FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How often do you restart your computer?

How often do you restart your computer
1 time every day
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
2 times every day
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
More than 3 times every day
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
1 time every week
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Several times a week
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
1 time every month
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Several times a month
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
I restart my computer annually! :)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

IceCreamTruck
How often do you restart your computer?

Putting your computer to sleep does not count, and putting your computer into hibernation mode does not count either. In this case "restart" refers to completely shutting down the system, and rebooting the operating system.

Please answer in the poll, and you may comment as much as you like, even a little off topic if the argument is sound, thanks!
metalfreek
I restart my computer once a day. I know its not that necessary but I think that restarting computer once a day frees some memory and a much needed break for computer. And I frequently shutdown my PC as well.
Marcuzzo
I don't have a desktop anymore as I've used it my arcade cab. ( which is still WIP )
and my laptop will be shut down when I'm not using it.
my PC at work will be restarted each friday so I don't lose a lot of time when I get there in the morning.
Ghost Rider103
I used to restart it daily, if not more.

However I find it so much more convenient to put the computer into stand by mode. Every morning when I come to start my computer up, it immediately starts right up without having to boot.

So I will once in a great while do a restart, usually because of an update, so roughly once a month or so.
Peterssidan
I always Turn my computer off when I go to sleep. If I know that I will be away for many hours I often turn it off.
luciferfawkes
I typically restart every couple days unless I did some programs that really bogged down my computer, then it'll be sooner. As for shutting down, I wish I did but I use the sound of my computer fans to fall asleep. I can't remember the last time I haven't.
belltown
On average, I start it about once a day. Generally, when I travel I do a full shutdown. The only other time I feel I need o do a full restart rather than sleeping is when my display gets messed up. I have an Intel integrated graphics card in my HP ENVY 14 laptop. Even though I have all the latest video drivers and Windows updates I have a problem where sometimes putting a video in full-screen mode (e.g. a YouTube video), the colors on the display get a very faded, "washed-out" appearance. When I'm watching a video the colors in the video are still fine, but everything else (browser windows, desktop icons, etc.) gets faded. I never did find a solution to this problem other than doing a complete re-boot.
therimalaya
I generally put my computer in hibernation. Something due to software installation and update installation I have to restart it. Moreover, in other occation, as i don't have any power backup, I have to restart when the electricity is suddenly cut-off.
lovescience
I turn off computer when I have to leave it for hours without using it. I leave it on when I only take several minutes out. I also leave it on when it is running on something and I am away from it.

I restart computer when it is for some reasons that I have to restart the computer for it to work. Usually it is when the computer needs a fresh restart. It only occurs in several days in two or three months.

When it's possible, most of days I only turn it on once and turn it off once in a day.
davidv
The servers at home, maybe once every few months but my laptops and "game stations", every few days.
welshsteve
It all depends on what I am doing. If i'm running lots of updates etc, then it's likely it'll be a few times. But in general once a day I would say
Mr_Howl
Every few days.

I dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu, so sometimes I need to switch. Very Happy
Chellesei
I restart it when it slows down. I voted for several times a month since there's a week when I don't restart it. Smile For a month, I think, the minimum times I restarted it 4-5.
miteY
Once in a while when the laptop starts to hang, I restart it. But it's really not such a common experience and I don't keep track of those things.

But I will say like once a week. Other than that, it's shutdown, boot and again.
johans
i restart everytime i have issues and shutdown when finished in used.
Very Happy
Mcfr0st
i usually shut my computer down at night when i wont be using it the next day until after work. unless im doing some kind of system maintenance. i used to leave my pc on for 30/45 days at a time without restarting it Confused
nepalstar
I never counted that but I think I do restart my computer twice a day in average. I put my computer in hibernation so often so sometime I need to restart computer and sometime when I feel my computer is working slow I do restart.[/code]
weableandbob
I restart once a day unless I have to install important updates, do hardware maintenance, etc. I just turn it off at the end of the day.
Asap170
For my new laptop... I only restart about once a week. I am a computer freak and and on my computer more then any average person so there really is never a time to restart.

For my old laptop... It gets restarted not often anymore. Now it has turned into a computer that runs 24/7 for no specific reason yet.

For my server... It restarts about once a month because of updates. Other than that very rarely it gets restarted.

For my desktop... It isn't ran that much anymore it mostly is there for testing parts (Hard Drives mostly.)

For my other desktop... It never gets turned on. It sits in my closet collecting dust because it runs Windows 98 or Windows 2000 I forget which.
FunDa
Asap170 wrote:
For my new laptop... I only restart about once a week. I am a computer freak and and on my computer more then any average person so there really is never a time to restart.

For my old laptop... It gets restarted not often anymore. Now it has turned into a computer that runs 24/7 for no specific reason yet.

For my server... It restarts about once a month because of updates. Other than that very rarely it gets restarted.

For my desktop... It isn't ran that much anymore it mostly is there for testing parts (Hard Drives mostly.)

For my other desktop... It never gets turned on. It sits in my closet collecting dust because it runs Windows 98 or Windows 2000 I forget which.

Wow... I shut down my computer atleast every 5 hours. I've not kept laptops running for more than 8 hours maximum. I'm scared of damaging it by overheating or something likre that. Won't be able to afford a new one any time soom Confused Confused Confused
Asap170
FunDa wrote:
Wow... I shut down my computer atleast every 5 hours. I've not kept laptops running for more than 8 hours maximum. I'm scared of damaging it by overheating or something likre that. Won't be able to afford a new one any time soom Confused Confused Confused

I run my new laptop for about 12 hours a day on the weekend. And about 6 hours on Monday - Friday.......I already melted the stuff (forgot name of it) that they put over your CPU and GPU to help with distributing heat and stuff. (and no it isn't the heatsink) Anyways...I have a warranty (next day on site) and they fixed it. But I overheated this laptop about 30 times... And she still runs great!
jurl
if you have linux you should't have to do this so often...
windows is windows...
fileb0x
I restart only when experiencing lag or general slowness

Otherwise the machine is always on.
cnitolo
I don't always use it, so i don't let always on, when I go to use start from scratch.
inuyasha
I'm a bit confused.
Do you mean how many times I have to restart my PC? Or just shut down it manually?

My laptop does not break down that often, so usually I don't have to reboot it. But I can't expect it keeps on for all day long~ It's of course shut down when I sleeps. But yeah, I spend a long time with my laptop since now I'm reading computer science and program often. It works ten hours or so a day~
Josso
Probably like once a week. My computer does quite a lot of stuff when I'm not using it and acts as a server for several things so I can't really turn it off very often.
william
My computer boots up in about 15 seconds, so I restart and/or shutdown at least once a day. I have other systems that are meant to run for long periods of time, so they are often shut down every few days. They do, for the most part, run Linux though, so restarting is not as necessary. Wink

I suppose I could keep my computer running for longer periods of time, but the gradual slowing down and the extra power consumption isn't worth it. No need to sleep either, since it's only marginally faster than shutting down.
pauline123
I restart my computer once every few days/ few weeks. Whenever I need to switch to Windows or restart due to upgrades and stuff. Windows requires a restart more often, but occasionally my linux OS will request one as well.
sonam
I am restart my laptop every day. Sometimes twice. If I am working something important and need to continue work letter then hibernate.

Sonam
the-guide
It is no reason for me to run it 24 hours all days and all nights.
I always turn it off every times when I finish my task and no longer need to use it for long time.
Talk about restarting, I rarely press the restart button, it is only need when I have memory problem.

Gauravs90
Now in windows 8 If you want to refresh the whole OS you need to restart as shutdown will only hibernat the important windows 8 files which are required for faster startups.
Maelkun
With Windows 7, I always use hibernate, I almost never restart it. I suppose it is because Windows 7 manages memory and everything better that older windows... And of course it is much faster to turn on it this way.
appsapps
I generally only reboot when it is actually needed, which is about once a month. I actually hate rebooting since I have a script that handles my startup apps that staggers out launching them so they don't all compete to get their icons in the tray at the same time. With a powerful pc and a lot of apps running, that can take awhile...and I am rather impatient.
hflorin
Well i restarted several times a week, depends on what i do, but overall only few times per week , no more.
standready
This desktop gets shutdown almost every night.
My older desktop ran 24/7 since it was used as phone answering machine and fax. It has Windows 98 running on it and had a built-in 49 day 'hot boot' that cleared everything while still running. Yes, it did slow the computer for about a minute. That computer practically ran non-stop for 10 years and I still use it.

Post 2525 Very Happy
silverdown
I reboot maybe 2-3 times a week unless the power goes out then i shutdown with my backup battery power to be safe. My laptop I reboot once a day.