FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

It's getting huge! 0.o

ocalhoun
Well, I think I created a monster...

I notice one day, hey, look; my pony forum has reached 20,000 posts!
I notice the next day... Over 21,000 posts.

Over 1000 posts in one day!

It's difficult to keep up with it even, which is why I haven't been around here as much.

Anybody else have a website unexpectedly take off like that?
I never really expected it to get over 1000 posts total... much less in one day...

(Oh, and I'm making a different thread to show off the new eye candy on it. Finally getting some really good member-submitted artwork! ^.^
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-134798.html#1079596)
standready
Congratulations, ocalhoun! Jay has friends!
coolclay
Wow, I thought something dirty there for a second.

ANYWAY.... that's crazy Ocalhoun, as nice of a forum as it is, I thought growth would be a little slower than it has been just because of all the other Pony forums!

You deserve a super duper brohoof!
deanhills
Well done Ocalhoun. Great Website! Wish I had time to contribute but looks as though you've got all the posts you were hoping to get and thousands more! I do miss your posts. Great to see you posting here though and wonder where you get all of the energy from. On top of a brand-new college year and looking after horses.
Aredon
I'm sorry ocalhoun, but all I could think of entering this thread was...
Quote:

that's what she said

Cool

Grats on the success of your board though.
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
Quote:

that's what she said

Cool
Think I need a translation here .... didn't get it. Question
loremar
deanhills wrote:
Aredon wrote:
Quote:

that's what she said

Cool

It's a sexual joke according to Urban Dictionary(My go to site for incomprehensible English). Probably his reaction to the title of the thread? LOL.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
It's a sexual joke according to Urban Dictionary(My go to site for incomprehensible English). Probably his reaction to the title of the thread? LOL.
... very funny .... I probably need to beef up on my urban language .... Twisted Evil
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
loremar wrote:
... very funny .... I probably need to beef up on my urban language .... Twisted Evil

Oh Dean you have so much to learn! Thanks to a friend of mine she kinda makes me think of sexual references first... I read the title and was like "hahaha" most likely it wasn't what I thought it meant.

Congrats!

P.S. @Dean: I'm back.....again!!!
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
P.S. @Dean: I'm back.....again!!!
Welcome back Asap! Hope you can make some quality posts so I can give you some of my coins. Smile
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-134778.html
Aredon
deanhills wrote:
Aredon wrote:
Quote:

that's what she said

Cool

Haha I love that you didn't get it. That makes it even funnier. You've really never heard that joke before?
deanhills
Aredon wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Aredon wrote:
Quote:

that's what she said

Cool

Haha I love that you didn't get it. That makes it even funnier. You've really never heard that joke before?
What joke? Angel Wink
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
Aredon wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Aredon wrote:
Quote:

that's what she said

Cool

What joke? Angel Wink

he was probaly referring to the title of this thread: "It's getting huge! 0.o" - is what she said.
coolclay
BTW it seems like the Bronyville site has been down for the past couple days. Anyone know whats up?
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
BTW it seems like the Bronyville site has been down for the past couple days. Anyone know whats up?
Ocalhoun mentioned MySQL query limit issues in the Support Sub-Forum, so is probably looking for alternative space for Bronyville.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-134866.html
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
coolclay wrote:
Ocalhoun mentioned MySQL query limit issues in the Support Sub-Forum, so is probably looking for alternative space for Bronyville.

Wow, Bronyville reaching maximum occupancy. That's nuts!

edit: ok, so it's not bursting the seems, but it's a great site Ocal! I'll have to go over there and join up and maybe be user 300! Smile
IceCreamTruck
OK, so I joined! I had to answer what my favorite pony was, and despite never having contemplated that question before I deliberated and decided Nightmare Moon was pretty freaking awesome! I don't know why other than she's black and her name is nightmare... nice!

How very brawny of you to be all "I have a website, what do I do now!" about it! Apparently if you build it, or put a fence around it, they will come! Smile Good work!

You haven't reached any limits with BronyVille yet have you? I'd think frihost would serve a moderately busy website pretty well. After all frihost supported itself during some pretty busy times, and even I've had moments of 2500 plus users active on my website in one day without any real issues, but they weren't all posting in my DB at the time... the only really complex thing I was doing was tracking them with a perl script that I wrote to ignore bots and show me real people and their activity plus a few other things that are trade secrets! I need to get that script ported over to use a DB... that would be cool.
abhizz
Congratz friend keep rocking with your forum
hunnyhiteshseth
@Ocalhoun-- Was the title of this post intentional? Because, I must admit, it immediately grabbed my attention and like many others - for wrong reason. Razz
But yes, congrats for your forum. I haven't experienced same thing in a website but I have seen uptake of a software & uptake of email service skyrocket in a short span of time.
IceCreamTruck
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
@Ocalhoun-- Was the title of this post intentional? Because, I must admit, it immediately grabbed my attention and like many others - for wrong reason. Razz

He did it on purpose! I promise! Smile
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
OK, so I joined!

I saw that! ^.^
Quote:
I had to answer what my favorite pony was, and despite never having contemplated that question before I deliberated and decided Nightmare Moon was pretty freaking awesome! I don't know why other than she's black and her name is nightmare... nice!

Good choice. She's (the evil version of) Luna, who's also one of my favorites!

Oh, and I simply must know...
For someone who doesn't know much about ponies, how difficult was the anti-spambot question?
Quote:

You haven't reached any limits with BronyVille yet have you? I'd think frihost would serve a moderately busy website pretty well. After all frihost supported itself during some pretty busy times,

Oh, it did hit the mysql query limit, which I didn't even know existed until it went over.

And no, it wouldn't fit on Frihost... mainly because of the attachments. Having an unlimited space host, I've allowed pretty much any and every attachment possible, and now the mass of attachments is too large for frihost.

IceCreamTruck wrote:
deanhills wrote:
coolclay wrote:

Wow, Bronyville reaching maximum occupancy. That's nuts!

It IS nuts, especially on an 'unlimited' hosting plan... (Grumble grumble)
Yes, that is (at least part of) why the site went down for a while, hitting the mysql query limit.
Over 30 million queries in a month, FTW!

I've moved it to a new server though, now with no mysql limit, and half the price of the old server.

...And I continue to be shocked by the post volume... almost up to 28,000 now. ^.^
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, and I simply must know...
For someone who doesn't know much about ponies, how difficult was the anti-spambot question?

I missed the one "_____ is magic" ... I guessed: love

Hey, I haven't watched the show! lol

On the next one it was the elements of harmony, and it wanted to know how many. I looked it up online, and although there wasn't an easy answer I did see that there was a picture of these elements, and they were all crowns or something. There were six of them, so I answered "six" ... I was a little afraid that it would make me answer again because I had answered with a word instead of a number, but it went through ok. I was going to complain to you that your system thinks I'm a bot because I don't watch the show! Smile It didn't go down like that though!
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I was going to complain to you that your system thinks I'm a bot because I don't watch the show! Smile

It even stops (lazy) human spammers! ^.^
Great thing about it being centered around a show; I can ask show-oriented questions, and thereby exclude spammers who don't know anything about it.
Can't do that on a general forum, of course.

(Of course, the answers to most of those questions are only as far as google, but I'm guessing that a lot of spammers would rather just move on to an easier-to-spam forum rather than taking the time to google search the answers.)

And I'm really glad that you could only find the answer to that one through an image! That means it's a really good question; very difficult for a bot to google search the answer to.
IceCreamTruck
You actually had me on a pony treasure hunt... congratz, as I had no idea I would spend time that way! It's rare that someone gets the better of me! Smile
Dementei

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
IceCreamTruck
BTW, I like villains. Nightmare Moon looked like a villain. Remember, you can't have good heroes without good villains! Smile
deanhills
Dementei wrote:
I like this graphic. Cool
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:

That one is not in your collection yet? How committed are you to this pony premise? lmao ... did ya see what I did there! lil pony humor!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That one is not in your collection yet? How committed are you to this pony premise? lmao ... did ya see what I did there! lil pony humor!
I was quite into the graphics at one stage. I also liked the shows of the first season. Did not like the first ones of the second season and then started to lose interest. I guess an honest answer is that although I do appreciate the great quality of the graphics, I'm not overly committed. Yeah ... I did notice that humour! Twisted Evil
Ghost Rider103
Quote:
I guess an honest answer is that although I do appreciate the great quality of the graphics, I'm not overly committed.

You sure seem to be committed to Frihost, which has no graphics, or a lack of anyways.

Though this is of course an excellent thing. Very Happy

It's good to see your site is picking up though ocalhoun. Lets hope it continues to grow. Without me that is! Laughing
IceCreamTruck
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Frihost, which has no graphics, or a lack of anyways.

There have been times when changes to the signature policy have produced some overkill, which I'm sure our resident sage, Dean, would agree. "Well Moderated" is how I describe frihost, and I'm glad we all get to enjoy it together, and have been for quite some time now! Smile

Joining bronyville.org didn't hurt my masculine ego all that much, and ocalhoun didn't mind me signing up because only those who are true of heart may enter or something... I must have cheated! Smile

You should join to support your friends though, even if it's a "baking" website and you aren't into cooking or food prep. I don't care what ocalhoun does, cause I'm going to support him either way if he asks me to, and he did.

Dean, sorry to punish you with poor pony puns... ok, ok... I'll stop now! Twisted Evil
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Dean, sorry to punish you with poor pony puns... ok, ok... I'll stop now! Twisted Evil
I'm sure Ocalhoun must be most pleased with your presence there. I've been a little tardy as I don't really know what to contribute and I seem to be much better served with a wider range of topics like at the Frihost Forums. I also prefer the less busy and plain grey and light blue background of Frihost, easier on the eye.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

It's good to see your site is picking up though ocalhoun. Lets hope it continues to grow. Without me that is! Laughing

Oh, we might get you sooner or later...

You seem to be in a classic state of pony denial... and people in that state usually stay that way until they finally decide to see what all the fuss is about... and then they LOVE it, and then they come and talk about how they can't believe they wasted all that time avoiding something that they now enjoy so much. ^.^

Here, have an epic pony vs giant robot battle!
deanhills
I wouldn't say I LOVED it. I liked the graphics and some of the story line was great. I also joined Bronyville.org as it was your Website and I wanted to support the Website, particularly in the beginning when it was brand new and there was virtually no one around yet. However, I don't think the fact that "My Magic Pony" is not everyone's cup of tea means they necessarily have a problem with being a brony, it may just mean that they are not as enthusiastic about it as you are.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I don't think the fact that "My Magic Pony" is not everyone's cup of tea means they necessarily have a problem with being a brony, it may just mean that they are not as enthusiastic about it as you are.

Oh, I know!
Not everybody will like it... And I completely respect anybody who says they it's not for them, or even that they hated it... if they've watched an episode or two and so actually know what they're talking about.

It's just that Ghost Rider's attitude towards it is so typical of the first stage of people's "how I became a brony" stories.
Why not give it a chance?
It can't end badly; either you'll discover something new to enjoy, or you'll learn for sure that it's not for you... either way, that's better off than avoiding it, but being unsure that you should.

Really, what I like about it is just the relentless cheerfulness... It doesn't matter what mood you're in to begin with, if you watch an episode of ponies, by the end of the episode, you're in a happy, cheerful mood... That is what's really addictive about it... It gives you an emotional high each and every time.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Really, what I like about it is just the relentless cheerfulness... It doesn't matter what mood you're in to begin with, if you watch an episode of ponies, by the end of the episode, you're in a happy, cheerful mood... That is what's really addictive about it... It gives you an emotional high each and every time.
OK got it thanks! I remember that you mentioned at one time that you found yourself singing the theme song when you were jogging. And that it had been great for the jogging. Are you still doing that?

Just checked the Forum and am bowled over with how fast it is compared with the previous time I visited it. Did you change your host as you thought you were going to do? I checked through the styles. Did you design them all? The Derpy one is really great.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Just checked the Forum and am bowled over with how fast it is compared with the previous time I visited it. Did you change your host as you thought you were going to do?

Yep... and it seems faster to me too, though other users are complaining that it's slower.
Maybe the location of the server changed, making it faster for some, slower for others?
Quote:
I checked through the styles. Did you design them all? The Derpy one is really great.

All the ones that include a 'by: _______' were made by members of the site... including the Derpy one.
The ones that don't list an author were made by me... I add a new theme every month. ^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I add a new theme every month. ^.^
How does one do it? Is there some software for it?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
I add a new theme every month. ^.^
How does one do it? Is there some software for it?

Gimp, FTP software... maybe a little bit of text editor... that's the only software needed.

phpbb has a built-in capability for multiple themes, and it isn't difficult to make new themes if you base the new ones on existing ones.

(Making one from scratch would be a huge effort though.)

Oh, and the forum just hit 30,000 posts. ^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, and the forum just hit 30,000 posts. ^.^
Great number! Like the number 3 as well. I should pay a visit and at least get up to date with some of the shows and maybe new character ponies or rogues. Cool
truespeed
Congratulations on the success of the forum,i have just noticed your forum at 6 months old has more posts than mine at 5 years. Wink
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Congratulations on the success of the forum,i have just noticed your forum at 6 months old has more posts than mine at 5 years. Wink
Right. It's getting close to 80,000 posts now. Not shabby at all!