FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Paint.net vs gimp?

PapaMinouche
What do you prefer as a free image manipulation software? Or any other suggestion?

I prefer the paint.net interface, but honestly I'm not a pro at this stuff...so what would be better?
Navigator
I don't know, both seem like an amateur version of those Adobe products, but hey, open source deserves all my credit.
portoskt
paint.net have all the functions i need from this kind of programs... photoshop is too complicated for me
Chellesei
Well, honestly, I haven't tried Paint.NET. I use Adobe Photoshop when I edit or create images but I use GIMP in some cases so I'm pretty familiar with it.

I've done some research about this before and most users prefer GIMP than Paint.NET. They say GIMP is more powerful and complex.

Paint.NET's window is better. From what I see from the images, it's easier to navigate here than in GIMP. I heard that it provides some features but not really advanced. They say it would do for those who needs a simple or non-professional photo editing.

In GIMP, there are more advanced effects and tools to edit or create an image (though it's a bit more complicated software). Photoshop brushes can also be used in GIMP. For me, it's the best alternative to Photoshop.

But sometimes, in the start up (when you open it) of GIMP, it sometimes freezes. Well, just sometimes. There are also a lot of times when it opens smoothly. That's what I have noticed on my computer. I don't know if it's because I'm running too much programs at once or what. But that doesn't matter anyways. xD It works well after a few seconds of hanging up.

If you try to learn how to manipulate a more complex/advanced program, better go with GIMP. It's worth the time. Smile But if you just need a pretty simple image editor, Paint.NET will do.
welshsteve
GIMP is a mess to use. No doubt it is powerful if you're willing to give it time, but the interface is just horrible and messy and I have never got on with it. GIMPshop is meant to be better but I haven't tried it yet. I use paint.net all the time and it's a great program. Only major drawback is it's inability to edit text once it is entered. Only way to do it is to use layers, then delete the text layer if you need to change it and create a new layer to enter your new text.
flamepjlh
PapaMinouche wrote:
What do you prefer as a free image manipulation software? Or any other suggestion?

I prefer the paint.net interface, but honestly I'm not a pro at this stuff...so what would be better?

I prefer paint.net.                                       

It's light and meet my requirements. Smile Smile
PapaMinouche
@Chellesei Thanks alot...I'll probably give it a try! As I get to experience a bit more with Paint.net, it looks quiet simple as you said, and maybe limited too!

But for what I'm doing Paint.net seems ok for now, if I feel the need to experiment I'll probably go with GIMP Razz
Chellesei
PapaMinouche wrote:
@Chellesei Thanks alot...I'll probably give it a try! As I get to experience a bit more with Paint.net, it looks quiet simple as you said, and maybe limited too!

But for what I'm doing Paint.net seems ok for now, if I feel the need to experiment I'll probably go with GIMP Razz

No problem! Very Happy
That's right, I think you should give GIMP a try. Smile Creating or editing images would be more fun if you keep on testing and experimenting. You can also discover more techniques when you do experimenting. Laughing
weableandbob
I haven't used either very much, but I preferred paint.net much more when tried them.
loremar
I always use GIMP to edit some image but what disappoints me in GIMP is the Bezier curves. Those dots are so freaking irritating and hard to move around; Paint.net's looks more better. But what's great about GIMP's Bezier curves is you can save them as paths or transform them into a Selection. Hope they make more improvements with it.

Another interesting softwares are Inskape and Pencil. Inkscape has an interesting interface and also very rich in features. While with Pencil, it's so easy to make sketches. It also makes 2D animations.
jcreus
Navigator wrote:
I don't know, both seem like an amateur version of those Adobe products, but hey, open source deserves all my credit.

amateur made me cry Sad I think it's pretty professional, really powerful and I've done pretty amazing things with it (then I realize people on the net have done 1000x better things...)
espaciored
The GIMP is a good alternative to expensive software. There are good tools for creation and modification in images.

I have used it once and I liked a lot.
I recommend it.
Pomelete
I prefer GIMP. I think that GIMP is very intuitive program. I also believe that be a program free is very complete.

Regards,
silverdown
None of the above...

Photoshop XD
rjraaz
I have never been used any one of those. I always use Photoshop but some of my friends tell me that GIMP quite good application for image editing.
tranthetoan
I think there are a bit different between a paint-program and a professional graphics editor Smile
Why paint.NET provide basic functions for edit a picture, GIMP gives you ability to seperate layers and work on them. ( just like Photoshop)
PapaMinouche
But you can seperate layers with .Net too, but of course nothing beats photoshop Razz
wikiviet
I haven't used GIMP before, So i dont know about it. Paint.net is good. It is suit with who only want a small program to edit the picture. It work very good all time. My brother use it very well.
dude_xyx
Paint.net is okey but I think GIMP has more features and functionality. It's the best alternative for photoshop so far.
ocalhoun
Paint.net is okay for the amateur who just needs something better than MS paint...

But it really can't compete with the gimp.
(Yes, I know the gimp's interface is different. After some time getting used to it though, you'll find it's better. Doing things with the gimp often takes only half as many user actions (clicks and keypresses) as the same thing in photoshop would. Really, it's just the little things... like typing in 'filename.jpg' in the save as dialog will automatically set it up to save as .jpg, where photoshop requires you to look up the jpeg file type in their menu, with no shortcut available.)
On my forum there are some die-hard paint.net users, and I feel so sorry for them when I try to give them advice on how to do something in image editing... I'll say, "Oh, just do _____, and then _____" ... and they'll come back all disappointed, saying "I don't think paint.net does ______".

Photoshop and the gimp are very comparable, nearly equal in capability... but paint.net is a significant step below either of them.
If you're serious about image editing, and currently using paint.net, you should do one of three things:
1- Learn to use the gimp's interface. (It really isn't that hard.)
2- Get a pirated copy of photoshop. (Also not difficult.)
3- Pay for a copy of photoshop. (May be difficult depending on how rich or poor you are.)
loremar
There's also a patch for Gimp called Gimp paint Studio(GPS). It has presets for brushes and tools and some cool splashes too. If you install them, you can do more quality artistic works. What I like about GPS are the brushes that look like strokes you usually see from painters/artists. And they're so easy to use. My favorite feature are light effects like say you want to draw a beam or some "glow in the dark" things.

Download GPS here:
http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/
Sample artworks done through GPS:
http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/wiki/Gallery
debaroon
Aahh... tough choice... GIMP or PAINT.net.
Well.. I use PAINT.net for a quick fix and GIMP for detailed edit.

If you ask me to recommend one out of this two... well, sorry i cant, both these are superb and i use it equally.

_Debaroon
pauline123
I do not know which I would suggest for this type of work. However, I have yet to find GIMP to not be able to do anything that Photoshop can. Sure it does it in a different way but that is why it is a different program if it was the same it could not be FOSS. Paint.net is a good choice if you do not need the tools availabele in GIMP. So the main reason for choosing one over the other when I do, at least for me, is what I need to do.
TheRPGLPer
I would easily take Paint(dot)net over Gimp anyday.
DiegoEli
i prefer GIMP because is a useful software but just have to use photoshop if we want to get a job
darthrevan
I would use the GIMP, the newest version 2.8 can be setup to use a single view mode so that, in my opinion, would make it easier to use and kinda like Photoshop
Radar
I haven't used the other, but I will say that I find it hard to imagine something other than Gimp being that functionally close to Photoshop.
ZeytinGrafik
I use professional software like photoshop, paintshop, coreldraw, illustrator. But when it comes to free software GIMP is a better choice. First of all you can use gimp in nearly every operating system. Paint.net requires a windows machine with tons of updates. GIMP has better plugin support and is closer to photoshop. Also try DRAW, as a free vector based drawing program.
Mr_Howl
pauline123 wrote:
I do not know which I would suggest for this type of work. However, I have yet to find GIMP to not be able to do anything that Photoshop can. Sure it does it in a different way but that is why it is a different program if it was the same it could not be FOSS. Paint.net is a good choice if you do not need the tools availabele in GIMP. So the main reason for choosing one over the other when I do, at least for me, is what I need to do.

I've even heard that GIMP gurus may often find Photoshop to be lacking--i.e., Photoshop is not as powerful as GIMP when you know how to use it. The interface is so weird though. It's like the vi of image editors.

But to be honest, why not install both? Use Paint.NET for quick things, and fire up GIMP when you need to do serious manipulation. Look at the loading times of the two programs. Both can serve their purpose.
deanhills
I prefer GIMP as it comes with loads of documentary support at the GIMP Website, as well as so many people use it, plenty of tutorials and how-to's on YouTube.

Don't know what I'd do without GIMP!
Peterssidan
I prefer GIMP because it's free, open source and works on Linux. I have never tried Paint.NET.
chartcentral
What I like about Paint.NET is that it's lightweight. So for quick and basic editing, it's good enough. But for more advanced stuff, I guess GIMP's gotta get the job. Smile
sysna
Gimp of course because it is cross platform , if you are only using windows then adobe photoshop is the best but when you are using multiple os including linux distros then Gimp is the best option available.
milkshake01
I prefer GIMP because it has more functions. But Paint.net is better for people who do not need so many functions as it is less complicated. It depends on the user.
zaxacongrejo
both are crapy
codegeek
I think GIMP is better, but it's only marginal. The best is, of course, Photoshop. However, it is really expensive and you can get a lot done with GIMP as well (provided you know how to use it).
Sabbadon
Peterssidan wrote:
I prefer GIMP because it's free, open source and works on Linux. I have never tried Paint.NET.

same here as I use GIMP on Linux too.
I tried Paint.NET, it's not bad, but it won't change my life too.. so I'm keep using GIMP
mgeek
Paint.net is easier to use. The GIMP is good if you are using Linux but inconvenient if you are on Windows
ocalhoun
mgeek wrote:
Paint.net is easier to use. The GIMP is good if you are using Linux but inconvenient if you are on Windows

How is the windows version of gimp any less convenient than the linux version?
They work exactly the same way.
mgeek
ocalhoun wrote:
mgeek wrote:

For Windows one will have to download other software apart from the main installation
ocalhoun
mgeek wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
mgeek wrote:

For Windows one will have to download other software apart from the main installation

The extra software is included within the single .exe installer nowadays... and even then it only causes a slight extra bit of effort during installation. Actually using it is identical.
subhan1
GIMP is better in a way that it gives most of the options we want
shamgo
gimp all the way.
yakuZza22
Gimp all the way , this is the best free image manipulations software on the web.
sysna
Of course gimp, gimp is the best free one in this category, i'm working with it for many years and i know it is nearly a complete replacement for photoshop if you know what you are doing.
taytay
paint.net is what I found first, and I've become really good with it. I'm no uber photoshopper, otherwise I'd save up to fork out the huge expense. I did torrent Photoshop CS2 a few years ago to try it out. After several hours of playing with it, it was neat, but I was glad I didn't spend the money on it. All I need is something simple but powerful. Paint.net does everything I want it to, and for free! I've since deleted Photoshop. Didn't care for it in contrast to the basic things I require which I can do easily with paint.net. Free stuff is always amazing!