FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UK Driving Theory Test

medesignz
Today I passed my DVLA Theory Test... WOO!

The Hazard Perception was the toughest part, imo, and it just takes forever for the videos to change.

Whats it like in your eyes?
standready
Congratulations!
hmmm, theory test?
"the unstoppable object colliding with the unmovable wall."
ujjwalshrestha
If it is at all possible, could you please share what you did for the preparation of the test?
ocalhoun
Sounds a lot more thorough than the one I took for a Florida license...
I just had to answer a multiple choice test that was mostly about recognizing different road signs.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Sounds a lot more thorough than the one I took for a Florida license...
I just had to answer a multiple choice test that was mostly about recognizing different road signs.
That was my experience with the learner test too in South Africa. But then when I had to redo the whole thing in Canada, we have an online MCQ test and the answers to pick are so close to one another, easy to flunk the test. I was lucky as I made it, but many don't. I sometimes wonder whether they do it deliberately just so that they can make more money out of those tests. Twisted Evil
medesignz
I am a member of my local library where I got free access to the training for theory so it could give me mock tests, which I took on a daily basis before my actual test.

My practical driving test is booked for the 20th April, so about 6 weeks away... I am more than likely gonna have to have lots of practice from now until then just to build my confidence.

I am gonna pass though *happy thoughts, good thoughts* Razz
Josso
The actual test bit of it is easy it's just the distinction between a potential hazard and an actual hazard that throws most people off including myself even though I just about scraped it.
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:
The actual test bit of it is easy it's just the distinction between a potential hazard and an actual hazard that throws most people off

... WUT?

All hazards are 'potential'... Otherwise, you're in a wreck right at that moment already.
medesignz
I can see both points of the argument, the hazard perception can be quite cheeky
The_unnamed_label
medesignz wrote:
I can see both points of the argument, the hazard perception can be quite cheeky

Congrats on that Matt!

You'll pass the practical test too..

What do you guys call "hazard perception"???
loyal
The theory driving test hazard clips are the hard part. The questions are easy.
If you want to prepare for the questions, then simply buy a book with all the real test questions and their answers; that's right, the questions used in the test are known and out there in book. The first time I took my test, I didn't know about it, and I only revised from the Highway Code and didn't pass x_x lol
The hazard clips are more tricky. You need to get the hang of clicking at the right time. I used to click too early. You can practice by buying (or borrowing off a friend) a practice driving test CD.
ocalhoun
loyal wrote:

The hazard clips are more tricky. You need to get the hang of clicking at the right time. I used to click too early.

They penalize you for recognizing a hazard too early? WTF, UK?
medesignz
If you recognise a hazard too early you are not penalised, but the hazard would develop and if you dont recognise the development of the hazard then you would have missed the actual clicking window.

Become a member of your local library and you will have access to all the questions and hazard perception videos.
loyal
ocalhoun wrote:
loyal wrote:

The hazard clips are more tricky. You need to get the hang of clicking at the right time. I used to click too early.

They penalize you for recognizing a hazard too early? WTF, UK?

It's like medesignz said. The test is not about potential hazards, but about developing hazards. So I would either click while a hazard was still a potential, and not yet began developing. For example, if there's a car coming from a side road to a junction joining onto your road, that's a potential hazard. However if you see that his speed isn't slowing down, then that's a developing hazard. If he goes straight onto your road without checking for other cars or slowing down, the hazard has developed and you get no points for clicking, as you're too late. Something like that.
Like I said, for those who want to practice for their theory test, I recommend that they grab a practice CD.
ocalhoun
medesignz wrote:

Become a member of your local library and you will have access to all the questions and hazard perception videos.

^.^
1: I've been driving for 10 years.
2: I'm in the US, so I don't have to take this silly test anyway.

...But I am a member of the local library of course! I'm a fan of free books.
Bikerman
I've been driving about 30 years and I took my test well before any tests, so I've never had to do one 'in anger'. I have tried a couple of example ones and didn't find too much difficulty with them - though I do seriously question how effective they are in determining general driving ability.
watersoul
I passed my practical driving test in 1997 and the theory test I took about 2 months earlier was just a multiple choice question thing which even an uneducated muppet could have passed.
I haven't got any experience of the current situation but I remember thinking at the time that the theory test was a handy money making exercise for the UK government, with no real value for road safety.

...good luck with the practical Medesignz, even if you stall the car or whatever, just stay in control, keep calm and carry on - you'll pass Smile
medesignz
Bikerman wrote:
I've been driving about 30 years and I took my test well before any tests, so I've never had to do one 'in anger'. I have tried a couple of example ones and didn't find too much difficulty with them - though I do seriously question how effective they are in determining general driving ability.

The practical test is about driving ability... the theory is for road knowledge.

It makes perfect sense as to why it gets done, and I understand why the old skool would feel it is a pointless test.

The fact of the matter is that it has to be done, and i passed so WOOO! haha
deanhills
medesignz wrote:
Well done! Applause

Have you started to drive yet? Guess that's when the real learning starts. Smile
kbaijnat
In new jersey all we have to do is pass the test in school. We have to take a class and learn about the different signs.
Marcuzzo
I got my drivers license back in 2000 and back then we used to have 40 multiple choice questions.
where one would pass if the score shows less then 8 small 'violations' (not sure about the word here, in dutch it is "overtreding") or 7 small ones an 1 big one.
now they have 80 questions I think and there is no difference between the 'type' of violation, so 5 mayor violations would still be a Pass, which is crazy if you ask me.

aaanyway: congrats medesignz Wink
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
medesignz wrote:
Well done! Applause

Have you started to drive yet? Guess that's when the real learning starts. Smile

I have my practical test booked for April 20th. I have no doubt, and my instructor is very pleased with my progress in such a short amount of time Very Happy
ocalhoun
medesignz wrote:
deanhills wrote:
medesignz wrote:
Well done! Applause

I have my practical test booked for April 20th. I have no doubt, and my instructor is very pleased with my progress in such a short amount of time Very Happy

I took my driving test in a Chevy Suburban, which was (at the time) pretty much the biggest SUV on the road.

My evaluator was very impressed that I was still able to pass the parking tests, despite the huge vehicle. ^.^
medesignz
the worst thing about the test will be the fact that I can do all the manoeuvres perfectly, its just a case of keeping my cool and doing it as I have been taught.
ocalhoun
medesignz wrote:
its just a case of keeping my cool and

Well, that's important for driving, too, so it's a good thing it actually gets incorporated into a test.
deanhills
medesignz wrote:
the worst thing about the test will be the fact that I can do all the manoeuvres perfectly, its just a case of keeping my cool and doing it as I have been taught.
Lots of practice helps as well. I was driving illegally for a few months before I finally got my license. Reason being I was quite poor at the time, and could not afford lessons. I had been a student in the big city and my dad, who lived in a smaller town, had gifted his old car to me to get around. Sort of unplanned and out of the blue, he just arrived one weekend and that's my car. So I used to get up very early in the morning and go for runs in areas that are not frequented by police. I also took enormous risks with driving long-distance. In the end the driving test was an anti-climax. The traffic cop took one look at me and did not ask me to do any of the complicated manoeuvres. Not even parallel parking. Darn! Then a few years later when I was doing the same test in Vancouver, Canada the exact same thing happened to me. The traffic cop just took one look at me, let me drive around the block and then gave me my license. This was after hearing all kinds of stories about people being failed the first round as a matter of principle.
medesignz
Have been driving unlicenced for a few years... on an off, but not on a regular basis.
ocalhoun
^.^ On this side of the pond, we have a way to do that legally, which makes sense, I'd say.

(In most states) You take a theory test, done either on paper or on computer, and that earns you a 'learner's permit'.
With one of those, you can drive legally, but only with a licensed adult (has a driver's license and over 21) in the car with you (some states also stipulate that you can only drive during daytime). You have that for a year, so you can learn and practice how to actually drive, and after the year is up, then you go and take the actual driving test; when you pass that, you get your full license, and can drive with no restrictions.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
^.^ On this side of the pond, we have a way to do that legally, which makes sense, I'd say.

(In most states) You take a theory test, done either on paper or on computer, and that earns you a 'learner's permit'.
With one of those, you can drive legally, but only with a licensed adult (has a driver's license and over 21) in the car with you (some states also stipulate that you can only drive during daytime). You have that for a year, so you can learn and practice how to actually drive, and after the year is up, then you go and take the actual driving test; when you pass that, you get your full license, and can drive with no restrictions.
We had that as well and this is probably standard for many other countries as well. I did not have another licensed adult to accompany me as I was brand-new in the city. I doubt I would do it today, but I think at that time one just did what one had to do. I was lucky that it worked out OK in the end and had great fun driving, especially after I received my license.
medesignz
Provisional Licences are like your learner permits
medesignz
You'll all be very pleased that today I passed my practical...

Nice to get things sorted nice and quickly...

Started mid feb ended mid april...

Must be a new record Wink
deanhills
Congratulations! So does this mean you can drive now? Very Happy
lightwate
Congratulations! Very Happy

I too just passed our local (Philippines) practical test earlier today - what a coincidence! Very Happy - but ours is REALLY REALLY nothing compared to yours. I also passed the 'theory' exam 2 days ago but that too is non sense here. I don't want to bash my own country but seriously, the whole driver's license application process is corrupted.

I'm going to write a blog post about my experience next time (or prolly even a forum topic) 'cause i really want to rant haha.
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
Congratulations! So does this mean you can drive now? Very Happy

Yes I can now shut up and drive Wink

The car insurance is not completed yet, so I have to wait to get that in order before I can go out tho Razz

Car insurance completed :p
TheStripePrincess
Congratulations! I did mine over two years ago but from what I remember it was pretty easy d: Mostly common sense! It took me ages to get the hang of the hazard perception when I was practising because I didn't read the instructions, haha. I only just passed it on the actual day but at least I did! First time too and same for my practical test ^_^
medesignz
TheStripePrincess wrote:
Congratulations! I did mine over two years ago but from what I remember it was pretty easy d: Mostly common sense! It took me ages to get the hang of the hazard perception when I was practising because I didn't read the instructions, haha. I only just passed it on the actual day but at least I did! First time too and same for my practical test ^_^

Yeah, but just so you know... These are my roads now Wink