FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama, Santorum and Gay Rights

handfleisch
In light of these recent comments in this forum about gay rights, Pres. Obama and Republican Rick Santorum, I am starting this thread to lay out the facts. Feel free to comment.

catscratches wrote:
Yes, Obama is a bigot.

jmi256 wrote:
you see those in this thread who want to attack Santorum for opposing gay marriage, while refusing to even discuss the fact that Obama also opposes gay marriage. Obama simply gets a pass because the hypocrites on the Left are not honest enough to even admit that is his stance.

While on the subject of gay marriage Obama and Santorum are technically in agreement, on gay rights they are very, very different. Santorum is an anti-gay idealogue, while Obama has done a lot of progressive measures for gay rights.

Santorum is on record supporting laws against adultery (which still exist in some states) and saying he wants more laws like this and for other consenting acts between adults. He also called Obama's repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell "tragic".

Obama, on the other hand, has gotten rid of "Don't ask, don't tell" in the military, expanded hate-crime laws to include sexual preference, created visitation rights for gay couples in all hospitals which receive federal funds, done a lot of public relations on the subject of gay youth bullying, sponsored a study of housing discrimination against gays, prohibited discrimination against gays in federal hiring, led UN efforts to fight violence against gays worldwide and is fighting the regressive "Defense of Marriage Act", just to name a few. This administration is very active in communicating with the gay rights community.

Obviously, Santorum would not do any of these things and would probably try to overturn many of them if he could.

There has been media coverage of Obama's stance on gay marriage and gay marriage proponents complain that Obama is conservative on this issue. Here is a liberal news site's article about some major TV coverage critical of Obama for this stance on gay marriage:
Quote:
Anderson Cooper Calls Out Obama's Gay Marriage Flip Flopping (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/anderson-cooper-obama-gay-marriage_n_882075.html
catscratches
handfleisch wrote:

While on the subject of gay marriage Obama and Santorum are technically in agreement
I wouldn't say they are. On a personal level, they both oppose it, but for different reasons (albeit both have stupid reasons). As far as I can see, Obama does not have an issue with homosexuality itself whereas Santorum does. As such, Santorum's opposition to same-sex marriage doesn't just come from "marriage should be between a man and a woman"-bullshit but also from a fundamental opposition against homosexuality, regardless of its specific form.

Furthermore, I can't find any occassion in which Obama voted against same-sex marriage, though I could of course be mistaken. Santorum, on the other hand, has a track record of voting against same-sex marriage and he has voted for a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage (twice).
handfleisch
catscratches wrote:
handfleisch wrote:

While on the subject of gay marriage Obama and Santorum are technically in agreement
I wouldn't say they are. On a personal level, they both oppose it, but for different reasons (albeit both have stupid reasons). As far as I can see, Obama does not have an issue with homosexuality itself whereas Santorum does. As such, Santorum's opposition to same-sex marriage doesn't just come from "marriage should be between a man and a woman"-bullshit but also from a fundamental opposition against homosexuality, regardless of its specific form.

Furthermore, I can't find any occassion in which Obama voted against same-sex marriage, though I could of course be mistaken. Santorum, on the other hand, has a track record of voting against same-sex marriage and he has voted for a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage (twice).

I agree, when I say they have the same policy "technically", I mean they hold the same position, but for different reasons and in different contexts. In Obama's case, the context is rather strong pro-gay rights.