FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Rush Limbaugh apologizes, sort of





handfleisch
So the de facto leader of the Republican Right replied to the storm of controversy he made by calling a Congressional witness a "slut" for testifying about women's need for birth control coverage in health insurance. For once he was forced to apologize, except he didn't really apologize, he just said he regrets the word choice.

Remember when the Republicans said they were the party of "jobs, jobs, jobs"? Now all they can do is obsess about birth control, sex, and forcing invasive ultrasound procedures on women who want abortions. The party is disintegrating into madness right in front of our eyes.

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh Apologizes for Calling Sandra Fluke a 'Slut'

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rush-limbaugh-apologizes-calling-sandra-fluke-slut/story?id=15841687#.T1PFjFGnffU

Quote:
Republicans do remember that women vote, right?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-do-remember-that-women-vote-right/2012/03/02/gIQAGGVJnR_story.html?tid=pm_opinions_pop

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/rush-limbaugh-apologizes--for-vocabulary/2012/03/03/gIQAzuymqR_blog.html
Quote:

Rush Limbaugh apologizes — for vocabulary

Yesterday Rush Limbaugh added to the bulging archive of inadequate apologies issued by celebrities and media figures whose egos just won’t allow for contrition. Days earlier the radio host had called Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke a “slut” in connection with a public discussion over contraception. Fluke had spoken on the issue in a session on Capitol Hill.

“So Miss Fluke and the rest of you feminazis, here’s the deal. If we are going to pay for your contraceptives and thus pay for you to have sex, we want something. We want you to post the videos online so we can all watch.”

A good apology for those outrages could have been worded simply: “I sincerely apologize to Sandra Fluke.” But Limbaugh just couldn’t resist inserting verbiage — incriminating verbiage. This is the money line from the rambling statement he released yesterday:

I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.

Implication: Limbaugh doesn’t regret the meaning of what he said; doesn’t regret the associations he made; doesn’t regret impugning Fluke’s integrity across the country. Just a word choice thing, huh? Well, Limbaugh is one of the country’s most careful choosers of words. How much longer will we let him broadcast his ”choices”?
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:

Remember when the Republicans said they were the party of "jobs, jobs, jobs"? Now all they can do is obsess about birth control, sex, and forcing invasive ultrasound procedures on women who want abortions. The party is disintegrating into madness right in front of our eyes.

They've always been that way. They just usually call it 'family values'.
handfleisch
Awesome: Advertisers are leaving Limbaugh's show in droves.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73675.html
Quote:
Rush Limbaugh loses 39 advertisers


Please sign these petitions to thank the advertisers for pulling their ads off his show and to get Limbaugh off Armed Forces radio. Why do our taxes go to this creep?

http://wh.gov/X1O PETITION TO GET HIM OFF ARMED FORCES RADIO
Quote:
Thousands Sign Petition to Get Rush Limbaugh Off Armed Forces Radio

http://homepost.kpbs.org/2012/03/thousands-sign-petition-to-get-rush-limbaugh-off-armed-forces-radio/
Here's a positive one thanking the advertisers who pulls their ads: http://www.change.org/petitions/sleep-train-and-other-advertisers-thank-you-for-pulling-ads-off-rush-limbaugh
Quote:
Sleep Train and other advertisers: Thank you for pulling ads off Rush Limbaugh

And another:
http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-republican-leaders-denounce-rush-limbaugh-s-anti-women-tirade
Quote:
Tell Republican Leaders: Denounce Rush Limbaugh's Anti-women Tirade


Sign them all!
jmi256
handfleisch wrote:
Now all they can do is obsess about birth control, sex, and forcing invasive ultrasound procedures on women who want abortions.

It’s ironic that the Lefties are the ones who keep creating threads about these things to distract from the complete and utter failure their policies have been, yet claim that it’s the Republicans who are obsessed, and never mind that they lie over and over saying that Republicans want to mandate vaginal ultrasounds and “rape by force.” It also shows how immensely hypocritical they are that they also continue to smear women as “witches” if they don’t subscribe to their idiotic dogma (how very Medieval of you) and blacks as “Oreos” and “Uncle Toms” if they dare point speak out against the Left’s deep history of racism, bigotry and identity politics.

If you really are upset about Rush’s comments, I am sure you will also denounce Bill Maher and Ed Schultz for their equally offensive comments about women. But since that would require them to call out their own, I suspect they will continue to show themselves as hypocrites.








handfleisch
jmi256 wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
Now all they can do is obsess about birth control, sex, and forcing invasive ultrasound procedures on women who want abortions.

It’s ironic that the Lefties are the ones who keep creating threads about these things to distract from the complete and utter failure their policies have been, yet claim that it’s the Republicans who are obsessed, and never mind that they lie over and over saying that Republicans want to mandate vaginal ultrasounds and “rape by force.” It also shows how immensely hypocritical they are that they also continue to smear women as “witches” if they don’t subscribe to their idiotic dogma (how very Medieval of you) and blacks as “Oreos” and “Uncle Toms” if they dare point speak out against the Left’s deep history of racism, bigotry and identity politics.


Witches? Oreos? Uncle Toms? What next, UFOs?

JMI, come back after you take your meds. Some of us are trying to have a serious discussion.
Ankhanu
jmi256 wrote:
If you really are upset about Rush’s comments, I am sure you will also denounce Bill Maher and Ed Schultz for their equally offensive comments about women. But since that would require them to call out their own, I suspect they will continue to show themselves as hypocrites.


Never heard of Schultz, but Maher is frequently a putz... dude gets a lot of things right, but he's also, among other things, an anti-vaxer. Maher is hardly a pillar of reason Razz

Fact of the matter (on topic), Limbaugh has no clue what he's talking about... he's just paid to talk. Whether what he says has merit or not seems inconsequential. His statements on women and birth control show he is completely ignorant of women, birth control and medicine in general. Quite simply, he's an idiot and deserves any flack he gets on this subject.
It's always a good idea for a public mouth to research the topic they're talking about... but people like Limbaugh do away with that bit of due diligence, and this is the result.


Unfortunately, it won't mess up his career. The people who listen to him aren't interested in facts in the first place, so he's exactly what they want to listen to.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Fact of the matter (on topic), Limbaugh has no clue what he's talking about... he's just paid to talk. Whether what he says has merit or not seems inconsequential. His statements on women and birth control show he is completely ignorant of women, birth control and medicine in general. Quite simply, he's an idiot and deserves any flack he gets on this subject.
It's always a good idea for a public mouth to research the topic they're talking about... but people like Limbaugh do away with that bit of due diligence, and this is the result.


Unfortunately, it won't mess up his career. The people who listen to him aren't interested in facts in the first place, so he's exactly what they want to listen to.
Aren't most of the media guys like that though! They primarily cater to their supporters in order to get their numbers up. Sort of a dime a dozen. I'm almost certain that your average intelligent person in the US, regardless of what Party they support, would look quite cynically at what Limbaugh has to say.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Fact of the matter (on topic), Limbaugh has no clue what he's talking about... he's just paid to talk. Whether what he says has merit or not seems inconsequential. His statements on women and birth control show he is completely ignorant of women, birth control and medicine in general. Quite simply, he's an idiot and deserves any flack he gets on this subject.
It's always a good idea for a public mouth to research the topic they're talking about... but people like Limbaugh do away with that bit of due diligence, and this is the result.


Unfortunately, it won't mess up his career. The people who listen to him aren't interested in facts in the first place, so he's exactly what they want to listen to.
Aren't most of the media guys like that though! They primarily cater to their supporters in order to get their numbers up. Sort of a dime a dozen. I'm almost certain that your average intelligent person in the US, regardless of what Party they support, would look quite cynically at what Limbaugh has to say.


It's a matter of degrees. Yes, pretty much everyone in media has bias, and only present some of the facts... but some are more factual than others. Limbaugh and many of those on Fox News feature pretty heavily at the end of the spectrum that doesn't much give a shit about facts, and is strongly opinion based... contrast that against, say... BBC News, which deals much more strongly with facts with only slight bias.

While I agree that most would consider Limbaugh to be particularly cynical, the fact of the matter is he obviously presents material that people want to consume... which says a lot about the consumers. And there are enough consumers that he is kept in business, and quite lucratively so.
There's no shortage of people that think like him... mostly, I imagine, because they don't really like to think (or only think about a very limited scope of elements on any given topic).


(c) marriedtothesea.com
jmi256
Ankhanu wrote:
While I agree that most would consider Limbaugh to be particularly cynical, the fact of the matter is he obviously presents material that people want to consume... which says a lot about the consumers. And there are enough consumers that he is kept in business, and quite lucratively so.
There's no shortage of people that think like him... mostly, I imagine, because they don't really like to think (or only think about a very limited scope of elements on any given topic).

Riiiiiiiiiiight, you would have us believe the Left Wing is over run by brainiacs instead of what they actually show themselves to be, while implying that Limbaugh’s listeners are somehow comprised of the types of people who actually come out to Left Wing events. I mean, just look at the Left Wing Occupy mob members who have showed off their bigotry and racism, which translates into keen intellect if you’re speaking the language of the Left:




Quote:
Interviewer: “Name and affiliation?”

Occupy Los Angeles protester: “Patricia McAllister, I’m here representing myself but I do work for the Los Angeles Unified School District. I think that the Zionist Jews who are running these big banks and our Federal Reserve — which is not run by the federal government — they need to be run out of this country.”






Quote:
Lotion Man: “I got a job, Mo. I do have a job. You’re a bum, Jew. Man, I’m a Jew. Why are you fighting with us? You got the money, that’s why you’re fighting, you Jewish man. My father worked 40 years, and we have a foreclosed house, my mother’s dead, she had a heart attack from stress. You tell the corporations to stop calling my mother.”

Jewish passerby: “What?”

Lotion Man: “What? [Mocking] Uh? Uh? Duhduhduhduhduh. You can’t even speak English? Are you Israeli? Go back to Israel. Israel. Go back to Shalom Israel. … I have a job. I’m a college graduate. I’m in the Local 1 Plumbers’ Union. Who are you to tell me I need a job? Look at you, you short little man. Go away. I don’t wanna argue. Bye! Keep it moving. Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Wall Street.”













You can tell these guys are the Left/Democrats’ cream of the crop./sacrasm
Ankhanu
jmi256 wrote:
Riiiiiiiiiiight, you would have us believe the Left Wing is over run by brainiacs instead of what they actually show themselves to be...

I said no such thing. Please don't project your own ideologies into my statements.
handfleisch
jmi256 wrote:
If you really are upset about Rush’s comments, I am sure you will also denounce Bill Maher and Ed Schultz for their equally offensive comments about women. But since that would require them to call out their own, I suspect they will continue to show themselves as hypocrites.

1. Using that kind of language is always a mistake, and the fact that either of those guys would use that language is probably why I have never watched their shows

2. False equivalencies part 1: Laura Ingraham and Sarah Palin are public figures, very voluntarily, are intentionally controversial and provocative. They are totally fair game (not that I support the language that was used).

However the woman Limbaugh savaged was someone simply being a good citizen, participating in democracy, testifying before Congress, and Limbaugh tried to punish her for it.

3. False equivalency, part 2: Limbaugh attacked this woman viciously, not just by calling her a slut, but in a long tirade that went on and on. There is no comparison to what Maher or Shultz said. (Oh, and you missed your other right wing talking point: You didn't mention Letterman's below-the-belt joke about Palin). As David Frum, former economic speechwriter for Pres.Bush, put it:
Quote:
Even by the rough standards of cable/talk radio/digital talk, Limbaugh's verbal abuse of Sandra Fluke set a new kind of low. I can't recall anything as brutal, ugly and deliberate ever being said by such a prominent person and so emphatically repeated. This was not a case of a bad "word choice." It was a brutally sexualized accusation, against a specific person, prolonged over three days.

4. Shultz was suspended for a week, Letterman offered a real apology. Neither true for Limbaugh and his fake apology, so that false equivalency 2.B.

5. False equivalency, part 3: Maher, Shultz are not kingmakers of the Democratic Party like Limbaugh is for the Republican Party.

6. Do two wrongs make a right for you?
Related topics
The Unofficial Jokes Thread
Visiting a rural farm
Conservative Christian Dictionary.
NATO in final stages of prepping for strikes against Iran
Why did the chicken cross the road?
The Don Imus Firing
Man Living in Car Since '00 Upsets City
Republican strategy, via Limbaugh: Wanting Obama to fail
Boycott GM says Limbaugh & Hope-to-Fail crowd
Obama's speech to students Kindergarten through 12
White House excludes "whining" Fox News from inter
Rick Sanchez.....maybe you lie too. Or don't check facts...
98 advertisers pull ads off Limbaugh + Hannity-Levin-Beck!
Obama Laments Limbaugh/FOX's Effect on Public Debate
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.