FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

rise in gas prices is a reason to buy locally

boinsterman
Elevated gasoline prices is a reason to buy locally. The cost of transportation is added to the cost of goods we buy. For example, most of you are likely aware that gasoline in Italy costs about $28/gallon, as of about three years ago, and is likely higher now. (some serious price-gouging there, I bet) Here in America the price is approaching $4/gallon--the price at which I am told we would likely switch entirely to alternate energy here.
ocalhoun
boinsterman wrote:
Here in America the price is approaching $4/gallon--the price at which I am told we would likely switch entirely to alternate energy here.

Has the high price in Italy moved them to use alternate energy?
ujjwalshrestha
How in America gas price managed to stay at $4/gal... is it because it's getting government subsidy?
boinsterman
I don't know. Anecdotal evidence suggests alternative energy technology in America has been suppressed--on behalf of the oil companies or otherwise--so I wouldn't be surprised it happens in Italy (where law enforcement can supposedly be pretty heavy-handed).

For example, I know a man who claims he and his friends tried to patent a hydraulic car, but that they did not get the patent because the major car companies control the patent process. (and by implication the major oil companies as well) If a patent does not exist however, no one can prevent you from selling the plans for it. I have seen mail-order ads for plans for a hydraulic piston (about $10-$20) in the classifieds pages of magazines like "Backwoods Home" and "Mother Earth News".

Most people who track such things are probably aware of a recall of entirely solar-powered cars built by a major car manufacturer (I believe Geo), mostly sold in California. At least one fairly well-known actor still has his, and says he loves it. I believe the article I saw was in an issue of Mother Earth News. Apparently, no reason was given for the recall that the author or his sources seem to believe.

Converting an existing car to solar power would supposedly cost about $28,000 if you do it yourself and already have the necessary skills. This is according to ads I have seen online for relevant books.

I don't know enough about government subsidies to comment on that.
ocalhoun
ujjwalshrestha wrote:
How in America gas price managed to stay at $4/gal... is it because it's getting government subsidy?

Four reasons:

1: US government subsidies to oil companies.
2: (Due to high demand) very well-established supply lines - makes for cheaper transport and processing.
3: Most of it is bought more locally than most people would guess; the US gets most of its oil from domestic, Mexican, and Canadian sources.
4: US foreign policy (at least in part) geared toward keeping oil cheap (especially for the US).

*edit*
Got rid of a pesky grammatically incorrect apostrophe.
(Can't believe I did that!)
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
ujjwalshrestha wrote:

Four reasons:

1: US government subsidies to oil companies.
2: (Due to high demand) very well-established supply lines - makes for cheaper transport and processing.
3: Most of it is bought more locally than most people would guess; the US gets most of it's oil from domestic, Mexican, and Canadian sources.
4: US foreign policy (at least in part) geared toward keeping oil cheap (especially for the US).

Also, I don't think the US government has as high tax rate at the pump that other countries do.
jaykresline
It has been done because as per passing time fuel pricing is going on high price, so all kind of transportation cost are going high, it is effecting to all kind of business, when all prices are going high than it is obvious that gas price will be go on high also, it is effecting to foods price also, this is very critical problem, this is very major problem so all government have to think about this.
busaboss
The situation is the same in our country. The prices really gone extremely bad. I hope that it will be recovering soon because more and more people suffer everyday.
Iceaxe0410
Due to the rise in gas prices, I find myself walking and riding my bike whenever I can. It's amazing how just a few years ago gas prices here were three times less than they were now. I even remember when it was around $1.299/gal. That seems like ages ago, but in reality it was about 15 years ago. Who knows maybe the gas prices will help reduce the obesity problem in the long run by forcing more people to walk locally or take up riding their bike. It's unlikely, but I would like to think I'm actually more fit now than I was when I drove my car everywhere. Very Happy
menino
lol iceraxe0401, I also don't have my own car at the moment, and usually use public transport and my legs to get around most places.
Only sometimes my friends pick me up to go places and stuff.
But its more healthier than having your own car, and also economical.
In India, gas prices are also very high, so most people opt for scooters, which have good mileage and public transport. But the traffic in India is very very congested. I would not be surprised if vehicles started travelling from rooftops of buildings even.
The gas prices are monopolised by the oil producing nations, like Kuwait, Saudi, etc (mainly by OPEC), and US does get a subsidy from that.
I don't know the exact price in India, but it is quite expensive to have a car. I know people who travel by car to the bus stops or train stations, and then use the public transportation system to work and back.