FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chrome almost catching up with Firefox

Navigator
I don't know why and I would like your opinion on this one

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

It seems that IE is losing big time even though IE10 promises a lot, I guess the IE brand and its association with everything MS is too much of a weight. The real brawl is between FF and Chrome, personally I am an Opera guy but I use FF for web development and when Opera presents glitches in some websites.

Why is Chrome such a big contender, speed, extensions, usability? Or is it because Google has done a good job pushing it at every chance it got? Can we see some similarities between the approach Google is taking and the MS strategy done with previous versions of IE?
truespeed
Quote:
W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives.

These are stats for people visiting a tech website,my site stats show a very different story and i am sure the general internet user stats do too,and although the general trend may be true,IE stats are down on their heyday,and with chrome gaining on firefox,i think it will be a while yet before IE loses its top dog mantle.
kmontano
Chrome is by far my favorite browser. Fast, sleek, and the sandboxing of tasks makes things a breeze.
portoskt
is crome so good for real? i am opera user, and i have just try chrome for a few days, and i didnt like it at all
Chellesei
portoskt wrote:
is crome so good for real? i am opera user, and i have just try chrome for a few days, and i didnt like it at all

Well, as for me, I really liked Chrome among all of the other browsers. It works best on my computer. Very Happy
protw
I think Chrome has already won Firefox,
Firefox usually crashed without any warning message T_T
weableandbob
In my experience, Chrome is a little bit faster and more reliable than Firefox. I also like the layout a bit better. They're both great browsers though.
silverdown
Chrome is pretty cool
Marcuzzo
truespeed wrote:
i think it will be a while yet before IE loses its top dog mantle.

I think it lost this position a long time ago.
The main reason why people use it is because it ships with Windows. as soon as this changes IE is history.
I doubt it that regular users will actualy download and install IE. website developers on the other hand will.
sathym
Firefox is still better in my opinion. Chrome is still getting more used for some reason.
tamilparks
firefox is ok
truespeed
Marcuzzo wrote:
truespeed wrote:
i think it will be a while yet before IE loses its top dog mantle.

I think it lost this position a long time ago.

It hasn't though,if you have a site check the stats,IE still dominates,if there comes a time when they can't ship it with windows then firefox or more likely Chrome will take over.
clubdeinovaristi
sathym wrote:
Firefox is still better in my opinion. Chrome is still getting more used for some reason.

Too much advertising. Google is promoting Chrome in every site I visit.
I prefer Firefox because I like its variety of addons, because it's as fast as Chrome (on a Linux notebook) and faster than Chrome for ~10 tabs open (this is usual for me) and because it's open source and non-profit. And Google can't beat Mozilla on this front.
tranthetoan
The circle of product release of FF becomes shorter and shorter.
Mozilla hosts too many projects Sad
hakaner
I agree with clubdeinovaristi. Chrome with Google and IE coming with windows, but firefox have biggest community. Chrome may be a little faster, but there are so many deficiencies that are innumerable.
fileb0x
Navigator wrote:

It seems that IE is losing big time even though IE10 promises a lot, I guess the IE brand and its association with everything MS is too much of a weight. The real brawl is between FF and Chrome, personally I am an Opera guy but I use FF for web development and when Opera presents glitches in some websites.

Why is Chrome such a big contender, speed, extensions, usability? Or is it because Google has done a good job pushing it at every chance it got? Can we see some similarities between the approach Google is taking and the MS strategy done with previous versions of IE?

Personally, I think Internet Explorer is utterly useless and pitiful. Google Chrome in my experience has been the fastest most reliable browser available. Second I would say only to Opera Browser.

The extensions provide a high aspect usability and an immense level of function. The speed and stability make running Google Chrome smooth and effective. No crashing or glitching or random errors.

I think Firefox would only overtake Chrome in terms of having much more of a developed extensions base and many more options to install from. But when taking into account all other aspects of what makes Chrome such a fulfilling browser. I think its status amongst the other options is second to none.
dude_xyx
Google Chrome is still bit slower than Firefox for me. Maybe It's my computer but I have noticed this from the start. I use both browsers in my PC with Opera.

Still Firefox has better addon base than Google Chrome. But Google is catching up fast.
LostOverThere
If these statistics are to be believed, than Chrome has surpassed Firefox. But, as someone already pointed out, this is for a tech orientated site, so the actual numbers would probably be hugely different.
Navigator
It seems that this has been the case, Chrome has surpassed FF now! Well, that's amazing considering the fact that Chrome is younger and it doesn't seem to have the community power of FF.
Josso
Hmmm I'd rather not use any browser designed by a company so huge. It's bad enough the data we are giving the NSA-like organisations to crunch with their mainframes every day by using Google search.
johans
Navigator wrote:

I am satisfied with Google chrome as of the this past 6 months.. based on my google anlytics most users used google chrome...next by firefox.. http://fastsurvey.org/index.php/list-of-surveys/7-browsers
Navigator
Josso wrote:
Hmmm I'd rather not use any browser designed by a company so huge. It's bad enough the data we are giving the NSA-like organisations to crunch with their mainframes every day by using Google search.

Yeah, I tend to think the same, but what other options are out there? Would Mosaic run in Win7?
dohzr
I used to be a firefox person as well but the more I used it the sluggish it got. Plus random memory leaks were annoying as well. Now that chrome has a stable adblock version, I dont think i will be using firefox any time soon.
pauline5765
[quote="Navigator"]I don't know why and I would like your opinion on this one

Why is Chrome such a big contender, speed, extensions, usability? Or is it because Google has done a good job pushing it at every chance it got? Can we see some similarities between the approach Google is taking and the MS strategy done with previous versions of IE?[/q

I don't know. Sometimes, it feels like chrome is faster compared to mozilla. Probably coz it's lighter. Mozilla takes up so much space. And when it hangs, all the tabs are ruined. With chrome, the only tab that gets closed down is the tab that didnt function and i find that very useful and hasle-free.
Radar
Internet Explorer is battling against it's history. What's amazing to people at large is how much it's improved, not how good it is on it's own.

Safari's success is tied to Apple.

Chrome and Firefox stand more independently by comparison.
hakaner
Statcounter browser statistics for the last one year: http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201108-201208
sysna
chrome performance is better on slow computers but if you have a powerful computer then you can feel the power of firefox, firefox with hundreds of addones installed on it is what i'm currently use to browse the web as well as writing this post but it doesn't crashed on my new computer for over 8 months and never slowed down. it starts up fast and very fast for browsing the web the only problem is that if i run this firefox on my old computer it takes several minutes to start and will crash randomly so it really needs a powerful system.
manfer
Chrome and Firefox both are too RAM consumers I'm starting to like Opera better.

It is said that next release of firefox is going to solve some of the high RAM consumption by add-ons and it is going to be released in a few days. I'll give it a try when it is out to know if that's true.
Qantas94Heavy
I don't like Firefox much as it has buggy issues such as not being able to close tabs and unable to scroll after restarting my laptop from standby mode, however it has the fastest frame rate on a game which requires a lot of DOM accessing using Javascript (don't know why that game is built that way, but it's quite good and I like it).

Chrome has a sleek UI and render times are extremely fast, however their overly close integration with Google Accounts (info keeping I don't like) and the (relative) lack of addons drags it down a bit for me.

I haven't had much experience with IE9 as I'm still stuck with XP (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for PC performance) but from what I can tell, I still prefer Chrome from all aspects, not least Microsoft's ridiculous closed system and yet still being slower than Chrome in my use makes it a no.

About Opera and other browsers - haven't had time to try them on PC yet, only a few on my phone.
codegeek
I like chrome for surfing and firefox for developing. However, I have started using chrome for developing as well since I have the web developer extension installed and firefox takes a long time to load on my system.