FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Risks of Exercise

magnustoday
Musculoskeletal injury is the most common risk of exercise. Acute strains and tears, inflammation of various types, chronic strain, stress fractures, traumatic fractures, nerve palsies, tendonitis, and bursitis all may occur during or as result of physical activity.

More serious but much less common risks include arrhythmia, sudden cardiac arrest, and myocardial infarction.

However, these potential risks do not outweigh the benefits of routine exercise in the absence of a contraindication to exercise.
yatta
Hello

It is amazing for me to hear this that exercise is risky,absolutely wrong by this a person becomes so fit and tight even becomes more energetic.
Bluedoll
I suppose we have to define what the exercise is and more? If we are putting old men into professional football games then certainly risk is great or if we put them into a bed with the neighbors wife, well perhaps even greater risk shot by the jealous husband.. Laughing

Seriously, I really think we have to look at many things to gage the risks of exercise like for example our present physical condition and then cater the kind of exercise we need in relation to our present condition, so to improve it?
deanhills
Nice for my guilty feelings to see just for a brief few seconds that exercise could be harmful to health. But it of course can't be. Exercise always makes me feel much better. When taken too excess however it could have negative consequences. Natural exercise is probably best.
avgukise
Everything has its own risks and benefits. The benefits of exercising are sooooo vast that the risks are thus negligible. Hence, we never hear people talking about the risks of exercising.
bukaida
Exercise should be performed under the guidance of a properly trained physical instructor. The type and amount varies from person to person depending on their age and physical capabilities. Unguided exercise does more harm than benefit.
Coen
I disagree with that. When a person has the knowledge needed there is no problem with exercising by oneself. As long as you listen to what your body tells you (i.e. do not continue and exercise, work-out or sporting activity if you experience (severe) pain) and use common sense then anyone can work out.

Depending on what you do some prior instruction may be preferable (such as when just starting fitness) but if you want to go say running you would be able to do this by yourself when you inform yourself before starting.
bukaida
Coen wrote:
I disagree with that. When a person has the knowledge needed there is no problem with exercising by oneself. As long as you listen to what your body tells you (i.e. do not continue and exercise, work-out or sporting activity if you experience (severe) pain) and use common sense then anyone can work out.

Depending on what you do some prior instruction may be preferable (such as when just starting fitness) but if you want to go say running you would be able to do this by yourself when you inform yourself before starting.

If that be the case, then no sports team or gymnasium would have any physical trainer. What you are suggesting is similar to treating one's disease by taking own prescribed medicine without going to a qualified doctor. The cases like diabetic, cardio patients and pregnant women can do extreme harm and permanent damage(even death) if they choose to exercise without proper guidance. As for example, every exercise schedule needs proper warm-up and cool-down exercises to be followed before and after heavy exercise. Some of the people follow the warm-up exercises ( usually known as free-hand exercises) but very very few people actually aware of the fact that there exist a set of exercises called cool-down exercise. So such people usually harm their tissues in long run which may not be detected instantly.
Jointreplacement
This is nice info. this info is very helpful.
Coen
bukaida wrote:
If that be the case, then no sports team or gymnasium would have any physical trainer. What you are suggesting is similar to treating one's disease by taking own prescribed medicine without going to a qualified doctor. The cases like diabetic, cardio patients and pregnant women can do extreme harm and permanent damage(even death) if they choose to exercise without proper guidance. As for example, every exercise schedule needs proper warm-up and cool-down exercises to be followed before and after heavy exercise. Some of the people follow the warm-up exercises ( usually known as free-hand exercises) but very very few people actually aware of the fact that there exist a set of exercises called cool-down exercise. So such people usually harm their tissues in long run which may not be detected instantly.

Not entirely. I stated that when a person has the knowledge needed they do not require assistance. People who are new to a sport certainly do, meanign that sport teams and gymnasiums certainly have a need for fitness trainers and support staff. However, if you know what you are doing and have a schedule you can follow you no longer require assistance per se.

As for warming up and cooling down the effects of warming ups and cooling downs have been debated. There are those who claim they are not needed to prevent injury. Although they certainly have use beyond that purpose. There are lots of people who do no form of cooling down (or warming up, even) and have no difficulty sporting without injuries at all.
codersfriend
maybe the risk only comes when you exercise too much. or your health condition is not fit to do extreme workouts
bukaida
Coen wrote:

As for warming up and cooling down the effects of warming ups and cooling downs have been debated. There are those who claim they are not needed to prevent injury. Although they certainly have use beyond that purpose. There are lots of people who do no form of cooling down (or warming up, even) and have no difficulty sporting without injuries at all.

Can you give some authentic reference of such claim ? I happened to be a national level player and gone through various training schedule but never heard such claim from any of my qualified instructors. As for the reference of benefit --

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/warmup.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_down
Coen
To see that it is debated: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:lHn3vnyCG-AJ:www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/newsimages/warmingup.pdf+is+warming+up+needed&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjG7gNOVnktpMyFtEG_QDXLTOzK-B8Kcf5c9Dj8PXlcDxyg1UjFxnWCRFEC77EJu2uCv1kvx1BBMfbxYZ4hsloEkDqRVmFGxkM6yyCH0i8JpP0pN3FDnpKwQE1hMcBs4f2wbQN_&sig=AHIEtbQC2b7loduQDFLml_vvlohzDGwy_w

Also if you do a Google search you will find people who never warm up and are still injury free. I myself sport at a pretty high level and hardly ever warm up, and if I do it is minimal. Warming up has a mental function for me, rather than an actual extremely physical one.
bukaida
Man--have you gone through your reference completely ? It says the effect of warm up and cool down on HORSES not HUMANS. You are certainly not equating the the physiological condition of both I presume. Shocked

Shocked

As for the google search-- It fetches both authentic and bogus information together. As for example,you may find quite a handful of people having good health in spite of being regular smoker. That does not mean smoking has no effect on human body in general. Exceptions prove the rule only.
Coen
bukaida wrote:
Man--have you gone through your reference completely ? It says the effect of warm up and cool down on HORSES not HUMANS. You are certainly not equating the the physiological condition of both I presume. Shocked

Shocked

As for the google search-- It fetches both authentic and bogus information together. As for example,you may find quite a handful of people having good health in spite of being regular smoker. That does not mean smoking has no effect on human body in general. Exceptions prove the rule only.

I am aware of that, though its introduction also focuses on effects for humans. Also there is the question of whether or not it is natural to warm up. Did you ever see a lioness do some laps before she goes hunting? I haven't. I'm not saying that warming up isn't useful, but I doubt whether or not it actually prevents injury. If you listen to your body you don't need it, in my opinion.
albertdesouza
For the first time I am hearing this...Not in every case exercise proves to be a curse...Exercise is beneficial for our health..
bukaida
Coen wrote:
Did you ever see a lioness do some laps before she goes hunting? I haven't.

Huh, that means you need not learn swimming also because fishes never learn them but still they can.Shocked
You cannot compare between the things which are entirely different. I got your point ( although do not agree with that) but not your analogy.