FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Oracle better thab MySQL ??

orlando619
Can somebody tell me if Oracle is better than MySQL ??

I used to work on MySQL for the past months .
but when the time I've host my own online game server in my house,
it seems that MySQL can't monitor many accounts at a time .

And also my friend told me that he's using Oracle because it has more
dedicated commands than that of MySQL ..

so can somebody tell me the advantages and disadvantages between
Oracle and MySQL ??
badai
if you google for it and spam here the results, i'm sure it will be counted as good quality posts.
Marcuzzo
I use MySql for my websites and it is good at what it does, but I haven't used it for other projects.

We used oracle sql in school and you can do a lot with it, set up triggers, create packages with stored procedures, ect...

I'm not sure but I don't think MySQL has the same functionality as Oracle SQL.
Triggers can be created in MySQL but I don't think packages are available.

personally I prefer Oracle for business applications and MySQL for websites.
when you are working on a large database it is easier to work with Oracle as everything is grouped in a treeview on the left side of the window.

this is the one we used: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/express-edition/downloads/index.html

Keep it in mind that the installation is HUGE and that your PC will slow down a LOT when the services are running on your machine
D'Artagnan
here is a similar comparison: is a spaceshuttle better then a cessna 182? i'm pretty sure you can go to places in a spaceshuttle, but the cost...
therimalaya
For a big project where you are investing large amount of money and a powerful database is needed, the oracle is the option. In case of web content management and in some web application you can use mysql, it is free and can most of the work related to database that oracle can do.
Fire Boar
These days, there's really very little difference. Oracle is more geared towards and thus may perform better with very large deployments, it is true, but the thing that actually makes a difference is having optimized queries and sensible indices.
chicanh
Oracle is premium soft, it is best for any system setup relational database, many supporting tool , but no free.
MySql is FREE, but slower than Oracle.

I have ever worked for mobile game company, they use Mysql for database.
fastData
I enjoy working with both engines.

MySQL - is relatively light-weight, can be extremely fast when applications leverage architecture. Lots of features stay free as the database servers grow such as replication and partitioning.

Oracle offers lots of feature/functionality for solving complex problems. Supports large OLTP environments as well as VLDBs and can be very expensive.
geekbackpacker
chicanh wrote:
Oracle is premium soft, it is best for any system setup relational database, many supporting tool , but no free.
MySql is FREE, but slower than Oracle.

I have ever worked for mobile game company, they use Mysql for database.

there is free also
geekbackpacker
orlando619 wrote:
Can somebody tell me if Oracle is better than MySQL ??

I used to work on MySQL for the past months .
but when the time I've host my own online game server in my house,
it seems that MySQL can't monitor many accounts at a time .

And also my friend told me that he's using Oracle because it has more
dedicated commands than that of MySQL ..

so can somebody tell me the advantages and disadvantages between
Oracle and MySQL ??

how about NoSQL?
Marcuzzo
geekbackpacker wrote:
how about NoSQL?

I see that this is growing in popularity but I simply don't understand why one would choose for a non-relational database.
I've also read that a lot of stuff that is normally handled by the database falls onto the developer.
so, yet more problems to handle.
I love innovation but c'mon. if something isn't broken, why fix it?
Hogwarts
Marcuzzo wrote:
geekbackpacker wrote:
how about NoSQL?

I see that this is growing in popularity but I simply don't understand why one would choose for a non-relational database.

Depends on what kind of data you're trying to store.

If the rigidity of a relational database is causing you more grief than doing you good, you may be better off with a non-relational database.

However, non-relational DBs aren't a magic bullet, and the added complexity (fewer hosts supporting them, fewer libraries supporting them, smaller community using them) makes them not worthwhile unless they fit your data model better than a relational DB. Performance between the two shouldn't really be a consideration unless you're doing something wrong, at least at the average Frihoster's level.
codersfriend
I think it depends on how it is used. oracle is best for large scale databases
codersfriend
Also Mysql is also owned by oracle so perhaps some of its features are almost similar
Peterssidan
codersfriend wrote:
Also Mysql is also owned by oracle so perhaps some of its features are almost similar

MySQL is now owned by Oracle but it was not they who originally created it. Both Oracle and MySQL are SQL databases which means the basic syntax and functionality are the same but each database software has its own extensions on top of that.

I prefer MySQL because it's open-source.