FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Md. Republican: Meeting gay couples left me 'changed person'

handfleisch
I spend a lot of time bashing Repubs here but I want to point out that there are of course many Republican politicians who are sane and decent. They just don't run for president or make it to the national level of the party:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-maryland-gay-marriage-republican-supporter-20120223,0,3727286.story

Quote:
Maryland Republican: Meeting gay couples left me 'changed person'
By Ian Duncan Washington Bureau
February 23, 2012, 5:18 p.m.
A chance shake-up of Maryland House of Delegates seating assignments brought Republican Wade Kach face to face with gay couples who had come to make the case for a gay marriage law, and might have proved decisive in its final passage through the state's General Assembly on Thursday.

In an effort to get the bill to the House floor, a special joint committee was formed and legislators were left scrambling for seats. Kach, who had previously backed attempts to define marriage as between one man and one woman, found a space right next to the witness table.

"I saw with so many of the gay couples, they were so devoted to another. I saw so much love," he said. "When this hearing was over, I was a changed person in regard to this issue. I felt that I understood what same sex couples were looking for."

A week later, Kach voted for the gay marriage bill on the floor of the House of Delegates, one of only two Republicans to do so. Their support proved vital, as the bill squeaked through the 141-member chamber on a 7267 vote. The bill's passage through the Senate also was close it passed 25-22 Thursday and Gov. Martin O'Malley, a Democrat and a strong supporter the law, is expected to sign it soon.

edit to fix link
Hello_World
I just want to quote a comment on the site you link to:

Quote:
and then move your spotty white ass over to the one that sane people belong to. If this guy stays a Repuke he's a ****** hypocrite.

It is good to see one of these sort of people are able to see the light of day when confronted with the obvious.
coolclay
Quote:
and then move your spotty white ass over to the one that sane people belong to. If this guy stays a Repuke he's a ****** hypocrite.

Quality group of people!

But back on topic, there are many many conservatives that share such views, just not ones you pay attention too. And I feel like there are just as many liberals that are anti-gay.
handfleisch
Hello_World wrote:
I just want to quote a comment on the site you link to:

Quote:

It is good to see one of these sort of people are able to see the light of day when confronted with the obvious.

I apologize and did not intend to link to that site. I have fixed the link. The problem with any website of that kind are the free-for-all posts that no one wants to be associated with, as I am sure are familiar with.

coolclay wrote:

But back on topic, there are many many conservatives that share such views, just not ones you pay attention too. And I feel like there are just as many liberals that are anti-gay.

you think so? I think you could be right but it's hard to prove such things. I think that plenty of Republican women, for instance, vote pro-choice without being public about it. I think many have family connections to the gay reality and also might vote accordingly. Interesting idea, have you done any research on it?
hw3patch
coolclay wrote:
Quality group of people!

That seems to be the case. According to this web page, 23% of liberals oppose gay marriage and 19% of conservatives support gay marriage.
handfleisch
hw3patch wrote:

That seems to be the case. According to this web page, 23% of liberals oppose gay marriage and 19% of conservatives support gay marriage.

Fascinating. And yet the Republican party itself (the politicians and hierarchy) is the party of DOMA and the Dems are the ones fighting that and pushing for gay marriage rights. Look at the GOP presidential candidates, all hardcore against gay marriage. (But Ron Paul the sort-of Republican is sort-of for it).
Ankhanu
handfleisch wrote:
(But Ron Paul the sort-of Republican is sort-of for it).

Personally against, but feels the government has no place in making any decisions in that regard... which is a pseudo-support for gay rights.
catscratches
hw3patch wrote:
coolclay wrote:
Quality group of people!

That shows the exact opposite... 23% of the liberals were against it and 80% of the conservatives were against it... How's that "just as many liberals that are anti-gay"?
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
(But Ron Paul the sort-of Republican is sort-of for it).

Personally against, but feels the government has no place in making any decisions in that regard... which is a pseudo-support for gay rights.

Which goes to show why it would be great for the government to have no part in it.

If the government has no control over who (for example) can and can't get married, then you have no reason to worry that politician with personal and/or religious views will try to control it.

If government didn't legislate marriage at all, then it wouldn't matter if politicians were pro- or anti- gay marriage.
Mr_Howl
coolclay wrote:
But back on topic, there are many many conservatives that share such views, just not ones you pay attention too.

The problem is that they don't get enough attention.
hw3patch
catscratches wrote:
hw3patch wrote:
coolclay wrote:
Quality group of people!

That shows the exact opposite... 23% of the liberals were against it and 80% of the conservatives were against it... How's that "just as many liberals that are anti-gay"?

I think what coolclay was saying is that there are just as many liberals who oppose gay marriage as conservatives who support gay marriage. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it.
handfleisch
hw3patch wrote:
catscratches wrote:
hw3patch wrote:
coolclay wrote:
Quality group of people!

I think what coolclay was saying is that there are just as many liberals who oppose gay marriage as conservatives who support gay marriage. Or at least, that's how I interpreted it.

It's the tricky wording that is causing the confusion. Let me reword the sentence while retaining the facts:

77% of liberals support gay marriage and only 19% of conservatives support gay marriage.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
23% of liberals oppose gay marriage and 19% of conservatives support gay marriage.

77% of liberals support gay marriage and only 19% of conservatives support gay marriage.[/quote]
23% of liberals oppose gay marriage =/= 77% of liberals support gay marriage.

You're failing to account for the 'undecided/refuse to answer/don't care/other' category, who don't support OR oppose it.
77% is the maximum possible; the actual number is almost certainly a little lower.

(Not that it really changes anything... just trying to keep proper use of statistics here.)
handfleisch
ocalhoun wrote:
handfleisch wrote:
23% of liberals oppose gay marriage and 19% of conservatives support gay marriage.

You're failing to account for the 'undecided/refuse to answer/don't care/other' category, who don't support OR oppose it.
77% is the maximum possible; the actual number is almost certainly a little lower.
(Not that it really changes anything... just trying to keep proper use of statistics here.)

Ever the stickler. However that doesn't change much. From the website, the stats say:

75% of liberals say they support gay marriage, but only 19% of conservatives say they support gay marriage.