FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Low cost

The_unnamed_label
Hey guys!!

I really love travelling a lot, and I do... even though, costs are high as you know...
does any one of you have tips?? on how do get discounts etc.?
gandalfthegrey
Last-minute travel, not caring about where you are going, being prepared to travel at the last minute if you find a flight or travel package last minute to a destination that you desire.

The difficulty here is that most people have jobs they cannot have this kind of freedom. Unless you are (1) freelance consultant, (2) a business owner that either can take a leave (i.e. a service business) or (3) have sufficient employees to cover your absence, (4) are retired, (5) are a student, (6) have extended vacation time or leave, such as a teacher or university professor with the summer off (or a university professor on sabbatical), (7) have an job that you could leave (and/or have an understanding boss - I think a job like real estate agent might work well for this).

Other than that - couch surfing and using travellers hostels can help save money.
The_unnamed_label
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Last-minute travel, not caring about where you are going, being prepared to travel at the last minute if you find a flight or travel package last minute to a destination that you desire.

The difficulty here is that most people have jobs they cannot have this kind of freedom. Unless you are (1) freelance consultant, (2) a business owner that either can take a leave (i.e. a service business) or (3) have sufficient employees to cover your absence, (4) are retired, (5) are a student, (6) have extended vacation time or leave, such as a teacher or university professor with the summer off (or a university professor on sabbatical), (7) have an job that you could leave (and/or have an understanding boss - I think a job like real estate agent might work well for this).

Other than that - couch surfing and using travellers hostels can help save money.

Im one of those free people you mention Wink for a bit...

what I want is go to a certain destination but usual ways are pretty expensive....
I'm used to travel a lot, but thing is I have to commute to Ireland regularly (ish) from now on and I wanna find a way to not pay as much money.... you know...

But thanks for your comment x
swissmasala
http://www.hostelworld.com

http://www.hostelbookers.com

http://www.budgetplaces.com
fuzzkaizer
What about hitchhiking? in a country where the weather is fine enough to sleep somewhere in the landscape with a sleepingbag? i guess this is quite out of time?
Afaceinthematrix
fuzzkaizer wrote:
What about hitchhiking? in a country where the weather is fine enough to sleep somewhere in the landscape with a sleepingbag? i guess this is quite out of time?

Of course it isn't. Some countries are very kind to hitchhikers (although I wouldn't suggest it in the U.S. because our culture is so against it that the few people who actually would pick you up are highly likely to be untrustworthy) and sleeping in a sleeping bag outside of town certainly isn't out of time. I have done that in multiple countries. I usually bring a tent as well and research campgrounds before I get there. I'll be out of the country next month and I have already done that for some of the places I am visiting and the rest of the places I will try to wing once I get there. Multiple times, I've been in forested areas and so I've just hiked into the forest for a couple of miles until I am certain that no one is around and then just pitched a tent. As long as you're quite and you leave early the next morning, no one will ever notice nor care.
c'tair
    Check out various couch-surfing sites.
    If going to Europe, get a euro26 or <26 card, it has a lot of benefits.
    Bring your student ID if you are a student, again in Europe students get a lot of discounts especially when using public transportation.
    Buy quality stuff. A pair of expensive but durable pair of boots is worth much more than 10 pairs of cheap boots - this applies to other equipment as well.
    However, don't go overboard with the above point Wink .
    Try hitchhiking as you mentioned, it's still alive and strong.
    Bring a tent or at least a sleeping bag, you'd be surprised at how many places you can spend the night if it's warm enough.
    BE very flexible when it comes to dates.

Hope this helps.