FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Netflix vs. Blockbuster

Tony The Tiger
Does blockbuster get videos before Netflix in general or is it just a few selected distribution agreements for specific films. Does Netflix ever have such agreements that they get a film before Blockbuster. What is the general rule on what types of films Netflix makes available on a through its streaming service? Is it particular studios, particular distributors or a bunch of one-off arrangements?
IceCreamTruck
I just got Despicable Me used at BlockBuster for 4 dollars. Even the lady behind the counter was surprised to see the price marked so low, but I guess I ultimately win because that was the price marked on the item. It was used, but 4 dollars is really low for a new release. Netflicks does not have this movie yet, and it doesn't have wall-e yet either. You can rent Wall-e on xbox live, but who wants to just rent an epic movie... I want them to watch over and over. For this reason I think a netflicks account is well worth it because of all the classic titles available to watch. Personally I like the TV series available online via NetFlix, and Hulu. My recent score a BlockBuster comes after not having been there for quite some time.
weableandbob
I believe that Netflix has to have a waiting period before they can ship out new movies, so Blockbuster has it beat in that regard. Similarly, I believe Netflix rotates what can be streamed, although I'm not sure on that. However, Blockbuster isn't doing so well business wise, so it might not be an option for too long.
eclipious
Blockbuster usually has releases on hard copy earlier than any online distributor but really they are going out of business because people enjoy the online streaming Sad So sad. I used to love going to Blockbuster! The memories of browsing the stores were a nice little trip on Friday nights to find movies. Now my family just goes to a nearby redbox location to get $1 rentals but even those have a small selection of new releases as in (dvd just released new releases).
Tony The Tiger
weableandbob wrote:
I believe that Netflix has to have a waiting period before they can ship out new movies, so Blockbuster has it beat in that regard. Similarly, I believe Netflix rotates what can be streamed, although I'm not sure on that. However, Blockbuster isn't doing so well business wise, so it might not be an option for too long.

Why does Netflix have to have a waiting period before they are allowed to deliver new movies?
IceCreamTruck
Tony The Tiger wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

Why does Netflix have to have a waiting period before they are allowed to deliver new movies?

Netflix can't stream what they still plan on making money off of in the movie theater, or on DVD sales, so an adjustment is made to prevent them loosing money.
Tony The Tiger
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

Netflix can't stream what they still plan on making money off of in the movie theater, or on DVD sales, so an adjustment is made to prevent them loosing money.

That explains why they can not stream things immediately, but it does not explain why there is a waiting period for DVDs.
cbhattarai
I think it has been launched now..
Tony The Tiger
cbhattarai wrote:
I think it has been launched now..

What are you talking about?