FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7

orlando619
hello everyone ..

I would like to share my experience about Windows 7.
Before, when I'm using Windows 7 as an Operating System (OS) of my computer,
I couldn't open some games and even applications and software in my computer.

I think that Windows 7 can't support old applications and software that are installed
in your computer. So now, I prefer to use Windows XP because it is compatible with
all applications and software that I'm using now.
tdossi
Most programs written for Windows Vista, programs may also be used with this version of Windows. Some older programs might be limited or even no longer running. If an earlier version of Windows developed for a program does not run properly, you can set the compatibility settings manually for the program or modify using the troubleshooting program compatibility.

To run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter

Open to troubleshoot program compatibility by first selecting the Start button "Start" button and then click Control Panel. In the search box, type Troubleshoot, and then click Troubleshooting. Click to run programs on programs that were developed for previous versions of Windows.

Follow the instructions for troubleshooting.

If you can not install a program, insert the installation disc for the program, and look to troubleshoot the setup file for the program, which usually is called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or a similar file names. The troubleshooting is not intended for use with programs with the file extension MSI.
_AVG_
If you ask me, most windows machines are highly inefficient and unnecessarily complicated. In particular, they lack endurance ... at least in my experience, most stop working fast, updates make no difference after a certain point and amidst this rising inefficiency, one gets irritated with the silly windows colors (anyway this is just a personal taste).
In my opinion, if Microsoft is to survive their market share being eaten further, it needs a major overhaul for its code.
IceCreamTruck
orlando619 wrote:
I think that Windows 7 can't support old applications and software that are installed
in your computer

I believe this is a wrong assumption. I use Windows 7 and it's pretty coo ... it works for my purposes.

I didn't see anyone clearly state this, but right clicking the executable file and going to properties, clicking on the compatibility tab, I do have options to run as windows vista, windows server 2008, windows 7, and probably windows xp compatibility if I install that functionality from a boot disk, but windows vista compatibility mode should cover most everything you needed. You should also run these programs as administrator. I have also had to do this with some applications, and the only thing I've found is that it's sometimes annoying to remember to go in and change these settings, but it works for what I've needed to convert, which is very little. I hope this helps in your next attempt! Smile
belltown
I was reluctant to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7 because I thought I would have a lot of compatibility issues with software I had been running under XP. However, once I made the switch my biggest regret was that I didn't switch sooner. All my software worked. The system was able to install drivers for all my hardware without any problems, and the system was a lot more stable and performed better than XP.
mukesh
Yes its correct thet some old application & games which you cant use in win 7. But mostly application and games you can run in windows 7.
Chellesei
I also went from Windows XP to Windows 7. Actually, my dad says that some applications might not work on 7. But I saw the "Windows XP Compatibility mode" on Windows' site. So I thought that it's fine. Smile When I've successfully changed my OS to 7, I've got no problems in installing the same applications I had from my XP. Very Happy It even runs those applications faster.
warnerbob18
Window 7 has better graphical user interface as compare to Window XP.
But in most of cases 7 is superior then XP as it supports most of newer apps but XP doesn't.
In case of memory usage XP is better then 7 as it took minimum space on HDD.
flamepjlh
orlando619 wrote:
hello everyone ..

I would like to share my experience about Windows 7.
Before, when I'm using Windows 7 as an Operating System (OS) of my computer,
I couldn't open some games and even applications and software in my computer.

in your computer. So now, I prefer to use Windows XP because it is compatible with
all applications and software that I'm using now.

I don't think this is a problem for daily use.                            
I'm using windows 7 64bit on another computer, no compatible problems.               
Laughing Laughing
tdossi
What programs are running on Windows 7, which are not?
Microsoft has provided an Excel list that are listed in more than 8,000 programs. Download at this address:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=2394
kmontano
I find Windows 7 runs very well. I have not had any compatibility issues to speak of. Looking forward to Windows 8.
lightwate
Quote:
I didn't see anyone clearly state this, but right clicking the executable file and going to properties, clicking on the compatibility tab, I do have options to run as windows vista, windows server 2008, windows 7, and probably windows xp compatibility if I install that functionality from a boot disk, but windows vista compatibility mode should cover most everything you needed. You should also run these programs as administrator. I have also had to do this with some applications, and the only thing I've found is that it's sometimes annoying to remember to go in and change these settings, but it works for what I've needed to convert, which is very little. I hope this helps in your next attempt!

Yeah, I also do this thing. But i set mine to windows XP sp3. From what I understand, Windows is "crappy" because of all the clutter it has accumulated over the years, trying hard to be able to still run old software. Nevertheless, Windows is still the best for me, and switching to Windows 7 is really rewarding - there's that 'fresh' feeling. And it has lots of new shortcuts and features that I always miss everytime I use a different OS

I heard that they rewrote Windows 8 from scratch! I can't wait Very Happy
chicanh
In Compatibility tab of Properties diallog of program, you check Run this program in compatibility mode for, next, in dropdown box, you choose a version of Windows XP.
saikrupa
Windows 7 is the OS with the additional features of the earlier version windows XP. It is highly compatible and highly supportable to the latest computers. The main advantage is that no need of installing the drivers externally because it is having the inbuilt drivers in the OS.
tdossi
Windows 8 is Microsoft's new operating system for tablets and desktops.

Windows 8 really only works on a tablet, and there also has its raison d'être. But for a normal computer, it is simply inappropriate.

The system tries to present a hybrid between the normal use of a PC with a mouse and a touch computer. But what it can not, because the gestures are not adapted to the mouse. That would make it in my opinion, at least a little better than now. Because trying intuitive to do things with the mouse, which are known from the touch her computer, but it does not work ...

The missing Start menu is also such a thing. That may be a matter of habit, but Microsoft would have the user should at least have the choice - as it was when moving from Windows 2000 to XP. At that time, users could decide what they wanted to have the start menu. But simply to say: No, there are none left - especially for normal PCs - is for the birds. Microsoft provides so only the "old desktop" with, this is easy to use but extremely cumbersome.

Only, when I think about enterprise use - what it costs to educate the user, so he can use the new Windows without a touchscreen. I do not think a company hergeht and equips all standard desktop computers with touch screens. Above all this does not help, because how can the user write without keyboard? Maybe on the touchscreen? I do not think that makes someone, as the touch screen is too vague and too inconvenient. Anyone who has ever written a longer story on a tablet will do that only in exceptional circumstances.
likeabreeze
belltown wrote:
The system was able to install drivers for all my hardware without any problems, and the system was a lot more stable and performed better than XP.

Perform better than XP?
Could you give some examples?
Windows7 looks very complicated to me.
there are many useless functions.
darthrevan
likeabreeze wrote:
belltown wrote:
The system was able to install drivers for all my hardware without any problems, and the system was a lot more stable and performed better than XP.

Perform better than XP?
Could you give some examples?
Windows7 looks very complicated to me.
there are many useless functions.

If you think there are many useless functions in Windows 7, I bet you will see a lot more in Windows 8 heh. I think Windows 7 is decent, though I don't use Windows at all. Now Vista, that was yucky and I don't want to touch it with a 10-foot poll. Leaves a bad taste Razz