83 wrote:
I'm interested in finding out if the majority of people who believe in 13 as an unlucky number actually have read about the history or if they simply accept it as unlucky based on what society has shown them in pop culture which they've then subconsciously adapted into their own belief systems.

I believe that with enough research any number can be proven to be lucky or unlucky. The Chinese believe that the number 4 is unlucky. I was watching House Hunters (a semi-popular show in US) and the couple would not consider a home with a 4 anywhere in the address.
twotrophy
amlgoing wrote:
bluepig83 wrote:

I believe that with enough research any number can be proven to be lucky or unlucky. The Chinese believe that the number 4 is unlucky. I was watching House Hunters (a semi-popular show in US) and the couple would not consider a home with a 4 anywhere in the address.

This is because the Chinese word for four is pronounced very similarly to the word death. It is pronounced exactly the same except for the tone.
dharmin
jajarvin wrote:

lulwhat??
Don't know if troll or really unaware!!
13/13/13??? damn, i didn't know there was a month after December!

Well anyway, for me 13 is a lucky number, Ive been living in Flat number 13 of my apartment building for many years and it has brought me nothing but luck!
my school roll number was also 13..
Very Happy Very Happy
boinsterman
Whether 13 is an unlucky number depends on whether you "give it power", according to New Agers like myself. I find that the full moon has more power, for instance. The reason: until a few centuries ago, most people couldn't even count to 13, while the moon has been visible in the sky for all of history. When you "give power" to a concept like this, your own thoughts actually create the good luck or bad luck which you encounter. This energy also accumulates at the cosmic level or in our karma. The work of my faith includes negating any such negative energy and its effects. In short, if people did not believe 13 is an unlucky number, then it would not be unlucky.
Blaster
I've always considered 13 a lucky number myself. I do know that there are several sky scrapers that don't have a 13th floor and have seen several hotels/motels that don't have a room number 13. Strange if you ask me.
playfungames
I think in Hinduism 13 is not considered as an unlucky number. We have days named according moon phases and on the 13th day we celebrate some important festivals like Maha Shivaratri. So, I don't consider 13 as an unlucky number. It is just another number. But in the west it is a different story.
grofet
I don't agree that 13 is an unlucky number. 13 and 14 is the same number. If you write the bad history of number you will see that all number is unlucky number. 4 and 13 is just number for me. Not more that number. Culture and myth make a number is better or worse than the other number. Do not trust any lucky number or unlucky number. And don't be confuse with the effect of a number. It's just a coincident or just a hoax.