FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Cat Breed?

Goddess
Usually folks talk about dog breeds but not about cat breeds. So now it is your chance to tell your opinion. What is your favorite cat breed an why?

I have had several domestic/barn cats in my life. you know the ones that live in the stable or similar place and their job is to catch mice. In Finland we call them "navettakissa" which refers to a cowshed.

Last year I got my first pedigree cat, a bengal. She is very active and loves to talk and play with water. She have even taught my older non-pedigree cat to love water. So bengal is my choice of cat breed.

How about you folks?
deanhills
I by accident met a Burmese cat that came from a cross pedigreed Siamese and Burmese. I'm not a cat expert at all but have had cats in my life time and this one had a completely different personality. What impressed me most was total absence of meowing. Or even bristling. However almost instantly purred when tickled under the chin. That is as far as vocal goes - very soft purring. I was completely unknown to the kitten, but it responded to me only positively. Do you know which pedigrees would be similar - i.e. where cats don't meow, or is this more of a personality thing? Her brother, who looks more Siamese than Burmese is apparently the same. Never meow. Both of them are non-vocal.
standready
My best cat came from the barn but looked like a seal point Siamese. Had the best personality. Friends of mine have Russian Blues. One has a great personality, the other is a wreck.
Goddess
If you don't want a "talking" cat, then burmese could be a good choice. As far as I know. A bengal loves to talk and needs a lot of company and activity. Maybe a norwegian forestcat would be a good choice too.

I'm not a pedigree cat expert. This bengal cat is my first of a kind. Have you tried to google not meowing cat breeds?
deanhills
Goddess wrote:
Have you tried to google not meowing cat breeds?
Absolutely. But could not find anything. Only found one factoid, which sounds pretty common sense to me. If one is attentive with one's cat to the extent that it feels safe and secure, it won't meow as much. Although I believe some do like to "talk".
Goddess
I wouldn't believe a half a word about that kind of "fact" No offense. Smile

Cat breeds have as much difference as dog breeds. Some of them are social and talkactive (for example bengal) some of them more reserved (for example aby) and everything in between. Some of them like to be close to their human companions and others just don't care.

For example my barn cat (a turtle female) has always been very reserved and doesn't like to be in my lap. Unless she herself decides that is time to get some cuddling. It lasts around 10 minutes per day and thats it. On the other hand, my bengal cat loves to sit on my shoulder, she talks with dozen different meouws, which all have a different meaning. And she loves to play. Carries a ball around the house and loves hide an seek-games. Both of them are loved though their mindsets are so different.
alangrylls55
My favorite favorite cat is savannah they are best according to me
deanhills
alangrylls55 wrote:
My favorite favorite cat is savannah they are best according to me
What is it about the Savannah that makes you like it so much?
rogue_skydragon
Would you say that there are more cat breeds than there are dog breeds?
Goddess
Good guestion. I have never tought about that. Am I wrong if I say that breeding pedigree cats has a shorter history than breeding pedigree dogs? Does anyone have better knowledge about this?
Chellesei
My favorite cat breed is the Persian cat. Smile
I just love their round face and fluffy furs. Laughing I really think they're cute.
I like cats that are serene but at the same time, affectionate. Persian cats seem to really like being close to others. They love sitting on a person's lap and they can also get along well with children and some other pets.

They're quite similar to Himalayan cats but I still prefer Persian cats.
Well, I know they need a lot of hair care but with that, I can build a stronger bond with them. Very Happy
laurensk
Although there are many cat breeds http://www.petsworld.in/blog/list-of-cat-breeds-with-pictures.html present in this world as listed by Pets World but my favorite is Scottish Fold. I like its soft and fluffy coat and the grey color. The golden eyes makes it look attractive and royal.
dude_xyx
Bengal cat are so beautiful. I think that's my favorite. Funniest looking cat breed is one called Scottish fold or something. They looks fat and so funny. Creepiest cat breed is Sphynx. They look like they were skinned alive or something. Those Bobtail cats and Meezer cats look cute too.
standready
Staying with domesticated, I might say 'Russian Blue'
tonberry
I double the Russian Blue! I don't like domestic cats (I'm a dog person all the way), but when I have seen the Russian Blue for the first time, wow it was so beautiful! The owner had been taking great care of him too, so his slightly shiny uniform fur even heightened its beautiful color. If that cat would show up at my doorstep and ask me if I'd take care of him, I'd have to forget that I prefer dogs and take care of this ungrateful little animal Wink
chormar
Breed Sphynx cats are the best because of it will not be allergic to cat hair.
They are very beautiful cats?
tonberry
Tiger, you just can't mess with the tiger Very Happy
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
I by accident met a Burmese cat that came from a cross pedigreed Siamese and Burmese. I'm not a cat expert at all but have had cats in my life time and this one had a completely different personality. What impressed me most was total absence of meowing. Or even bristling. However almost instantly purred when tickled under the chin. That is as far as vocal goes - very soft purring. I was completely unknown to the kitten, but it responded to me only positively. Do you know which pedigrees would be similar - i.e. where cats don't meow, or is this more of a personality thing? Her brother, who looks more Siamese than Burmese is apparently the same. Never meow. Both of them are non-vocal.

My parents used to have a Burmese. They are more silent than Siamese, but as far as I know, every cat meows. They should. It used to be mating behavior, but modern house cats use it to get our attention and quarrel with other cats. When I was a child, I seriously believed cats talk.

Quote:
Best Cat Breed?

I prefer a Garfield-lookalike, red cat. Brisle when I caress it. But not so lazy as Garfield. My cat should chase mice and bring them in, so that I can trash it in time, to prevent the smell.

Of course, the best mouse will outrun my Garfield..

IHMO the term "best" is bogus with animals. Every cat is different, whatever breed. Or no breed, like most cats. It depends what house you live in and what you expect of your pet. e.g. a lot of cats like to live outdoors. If you live in an apartment 6th floor, consider a cat that behaves like a small inhouse doggie, like a Burmese..
Beds
Sphinxes are my favourite types of cats. I prefer cats over to dogs. I'm a cat person. I will most likely buy a dozen cats in the near future. Honest truth. Sphynx cats are just really adorable and despite their wild behaviour, I bet they are actually good cats.