FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Want to visit Switzerland, any tips?

Dementei
Yo so around this September I would like to visit Switzerland for a couple weeks or so, any tips or suggestions for this trip? Like any specific tips when in Switzerland too would help. The best roundtrip price I could find is $1,162 that is from Cleveland to Geneva, Switz and one stop to Washington DC in between. Also excluding the price of airplane tickets and frees, how much money should I bring for the 2 weeks stay? I am staying at friends house too.

If you have ever traveled there let me know your experiences and such, so I know what to generally expect. Thanks.
bukaida
you must go to mount Titlis. It's amazing. My parents were there last year for 3days during their Europe tour. I have seen the pictures and talked with them. In their opinion, it is the best place in Europe and one of the best in the world ( They have visited Asia, Europe, Australia and Africa before that). Most of the travel within Switzerland is by luxury bus and trains. However the place is a bit costly compared to the rest of the Europe.
Dementei
Oh nice man, that is about 3 and a half hours away from Geneva though so maybe.. not sure if they would like to travel that far I'm sure the bus/train tickets are pretty pricey too, but it does look magical..

bukaida
If you say about journey, then going through that fantastic environment for 3 and half hours in a luxury bus will be nothing. But if you think about price... IMHO, well it worth paying that extra for Titlis.

The two pictures from Dad's Album

The_unnamed_label
If you want to cross the border, 35 mins driving away from Geneva you can visit the beautiful town of Annecy...

Dementei
Whoaaaa Titlis and Annecy both look very awesome to visit. Thanks for sharing me these, it gives me a good idea of where to visit when I get to Geneva. Bukaida, you got an estimate of how much it would cost to take a bus there to Titlis and back in USD? I think I definitely will go to Annecy though since it is much closer.

So besides like travelling around the area, any other tips?
bukaida
My parents have gone through travel agents, so they are not sure about the charges. However it was in euro. Moreover, the buses are more comfortable and cheaper than cars plus you will get a guide. I think swiss goverment has a bus service which is cheaper than the private ones. Must ride the ropeway to have a complete view of Titlis.

And collect the suvenior--Swiss chocolate, Watch, and Knife. Wink
menino
Everyone I know who has been to Swizerland have told me that it is beautiful.
One person said that the air is so fresh there, he felt better there than at home.

I want to go there someday.
Dementei
Ah I see, so when I get there I should convert my measly USD to euro currency as in CHF (Swiss franc?) that is if I want to buy anything or could I just use my American debit card? And I am not sure if I will be able to go to Titlis, if I had an estimate of cost then maybe. Haha are travel agents expensive?

On a side note, I have never been overseas or on an airplane and have lived in Ohio my whole life. Coming from a small town what can I expect in a place like Geneva?

And I definitely will collect those souvenirs.
bukaida
I spoke with my father and it took approximately INR 15000 (US$ 300/= approx) per head for Titlis. You should have no problem with US$ anywhere in the world as it is the most widely accepted currency. Since you are traveling by air for the first time, so keep atleast 6-8 hours gap between your arrival and the first sight seeing. You will feel a bit sleepy and tired after getting down from the plane due to Jet-lag. So take some rest before going out.

BTW, do share the pics with us after the visit. Very Happy
Dementei
I see, aha thanks Bukaida I will be sure to take many pics Smile And $300 is not much to go for once in a lifetime opportunity to see Titlis, thanks for the information bro.
The_unnamed_label
Dementei wrote:
Whoaaaa Titlis and Annecy both look very awesome to visit. Thanks for sharing me these, it gives me a good idea of where to visit when I get to Geneva. Bukaida, you got an estimate of how much it would cost to take a bus there to Titlis and back in USD? I think I definitely will go to Annecy though since it is much closer.

So besides like travelling around the area, any other tips?

You'll love Annecy I'm sure..
it's beautiful....

Tips... try local food!!!! anything based on cheese is simply gorgeous!
Dementei
Oh cool, yea I talked to my friend who I am meeting in Switz and she said it was just like really small and boring place haha. She think's it is all boring around there which is funny, because it would be an adventure for me. But I will try a lot of their foods for sure.

Also this brings me to an unrelated question.. I have a cell phone and I could get international calling on it, if I do that and I went to Switz would it work with their towers? Or should I just get a prepaid phone while I'm there?
bukaida
International roaming cost is too high till date. You can use the calling facility like Matrix http://matrix-worldwide.com/.
CCCorp
Churrasco Steakhouse & Bar Restaurant

Glockengasse 9, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland

Have really delicious steaks!

http://www.mytable.com/en/restaurant/document/cfb53b24-1e8c-44e0-a18e-c02fb22086f4
deanhills
I liked Zurich quite a bit from a shopping point of view, more like window shopping as things are enormously expensive, but one finds all of the latest technology show cased there. I was particularly taken with their technology for reading glasses. So maybe you could get measured up there if you need some.

I went completely unplanned to Switzerland, and spent some time with one of those customer service offices at the central Bahnhof (train station), and there are so many good deals for travelling with plenty of literature. I eventually did two bus trips. One was to the mountains and one to Lake Geneva. Both were pretty amazing. I remember I had some coffee in one of the many bakery/coffee shops in Geneva and had the best Napoleon I'd had in ages. The bus trips are to be recommended and easily accessible adjacent to the central Bahnhof in Zurich.
TheLimey
Nicest Country I have ever been to, I have been to quite a few countries in Europe Switzerland was gorgeous though.

I been to France, England, Wales, Spain, Holland, Germany and Switzerland wins.. however, I would live in Spain GREAT COUNTRY
swissmasala
you should also visit "Isole di Brissago" in Ticino

http://www.isolebrissago.ch/en/
fuzzkaizer
I can recommend nearly all the southern area of Switzerland, where it shares the border with Italy, especially Ticino, as a very privileged geografic place. really nice mountainside and a better climate than the north rim of the alps.
Dementei
Would $3,500 to $4,000 be enough for a trip to Switzerland and back? I won't have to pay for food or housing either. Anyone please let me know so I can work out my expenses, thanks. I plan to leave in September still.
deanhills
Dementei wrote:
Would $3,500 to $4,000 be enough for a trip to Switzerland and back? I won't have to pay for food or housing either. Anyone please let me know so I can work out my expenses, thanks. I plan to leave in September still.
Should cover it with some to spare. Travel is relatively low cost as one could get some budget train passes at the Central Train Stations.
Dementei
I see, thanks, and out of curiosity what would the minimum be? Like the absolute minimum.
deanhills
Dementei wrote:
I see, thanks, and out of curiosity what would the minimum be? Like the absolute minimum.
Difficult to say. You'd probably be the only one to work that out as it would depend how low budget you're willing to travel. I found this discussion that may be helpful for you.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2020410
Dementei
I see, I read through it, and apparently $60 a day would not cut it if had to pay for food and housing. But I think that knowing I will have food, housing, and free travel (maybe), I should be okay for sure with that amount then. Now the matter is how long will I last with that haha, maybe I can find some work or something. Thanks.
benjietimogan
very nice place
gheba
A visit to Ticino (southern, italian speaking part) is always good. Specially in summer Cool
gheba
Dementei wrote:

For two weeks? 1500$ should cover it (absolute minimum) Smile
bukaida
gheba wrote:
Dementei wrote:

For two weeks? 1500$ should cover it (absolute minimum) Smile

Depends on what and how much comfort (or discomfort) you allow. I will suggest to have a PG accommodation ( if possible), instead of staying at hotels. try to avoid big towns for night stay. Make one or two central spot based on which your tour may be programmed. Search for the asian homes--(people from Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka ) with family and ask them if they are interested to provide PG. If you are lucky enough to get one, your tour cost will come down drastically.
danielhuerta
best places in Switzerland are clearly on the mountains, where you can find cottages and atmoshpere you are looking for.

Main cities of Swit are nice, since most of them on the lakes, but very expensive and at the end not that original)

To move in Switz, you can use easily the train, and actually, the view is much better that travelling by car.

Regarding the destination, i would advise on 2-3 different destination, good both in winter (you can ski) or in summer (trekking in the mountains and lot of other open air activity)

- Chamonix on mouint blanc (100 km from Geneve, very conveniet). on the italian side of mount blanc, you have Coumayeur (prices in italy are 20-30% cheaper, and you have a wonderful train connecting the 2 destination)
ryanhollmans
Switzerland is famous and popular place for travel in all over the world. I personally like the switzerland which is known as a heaven of the world. the weather of this place is so romantic, cool and enjoyable. There are many sight seeing places in switzerland to visit.