FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

study and work as well??

jrzipagan03
how hard is studying and working as well??in short a working student..what is its advantages and disadvantages.??is it much cooler to work and study as well??
The thing to be a working student is having a work experience while earning a degree in a university, is it much better??even if it is very stressful?

tell me something about it guys..
answer it.. it is all open for an answer. Smile

answer it with your own perception..
i just needed it.. Laughing Laughing

thanks much... Wink
pll
I don't think you should stress with this, as you are wori=king in your study - related field. If your studies stress you, maybe you're at the wrong place.
ujjwalshrestha
I worked all my student life so that I can pay for my tuition and at the same time don't want to graduate with huge debt. The hard work paid for me. Graduated with zero debt and with many years of work experience and skill. But it was lots of hardwork.
standready
I worked full time and had a full time university load at the same time. Was quite trying but the schooling was work related which helped me gain more appreciation for what I was studying plus an advantage of having co-workers to answer questions better than professors could.
eclipious
It all depends on you and how you handle the stress.
Working part time and doing full time academics is do-able as many actually do it in order to pay for tuition, housing, and other fees that come with it.

Definitely you will need to time manage as it isn't easy to do both. You should definitely look into finding flexible part time jobs as those allow you to manage your time better. Midterms and tests come up, you can ease back on work for the week or reschedule for a weekend, whereas on weeks with just few assignments, you could put in extra work and such. Definitely those types of jobs are hard to come by but if you can find one, they are amazingly beneficial to easing the stress!
jrzipagan03
eclipious said:

Quote:

Working part time and doing full time academics is do-able as many actually do it in order to pay for tuition, housing, and other fees that come with it.

Definitely you will need to time manage as it isn't easy to do both. You should definitely look into finding flexible part time jobs as those allow you to manage your time better. Midterms and tests come up, you can ease back on work for the week or reschedule for a weekend, whereas on weeks with just few assignments, you could put in extra work and such. Definitely those types of jobs are hard to come by but if you can find one, they are amazingly beneficial to easing the stress!

is that so, then it is really hard to think what to do if you're a working student.
Hey eclip are you a working student too? Confused Confused Confused Confused [/quote]
jrzipagan03
eclipious said:

"

Definitely you will need to time manage as it isn't easy to do both. You should definitely look into finding flexible part time jobs as those allow you to manage your time better. Midterms and tests come up, you can ease back on work for the week or reschedule for a weekend, whereas on weeks with just few assignments, you could put in extra work and such. Definitely those types of jobs are hard to come by but if you can find one, they are amazingly beneficial to easing the stress!"

is that so, then it is really hard to think what to do if you're a working student.
Hey eclip are you a working student too?
Confused Confused Confused Confused
eclipious
I am a working student as well. Luckily I have funds to help out so I don't have to work full time or in a stressful work environment to make up the rest of my bills but I do work about 20-30 hours a week while being a full time student.

The place I work is pretty flexible though which has given me an upper hand so I can usually schedule my work during hours that I know I am free and can work without distractions. The rest of the time I actually just study and only usually like Friday nights or Saturday nights do I get to kind of relax which isn't too bad considering time really flies quickly when you have stuff to do.

The really stressful part is just those weeks when you get a lot of work to do at work as well as exams, so I've had a few run ins where I had to talk to my supervisor and say I really can't work because I am not prepared for my exams enough and my supervisor usually just works it out that I can reduce my weekly work schedule and by the following week or two make up for it. So flexible jobs really help.

I think ~10 hours a week kind of jobs are perfect balance for full course work. You don't make as much to fit the bills but it gives you time to still have a life and enjoy college more Smile

But as I've said, it all depends on you and how you manage your time. I know some people who can hold a part-time job (~20 hrs a week) and take more than the average number of units and do double majors and some say those are smart people but one of my friends is just a really hard worker and has amazing time management skills and seems to do it all.
jrzipagan03
so it seems that it really depends on my courage to work and study at the same time, just collecting some opinion on you guys, i just wanted to try to live in my own, i want to expose in the reality of our world so that i'am not be ignorant or innocent into something that immature and spoil person cannot understand, bottom line-- i want to be mold into something better than i'am right now..

hey eclip, where you from?just askin b'coz i just consider that woring student depends on where they're from, how easy it has to be.thats just it.

what is your course right now and your work also???
just curious.. Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
eclipious
jrzipagan03 wrote:
so it seems that it really depends on my courage to work and study at the same time, just collecting some opinion on you guys, i just wanted to try to live in my own, i want to expose in the reality of our world so that i'am not be ignorant or innocent into something that immature and spoil person cannot understand, bottom line-- i want to be mold into something better than i'am right now..

hey eclip, where you from?just askin b'coz i just consider that woring student depends on where they're from, how easy it has to be.thats just it.

what is your course right now and your work also???
just curious.. Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

I think trying to live on ones own is pretty difficult. My earnings only match about 40% of my tuition and living expenses and so the rest come from grants, loans and parents. I couldn't imagine having to pay 100% especially since I cannot make the payment of tuition right off the bat. Though there are deferment plans I'm sure so those would help but even then like deferment would make my wallet cry each month because I barely meet monthly bills right now. So if I didn't have the extra funds, I'd probably have to work even more or find a full-time job while going to school.

But yeah it really depends from person to person in terms of environment, work ethic, job opportunities, and academic work load.

Um sure, I am currently a student a University of California, Berkeley and I work in an IT department and for the Engineering department as an course assistant. I am studying Computer Science which has like 5% overlap with my work skills. Right now I am technically taking minimum courses as I also have other activities such as research besides working and taking classes so I balance things as much as possible.

And I do want to stress that it does depend on person to person. I think best way to find out is to ease your way into work so start with small part-time jobs that only require 5-10 hours a week and then see how school goes and if you find you have more time than needed then up your work to 10-20 and if you then find you still can work more you can go to 30 or even 40 hours Smile Experimenting is the best way and making it clear with your employers your intentions and circumstance helps too.
jrzipagan03
oh well..glad to know about it. I'll be graduating my associate degree on april and i'd plan to pursue it to bachelors degree in IT, but in order to go with it i'd like to finished it in my own expenses and efforts, so just right now i'am searching some jobs to work in and to have some savings for the next semester. Kinda confusing in some other things that wasn't clear in my mind. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
But definitely i will work this coming summer. Idea Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
pll
We always need to work hard but as students it is always harder. But don'y worry, if you are motivated you will be able to achieve it. And you are not the first one to do so
busaboss
It is fine if you could handle school work while having a real work. College is really stressful. Actually it is very hard to do but it will get you some extra cash and experience too so when you apply for a new job after finishing your degree you can find some work easily.
sjian1609
it is no hard to work and study

through the work you can use what you learn in school and which make you better understand what you learn
then you can also know whether it's fit for you~

good luck !

jrzipagan03 wrote:
how hard is studying and working as well??in short a working student..what is its advantages and disadvantages.??is it much cooler to work and study as well??
The thing to be a working student is having a work experience while earning a degree in a university, is it much better??even if it is very stressful?

tell me something about it guys..
answer it.. it is all open for an answer. Smile

answer it with your own perception..
i just needed it.. Laughing Laughing

thanks much... Wink
mukesh
sjian1609 wrote:
it is no hard to work and study

through the work you can use what you learn in school and which make you better understand what you learn
then you can also know whether it's fit for you~

good luck !

I am also agree with this statement. Work and Study both you can but depend on you. Now my BCA completed and looking a good university to study MCA. This time I am working in SkyTech "Website development company". And last three years was worked in Hardware & Networking copmany and also with BCA course. Very Happy
xikaouj
I want to say work hard .