FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SD card converters

Tony The Tiger
Are there devices that will allow you to use an SD card like a thumb drive?
william
Yep, and they're cheap too. The last one I got was $1.00 and it works pretty well (maxes out the speed of my Class 4 SD card). Some SD cards come bundled them as well.

Here is one. It's just an SD card reader that interfaces through USB, but it works just like a thumb drive.
Josso
Yep, as said above... also I have a SD card that you can slot a micro SD into which is very useful as well especially for older hardware. Just checked its made by "Transcend" would recommend getting one of those as well.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Yep, and they're cheap too. The last one I got was $1.00 and it works pretty well (maxes out the speed of my Class 4 SD card). Some SD cards come bundled them as well.

Here is one. It's just an SD card reader that interfaces through USB, but it works just like a thumb drive.

That looks like what I want
menino
Wow, I just wanted to know if this really worked last week, and since the card reader was cheap as well as the micro SD 8GB card, I decided to go for it and see.
And walaa - it works well. Its a teeny weeny bit more bulkier than a flash drive, but more productive and flexible as well.
I put the micro sd into the card reader and copied some movies onto it, and then plugged it into my samsung tv, and lo - it works well, i.e. the tv read the card reader as a usb disk, and played movies from it as well.
The good thing about the micro sd 8gb card, is that it came with an SD adapter, so I can use it where SD is required like in some digital cams and some laptops as well.

My suggestion is to go for the really compact ones, thats about 2 times the size of a flash disk, and has multiple slots for card readers, like SD and MicroSD.
cbhattarai
/What all brands of convertor can i get and which one is the best?
Hexes
cbhattarai wrote:
/What all brands of convertor can i get and which one is the best?

It doesn't really matter. Those devices have very simple construction and they are very cheap. Most of them have the same functionality so there is no point to buy expensive one. Only if you are planning to buy combo with SD/MicroSD/Other then you could look for more expensive model.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:

I just ordered one for $2.49 including taxes and shipping.
menino
Thats great, "Tony the Tiger".
The good thing about the adapter, is that you can buy multiple microsd cards, and switch them with your mobile, as and when required. And also use them as a USB flash disk.... as you already know.
Tony The Tiger
menino wrote:
Thats great, "Tony the Tiger".
The good thing about the adapter, is that you can buy multiple microsd cards, and switch them with your mobile, as and when required. And also use them as a USB flash disk.... as you already know.

Yes. the purpose is to use SD cards as USB thumb drives when I am not on a machine with SD card slots. Although my primary laptop has an SD card slot, my backup does not. Many other machines that I use at times do not as well.