FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bomb buttons

adamlimey
A "bomb" button with a number on it that increases every time it's hit. When it hits 10 then it blows up and deletes a post no one likes. The clicks must come from different ip addresses so it will be hard to program.
sonam
adamlimey wrote:
A "bomb" button with a number on it that increases every time it's hit. When it hits 10 then it blows up and deletes a post no one likes. The clicks must come from different ip addresses so it will be hard to program.

I don't like this idea. Voting of ten members is too little number compared with all members on frihost (near 90 000). I can imagine scenario where group of ten SAME members always vote to delete posts from same member because they don't like them.

I like this independent scenario on frihost where I can say what I mean (of course if I don't break forum rules) and don't worry if ten people like it or don't like it. This is his/her own feelings but not feelings of all members here.

Sonam
ocalhoun
A similar idea, but a bit more palatable:

If three* or more users report the same post, the post turns invisible until a moderator deals with the reports on it.
At that point, the moderator can permanently remove it, or undo the hiding and put it back where it should be, (or edit it, then put it back) whichever needs to be done.
(In addition to being reversible, and better monitored, and better integrated with the existing system... it would also limit the possibility of abuse, because moderators will be able to see who's doing the reporting. If the same group of users keeps on making false positive reports for the same (apparently biased) reasons, the abusers would be obvious and could be dealt with.)

Would take quite a bit of coding though.

*The exact number could be different, I just use it because it's rare for one post to get three reports, and when that happens it's usually because that post is really obvious and annoying spam.
Only two might even be a better choice, though set that low, I do think it opens it up to a possibility of false positives.
Four would probably be too high, since it's extremely rare for a single post to be reported four times... which means the system wouldn't be used much at all.
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:
A similar idea, but a bit more palatable:

If three* or more users report the same post, the post turns invisible until a moderator deals with the reports on it.
At that point, the moderator can permanently remove it, or undo the hiding and put it back where it should be, (or edit it, then put it back) whichever needs to be done.
(In addition to being reversible, and better monitored, and better integrated with the existing system... it would also limit the possibility of abuse, because moderators will be able to see who's doing the reporting. If the same group of users keeps on making false positive reports for the same (apparently biased) reasons, the abusers would be obvious and could be dealt with.)

Would take quite a bit of coding though.

*The exact number could be different, I just use it because it's rare for one post to get three reports, and when that happens it's usually because that post is really obvious and annoying spam.
Only two might even be a better choice, though set that low, I do think it opens it up to a possibility of false positives.
Four would probably be too high, since it's extremely rare for a single post to be reported four times... which means the system wouldn't be used much at all.

This is little bit better solution but with forum "Report this post" and "Report this user" system one more button is unnecessary and more work for codding and moderators. Confused

I think the ignorance of annoying posts are the best way to keep me away from fighting or unwanted discussions. If I think the forum rules are not followed I always can click on report button and moderators can accept my report or not.

Sonam