FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 8 Logo

cybersa
Now only i saw the new Windows 8 logo.
I don't like it because it is very simple.
What you think about?
You can see it here:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/250273/new_windows_8_logo_is_pure_genius.html
90dota
what is this ? Shocked
cybersa
New Windows 8 Logo.
Recently published by Microsoft.
Aredon
It's also basically the old windows 1 logo:

Not really sure how I feel about them making it retro to be honest. Seems to me that the graphic designer just got really lazy. I could have made this myself, and I'm a programmer. Laughing
Ghost Rider103
Aredon wrote:
It's also basically the old windows 1 logo:

Not really sure how I feel about them making it retro to be honest. Seems to me that the graphic designer just got really lazy. I could have made this myself, and I'm a programmer. Laughing

I can assure you the graphic designer(s) made way more than one mock up of a logo.

Big companies spend thousands if not millions on a simple logo design. They don't spend a million on one logo, however they make an entire campaign out of finding one perfect logo. They will usually hire more than one designer and each designer will carry out way more than one design. In some cases, I've heard of 100+ designers being hired to knock out close to a thousand different mock-ups if not more.

Though I do agree the logo is very simple, but what big corporate company logo isn't simple? Simplicity is key to branding, something a lot of amateur designers/CEO's fail to understand.

Here's a very good example of both pricing of the logo and how almost all logos eventually become simplified, because wild/crazy/busy logos will always fail: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-42740110/pepsis-new-1-million-logo-looks-like-old-diet-pepsi-logo/
Cal_123
Just look at Apple. Their logo design, for the most part, is simply a black or white apple sitting on some monoform background. It's never held them back.
coolclay
Just like the article posted said, it doesn't matter what the logo is. If we are talking about they logo, they have succeeded. If it had been a rainbow colored window (original Apple logo anyone) , it would have received too much negative attention, but you can only be so negative about a simple 2 tone window. My guess is that they are just trying to emulate Apple's switch to a 2 tone logo, just like so much of Vista and 7 were ripped right out of the Apple playbook!

Yea, some of the features of Win 7 are nice, but cut out the make it look pretty crap, I just want it to work, and work fast!
Radar
coolclay wrote:
Jit doesn't matter what the logo is. If we are talking about they logo, they have succeeded.

Yeah, I think that's generally how advertising works these days. Be controversial enough to get noticed but not enough to get people actively railing against you.
IceCreamTruck
simple FTW!
chartcentral
It's a nice move from Microsoft. It maybe very simple and back-to-basic, but the logo looks neat to me. Hoping this also translates to a cool and pleasing experience to Windows 8 users. Smile
Ghost Rider103
coolclay wrote:
If it had been a rainbow colored window (original Apple logo anyone) , it would have received too much negative attention

Not necessarily... You can get away with a simple logo that uses all the colors of the rainbow, without the logo being bashed too much.

Just take a look at Google. I personally think their logo is absolutely terrible from a design stand point. However from a normal persons (non-designer) perspective, it's obviously worked out extremely well. It's a lot tougher, but isn't impossible.

There are also many other small time companies that use a rainbow colored logo that are extremely nice. Vividways, Zone Trader & Nosotros are some. Not that you've heard of them, but they all have a wide variety of colors in the logo and they are still sexy looking logos.
mukesh
this is windows 8 logo???
menino
As per Aredon, the logo does look like the first logo of Windows, with a more simpler 3-d look.
Maybe they could have made it better, and I would suggest to make a logo with 8 windows, instead of 4 in the current one, so that it also represents the number 8, like the version number it denotes.
Still, I don't think its genius. Its just a logo.

I love Apple's logo - plain and simple... and it kind of says "Take a bite out of the apple!"

Windows could have done more with its logo to put a message like "See more through Windows!" .... or something similar.
mukesh
I have no any copy of windows 8 operating system so i have no more idea about it but this "cybersa link" is so old i think this is not a real windows 8 os logo.
ankur209
To be me , I din't like the Logo.

I mean on seeing it I don't feel like I'm seeing Windows 8.Its so plain and simple. Crying or Very sad
alvarorojas4
I don't like it... It's Ugly :l
jmraker
Since the article mentions McDonalds as an example, I wonder what they would say if McDonalds "simplified" their logo to just a blue m? Would they say the same things about how it's better and getting them publicity?

Microsoft has a long history of changing logos and names of many of it's products, like hotmail
http://www.logoreviews.org/windows-8-logo-design
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/01/06/a-short-history-of-hotmail.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=c20kQzdVEcA
eclipious
I don't care for the logo to be honest, I love the current windows 7 logo as it was simplified enough I feel. I will always remember Windows logo with its 4 colored paned window. I love simplicity and minimalism, it makes life less complicated and hectic but I have to be honest, I always saw Windows as a corporate type with some flash of color but still elegant and easily recognizable. Sure we can recognize this one but it has the wrong flare of simplicity I think.
tidruG
Microsoft seems to match its logo to the default theme. Vista's logo, for example, matched the slightly darkish colour of the default theme. Windows 7's logo was a shade lighter, simpler than Vista's and a nice, calming 3D effect, similar to the menus (and more importantly, the start menu bar) of Windows 7. So, if the logo of Windows 8 is light blue, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of that simpler blue colour in the OS itself. (At this point, apologies if I've been living under a rock and not seen if there are any previews of Windows 8 OS online.)

As for the logo itself, it feels to me like it's a little too simple. The article in the first post was interesting in its assumption that the logo succeeds because it's got everyone talking about it. But my point is that Windows is still used by 90% (more or less) of people worldwide. The launch of a new Windows OS is not a big event in computing. The logo should not be a talking point, and more importantly, it should not create negative feeling towards the product. Windows builds publicity by being Windows. The goal of the logo should be to create more excitement.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Windows_8_Logo.svg[/img]

And finally, this logo to me looks a little too retro, a little anachronistic. Even simple logos these days have a bit of flair, a bit of 3D. They look like they're not quite something you could whip up using MS Paint or something (with possibly Google being an exception...but even Google at least has a shadow effect on the text).

Or, logos have a bit of colour. That dull blue just seems so dead to me. Apple, in comparison, may have simple colours, but it's got a slick 3D effect going for it.
inuyasha
Neither do I. Sad Its style is quite suitable for tablets but not for desktops and laptops, I think. The simplicity makes me doubt whether it's well designed or not. Wink
Ghost Rider103
tidruG wrote:
Microsoft seems to match its logo to the default theme. Vista's logo, for example, matched the slightly darkish colour of the default theme. Windows 7's logo was a shade lighter, simpler than Vista's and a nice, calming 3D effect, similar to the menus (and more importantly, the start menu bar) of Windows 7. So, if the logo of Windows 8 is light blue, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of that simpler blue colour in the OS itself. (At this point, apologies if I've been living under a rock and not seen if there are any previews of Windows 8 OS online.)

As for the logo itself, it feels to me like it's a little too simple. The article in the first post was interesting in its assumption that the logo succeeds because it's got everyone talking about it. But my point is that Windows is still used by 90% (more or less) of people worldwide. The launch of a new Windows OS is not a big event in computing. The logo should not be a talking point, and more importantly, it should not create negative feeling towards the product. Windows builds publicity by being Windows. The goal of the logo should be to create more excitement.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Windows_8_Logo.svg[/img]

And finally, this logo to me looks a little too retro, a little anachronistic. Even simple logos these days have a bit of flair, a bit of 3D. They look like they're not quite something you could whip up using MS Paint or something (with possibly Google being an exception...but even Google at least has a shadow effect on the text).

Or, logos have a bit of colour. That dull blue just seems so dead to me. Apple, in comparison, may have simple colours, but it's got a slick 3D effect going for it.

I'm sure this Windows 8 logo will be changed fairly quickly.

The first big patch update for Windows 8 will probably include a new logo design. Laughing

But I'd be willing to bet that this logo will grow on you. I've seen many cases of this, mainly with cars. Something new comes out, people aren't used to it so they are unsure. Once they see it enough, they grow to be somewhat fond of it and will learn to like it.

As for the shadow on Google's logo... that is one of the worst design elements of the logo. If you go to a design class, one of the big "no no's" of logo design is the horrid "Drop Shadow" effect. It's one of the largest amateur effects that is constantly overused. You'd have to be looking at the logo from a designer perspective.

Ok, I'll shut up before I go on and on. Razz
_AVG_
I don't like the new Windows 8 logo the old one was much more colorful. In comparison, the new one seems rather dull (I especially do not like the shade of blue used!). Then again, it will make a difference what the logo background is (for instance, the Apple logo looks great but only on certain backgrounds ...)
Aredon
I would have definitely preferred some more color depth. The simple design is fine I guess (still don't care for it), but even a blue gradient would improve how flat it looks.
lelly77
It`s very easy to use windows 8 , it`s awesome Very Happy
90dota
it's every pc can use windows 8?
Alexduke
I'm thinking about installing windows 8 on my i7 macbook pro... how is it for games?
I want to play fallout new vegas and counter strike mostly... any experience with those?
futurcat
I like the logo, but still didn't allocate time to test win8.
ilovemedia
A good concept that is badly executed. It will surely take some getting used to.
biboopro
it's simple and beautiful.
I like Windows 8 but i removed it yesterday because it have some problem.
Waiting for the final vesion Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Q5U8
Oh, God!

Quad-BSOD!

Let's migrate to MacOS, Linux or Android!

Heeeelp!
Aredon
Q5U8 wrote:
Oh, God!

Quad-BSOD!

Let's migrate to MacOS, Linux or Android!

Heeeelp!

I don't really think the logo is a reflection of the code inside the operating system. Beyond that even if it does suck, I don't see why I would migrate from windows 7 to any of those operating systems you listed. I'm perfectly content with webOS/android on my tablet, and Windows 7 on my desktop.

You also act as though none of those operating systems have error screens. Very Happy
Gregoric
Today every new design in so well known and widely used products is getting simplified - do the developers want to tell us that we are getting more stupid and our brain is too lazy to look at complicated designs? Well, probably yes, but that's not the topic.

Even if they wanted make the new logo look simple, the move didn't have to be so radical.

I don't like droping shadows everywhere, as Ghost Rider103 said - it almost never makes the logo better. So - let's remove all the shadows and lights from Windows 7 icon, use right shades of the characteristic 4 colors and that's it - simple but still Windows.

IMO, now the logo looks like that's really some company selling windows. Here, in Poland we have one with similar symbol, but with borders filled not the inside parts.

Probably people who care about design or who want their system to look perfectly as they want to, will find some way to change the logo to some of previous variants'. Just like was with installing removed start menu back to the W8.
subhan1
I like it in a way that it represents the new era of Microsoft's Window Smile
The tiles !