FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server 4 Down Again?

crystalkey
Went down this weekend, back up. It was working yesterday. Looks like it's down again. Time for a new topic on this?
Bondings
The server seems to be down currrently, yes. I'll update with more information.
inoshi
Thanks Bondings.
Bondings
For some reason the reboot is taking very long. My apologies for the downtime.
Robert_Redbeard
Is this something that happens a lot with this particular server?

I am trying hard to get content up and get ranked. Does this kind of thing effect SEO much?
crystalkey
Probably so. If your site is offline, the search engines will not 'optimize' the results since there is nothing to see.
Dementei
Yea it seems server 4 always has a problem haha, hope it is back up soon and everything will be okay. Anyone got an automatic backup script for domains and mysql?
Bondings
The datacenter is working on the server. There appears to have been a huge bandwidth spike before it went down (according to them).

I also just discovered that accessing the server by the other ip addresses is still working fine. You should (at least at the moment) be able to access DirectAdmin on http://184.95.62.147:2222/ .

I suppose they disabled routing for the primary ip address or that a DDOS is going on.

Again my apologies for the problems.

@Robert_Redbeard, about your question of how downtime affects SEO. Unless your website is down for a very long time (I guess weeks or months, definitely not days) this should not have any effect on the ranking of your website in the search results - at least for Google. Only during the downtime, Google might not show up your site as much in the rankings but most of the time that doesn't happen either. Google (and other search engines) is perfectly able to discover that the server is down (either not responding or giving a 500 error) and will simply delay the crawling to when it is back up. The only thing that can harm your rankings is returning a valid blank (or similar) page that is not an 500 html error.
cybersa
Thanks for the server 4 down notification.
Hope it will up as soon as possible.
abhizz
Bondings thanks for your support.
flamepjlh
crystalkey wrote:
Went down this weekend, back up. It was working yesterday. Looks like it's down again. Time for a new topic on this?

Yes, again                                        
This is a very bad server                                      
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
crystalkey
Thanks Bonings for the updates. Hopefully Server 4 will be back up soon ...
Robert_Redbeard
Bondings wrote:

@Robert_Redbeard, about your question of how downtime affects SEO. Unless your website is down for a very long time (I guess weeks or months, definitely not days) this should not have any effect on the ranking of your website in the search results - at least for Google. Only during the downtime, Google might not show up your site as much in the rankings but most of the time that doesn't happen either. Google (and other search engines) is perfectly able to discover that the server is down (either not responding or giving a 500 error) and will simply delay the crawling to when it is back up. The only thing that can harm your rankings is returning a valid blank (or similar) page that is not an 500 html error.

Thank you, sir. I got a paid hosting package today for my main Home Page. So I will be transfering it as soon as I can.

I will still use Frihost for my Blogs and other domains that I use to support my home page though. I haven't been on here much lately because I have been on a marketing rampage. I only noticed my site was down when I went to check a backlink on my HubPage.

Thanks for all you do Bondings.
Dementei
Server four...oh server four, come back to us.. Crying or Very sad
LearnPS
i am a new people, so i will be in server 4 ? Question
flamepjlh
LearnPS wrote:
i am a new people, so i will be in server 4 ? Question

Yes, Tragedy, isn't it?                                        

Mad Mad
Bondings
The datacenter blocked the main ip address of the server due to a bandwidth spike. The support thinks that the server or an account was compromised - but I didn't find any sign of it.

I'm not sure what is the next step, but in any case I'm looking for a different dedicated server company. The problem is that it's weekend so a new server might not be for immediately.
GuidanceReader
Missed this thread.... thanks for keeping up to date again... hope the server company change helps.... At least I now have a back up address (mirror site) that I can function through, until it's fixed... the server compromise a month or so back taught me some valuable lessons about backup files and mirror sites Razz Wink

On the 'silver lining' note.... at least when server 4 goes down, my post count on the forums goes up Razz
Bondings
I'm considering the get a powerful dedicated server in Europe. The downside is that they setup servers in the weekend so it would only be for Monday or Tuesday most likely. I would also have to purchase and install DirectAdmin myself, which I don't know how long it will take (although probably not days, just a few hours).

About the websites currently, I will be trying to get them back online before the server move through the other ip addresses that are still working. It seems that I'll have to do this manually (changing ip) for each account. This might not be that bad as at least this way I might notice if something goes wrong after re-enabling an account.

I will most likely first be removing inactive accounts (low points) as maybe this might remove some of the problems and will make changing ip addresses and moving to a new server faster.
Blummer
Great to hear at least about current progress. So no files / dbs will be lost?
Bondings
Blummer wrote:
Great to hear at least about current progress. So no files / dbs will be lost?

If you wish you can create a backup of your account on on http://184.95.62.147:2222/ . The data is still there, the server is working, just not the main ip address.

The problem is that the main ip address (the one above is another one) has been disabled by the datacenter due to a traffic spike. At the moment I am not sure what is the cause of this. Either we were the target of a DDOS attack, another server was the cause of it and spoofed the traffic making it look like it came from our server or a lot of traffic came from our server most likely due to a compromise of an account or the whole server (the support seems to think it's the last thing, probably because it's the easiest option for them).
andro_king
just now i requested an hosting account in server 4.. thought to launch my site today but unlucky..@bonding- why not let us use server 3 or 2 until server 4 turn's back..?
Bondings
I have already changed a few accounts to another ip address. The websites of those accounts are loading, however due to dns caching this can take a while to work for everyone (the old one can be cached up to 4 hours).

I am not changing every account yet as I would like to do it gradually to be able to better isolate an account (just in case).
Blummer
Thank you. For some reason, backed up mine. Really appreciate your efforts taken to get everything back.
cybersa
Thanks for the news update.
johans
for sure this will be fixed soon..

Server 4 has a lot of issues..
Bondings
Pretty much all website should be loading (mostly) fine now since I have changed all the accounts to another ip address. If your website might not load yet, it is most likely due to dns caching and you can try it out in a web proxy like http://hidemyass.com/ .

To access your control panel on Server 4: http://184.95.62.147:2222/ . Although the previous links (except the one with the different but similar ip address) should also start to work again.
andro_king
thanks for restoring everything, founder(Mr.bonding)..
Bondings
Please everyone report if your websites are working fine again or not!

By the way, most likely any off-server accesses will not work (parsing rss feeds, ...) due to the main server ip being disabled. This is a temporary solution until either the issue gets fixed or a new server is used.

Secondly, for people who did not use the nameservers, but pointed the A record of their domain name directly to our main ip address, you'll have to (temporarily) change it to 184.95.62.147 (the last number is different).
crystalkey
My website is not loading. Is it a DNS propagation issue? Accessing through the proxy does not work either ...
inoshi
Loading fine Bondings!

Wink
Bondings
crystalkey wrote:
My website is not loading. Is it a DNS propagation issue? Accessing through the proxy does not work either ...

Your subdomain seems to work fine, the domain in your signature is not working for me either. How is it setup? Do you use our nameservers ns1.frihost.org and ns2.frihost.org or did you point it to our ip address (in the latter case you'll need to point it to the ip 184.95.62.147).
deanhills
Sorry for the frustrations Bondings and thanks for being there. I know this is pretty serious but some of the posts that have been made had me in stitches. Can't get better than that for light relief.

Will only Server 4 be relocated to Europe or will all of the Frihost servers be relocated together?
Bondings
@deanhills, no this is only Server 4. At the moment I'm pretty happy with the current Server 2/3 - it had a very bad start but now it is performing decently. The only bad thing currently is that each reboot causes the time/date to change due to a problem with the clock syncing.

I haven't decided yet, but at the moment I'm thinking of a big datacenter in Germany. They have some very powerful and not expensive servers and have a good reputation. I could sixteen-uple the RAM, even though the current 2GB are already overkill for the current usage (the accounts would work on a medium VPS). Of course it has its downsides too, it's not an easy choice.
crystalkey
The .com domain gets redirected to the ,net domain which is setup here. I used the nameservers, and not the a-name records.

Just checked the other 3 domains hosted here. They are working fine but this one cannot be accessed.
deanhills
Thanks Bondings. I've been very happy with my Website for a long time. It's amazingly fast and works well every time. Uploads are super fast too.

Whatever you decide will be great of course. Cool
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Thanks Bondings. I've been very happy with my Website for a long time. It's amazingly fast and works well every time. Uploads are super fast too.

Whatever you decide will be great of course. Cool

@deanhills, you are hosted on VPS1. Luckily that one has been without any big problems lately (apart from some configuration problems due to the ip change some time ago). Server 4 (at least recently) has been a different case unfortunately.
Dementei
It's all loading fine for me, thanks B, I know that whatever you decide for the server will work out great.
crystalkey
Bondings wrote:
crystalkey wrote:

Your subdomain seems to work fine, the domain in your signature is not working for me either. How is it setup? Do you use our nameservers ns1.frihost.org and ns2.frihost.org or did you point it to our ip address (in the latter case you'll need to point it to the ip 184.95.62.147).

I did a ping of the address. All seems OK. I also did a tracert of the address. It eventually got to the IP address of the server. For some reason, this one domain (http://www.crystalkeyministries.net) is unreachable. What is wierd is that the main page using Drupal is inaccessable but other pages and a subdirectory using Wordpress for the blog is working. It appears that something is wrong with the name server resolution. I'm getting this error from one of my blogs:

•The feed from $@$$@$@$ seems to be broken, because of error "0 php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution". Maybe the reason why the front page and FB logins are not showing up are due to the offsite nameservers fail to resolve? I have several 'off-site' items on my front page.
johans
thank you bondings...

Now the site is open normal..
crystalkey
OK. disabled the FB Connect feature. The pages seem to be working now. It appears that the FB connect feature in Drupal was causing the issue, unless our illustrious admin (Bondings) has solved the name lookup issue while I was working on this ... ?

In eother case, the site is functional, albeit some features need to be re-enabled to see if they are still working.
abhizz
Bondings wrote:
Please everyone report if your websites are working fine again or not!

By the way, most likely any off-server accesses will not work (parsing rss feeds, ...) due to the main server ip being disabled. This is a temporary solution until either the issue gets fixed or a new server is used.

Secondly, for people who did not use the nameservers, but pointed the A record of their domain name directly to our main ip address, you'll have to (temporarily) change it to 184.95.62.147 (the last number is different).

Thanks, i got the cottect answer! My admin page and, rss, akismet are very very very slow / not working sometime Smile. But no problem for visiting and collecting datas from site. Thanks for your effort and decisions to buying a new working server!
Robert_Redbeard
Glad this is all taken care of. I had to migrate my site to the new host myself. Tech support was taking to long.

But now that it is done, I can get my new sites up on this server.

Thanks again Bondings.
Bondings
crystalkey wrote:
OK. disabled the FB Connect feature. The pages seem to be working now. It appears that the FB connect feature in Drupal was causing the issue, unless our illustrious admin (Bondings) has solved the name lookup issue while I was working on this ... ?

In eother case, the site is functional, albeit some features need to be re-enabled to see if they are still working.

Unfortunately this issue is caused by the main ip address being blocked and will only be solved by either an unblock or a move to a different server. In any case it will be for another few days - I hope that's a not a big problem for you and others.

Any off-server accesses will most likely not be working. Eg. Facebook access, parsing rss feeds, ...
lovescience
Thanks again! Very Happy

Thank you so much for your effort to make pages online again this soon.
mukesh
server 4 working fine Smile
crystalkey
Most everything is working. Funny thing is that the FB access does not work for Drupal but it is working for the Wordpress blog which probably uses a different method for accessing the FB user profiles.

All is fine. We can survive for a few days until the server move is completed. One question. Will the 'overkill' include additional server space for those of us on Server 4? Just asking ... Very Happy After the move, the folks on the other servers may be jealous! Laughing
Bondings
crystalkey wrote:
Will the 'overkill' include additional server space for those of us on Server 4? Just asking ... Very Happy After the move, the folks on the other servers may be jealous! Laughing

That might be a good idea to compensate for the problems that Server 4 encountered recently.
deanhills
crystalkey wrote:
After the move, the folks on the other servers may be jealous! Laughing
How did you guess? Laughing And only after the move of course. Twisted Evil

Seriously though, am happy for you. Would be nice to have Server 4 threads that are boasting about how fantastic Server 4 is.
meiz
Hi, Bongings, my website isn't working. even through i can visit the main page, but i can't visit any link in the main page. i don't know what's happening. please help me to solve this problem, thanks in advance.

http://cctv.frihost.org

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Bondings
meiz wrote:
Hi, Bongings, my website isn't working. even through i can visit the main page, but i can't visit any link in the main page. i don't know what's happening. please help me to solve this problem, thanks in advance.

It might be because you are attempting to connect to another website which isn't working and the script breaks on it instead of giving some indication of the problem.

In any case, I already received the new server and DirectAdmin is already installed so it shouldn't take too long before all the accounts are moved to it - which should hopefully solve your problem.
pauline5765
My website is not working as well. Please help. www.globalspeakersinc.com
pauline5765
i checked my other websites linked to it and they seem to be working... just this www.globalspeakersinc.com

it was working fine before server 4 went down. please help me figure out what's wrong?
meiz
Bondings wrote:
meiz wrote:

It might be because you are attempting to connect to another website which isn't working and the script breaks on it instead of giving some indication of the problem.

In any case, I already received the new server and DirectAdmin is already installed so it shouldn't take too long before all the accounts are moved to it - which should hopefully solve your problem.

ok, thanks for your quickly reply. expecting my website be back.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Bondings
pauline5765 wrote:
i checked my other websites linked to it and they seem to be working... just this www.globalspeakersinc.com

it was working fine before server 4 went down. please help me figure out what's wrong?

Most likely you pointed to the ip address that is disabled. You need to change it to 184.95.62.147 . However after the transfer it will have to be changed again.
rodexa
Bondings wrote:
crystalkey wrote:
Will the 'overkill' include additional server space for those of us on Server 4? Just asking ... Very Happy After the move, the folks on the other servers may be jealous! Laughing

That might be a good idea to compensate for the problems that Server 4 encountered recently.

Additional bandwidth would also be nice if possible?

By the way, are the nameservers for the new server still the same?

Code:
ns1.frihost.org
ns2.frihost.org
meiz
Bondings wrote:
meiz wrote:

yep, the server4 move has solved my problem!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Bondings
@rodexa, yes the nameservers are the same on the new server.

I'm closing this topic now, for more information about the new server: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-134813.html .