FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DNSChanger Virus / Trojan

crystalkey
You might want to visit http://www.dns-ok.us/ to see if your PC is infected. According to the US Gov't, if you are infected, you might lose access to the internet as of March 8th. This has been confirmed.
rjraaz
i read a report about that in local newspaper few days ago, but they did not expressed the issue in that way.

As i remembered they reported that on 8th March, FBI DNS server registration will going to be expired.
crystalkey
As of March 8th, the court order for running the servers will expire. After that date, the company will no longer have the authority to run the servers. Unless the date gets extended by the court, th eservers will be turned off, hence the alert and panic in some areas.
deanhills
How does one trust this? How do we know that that link may not lead to being infected by a virus if one did not have the virus before?
standready
deanhills wrote:
How does one trust this? How do we know that that link may not lead to being infected by a virus if one did not have the virus before?

Exactly, Dean. If you have concerns, check with your own anti-virus software website for information on viruses.
mukesh
crystalkey wrote:
As of March 8th, the court order for running the servers will expire. After that date, the company will no longer have the authority to run the servers. Unless the date gets extended by the court, th eservers will be turned off, hence the alert and panic in some areas.

Omg what is this? How its possible? Shocked
crystalkey
The US Gov't (www.fbi.gov) has all of the info. They have assumed control of the infected servers, until the court order expires. It's been kept out of the mainstream media. A lot of IT folks did not even know about it.
menino
I think its a good thing that the fbi is putting its hands into this.
If your PC is infected with some kind of malware and you do not know about it, you are unsuspectingly giving off your information to hackers, and I think everyone should have some idea of security of their own information, if they do not want to have it stolen.

I also think that it must be causing more traffic than normal, and probably collecting private information.
spinout
hah, I wonder if that check big enough?!

Supposingly it doesn't keep track of all illegal sites I use... Laughing
Bondings
deanhills wrote:

Yes you should be wary about these kind of websites. In this case, however, (maybe unless you are infected) the website does not require you to download/install/run anything, it seems that it is able to detect the virus simply by your computer visiting that webpage - I assume they can check if your dns settings have been tampered with.

If I understand correctly, the FBI found out about a virus that changes dns settings quite a while ago. They managed to gain control of all the servers that were used for the malicious dns changes and changed them to give the correct answers (probably apart from some way to check it). Of course you should still remove the virus as it can interfere with your computer (if you have it). And it seems that the FBI will take down the servers which would cause your internet to stop working if your computer is still infected by then.
johans
Yes, the comments are correct perhaps this website is cannot also be trusted.
kenxeiko
Well, i'm not too sure that this is true
ThomasAnderson
This is not possible to block the internet connection due to the viruses.
The internet is secured by protocols to prevent the malware or virus attacks.
Asap170
There shouldn't be anymore issues with this virus. There may be a few out there, but most of the cases have been resolved because the U.S. Government tracked the servers down and they re-built the servers using a fresh install and the same DNS and killed the infected servers.
jacksena
Well simply scan your computer with Malware Removal which can safe your computer from viruses and provide best protection.
jdelfire
IMHO this is too over rated...