FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Am i able to have a name change?

Parkour_Jarrod
Just out of curiosity is it possible to have a name change? I would like my name to reflect my new alias and my new attempt a getting somewhere in the field? If this is possible please contact me here or via PMs
metalfreek
If you mean frihost username, I don't think you can change that.
ocalhoun
If I recall correctly, it is possible, but you need to ask Bondings directly, and he has to manually edit the database... So it isn't done often.

Still, no harm in asking, I guess.
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
If you mean frihost username, I don't think you can change that.
Agreed. If I recall correctly iyepes had an enquiry about this and Bondings responded as follows:

Bondings wrote:
normally we don't allow username changes as a general rule for 2 reasons. First of all that technically it's rather hard since the username is stored in a lot of places and also used for quotes inside other peoples posts. Changing it not only requires it to be changed in quite some tables, but it renders the forums inconsistent due to people seeming to quote what appears to be someone else. The same for inline quotes, like "as user x mentioned ...".

Source: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-939085.html#939085
Bondings
No normally that is not possible.
GuidanceReader
Would it be possible to start a new user name and have your points/credits moved over to the new name, and then the old user name made inactive?
nepalstar
GuidanceReader wrote:
Would it be possible to start a new user name and have your points/credits moved over to the new name, and then the old user name made inactive?

I think this is not possible to do so but you can change your name not your username...!
deanhills
GuidanceReader wrote:
Excellent question! I'd like to know as well. I was wondering about that after my last post.
IndieCthulhu
deanhills wrote:
GuidanceReader wrote:
Excellent question! I'd like to know as well. I was wondering about that after my last post.

Well personally I have done this after a few months I didn't get a reply now there is something about me having two accounts... so I'd like to put forward the following

I have no hosting on this account.

I would like the hosting of parkourjarrod to be transferred to this account.

I would like parkourjarrod to be made inactive with an inactive user tag similar to banned but different.

I understand that the negative points on parkour jarrod are severe but rather than apply for points reset on there then have the debarcle of the wanting of a new name i made this account and understand completely if the points on this were to go negative
Bondings
@IndieCthulhu, Could you make a post as Parkour_Jarrod confirming this?

Normally we don't allow this but since you already made the switch ...
Parkour_Jarrod
just to confirm... thanks bondings... much appreciated... just the name is... well... it's complicated and very much the reason I stopped posting... much thanks...
Bondings
Ok, I transferred the hosting account data/status.
IndieCthulhu
Thanks bondings... just more reason to love this website...

How can I repay you...

Also are the login details still the same
Bondings
Yes the login details are the same, I didn't change your hosting account, I only changed the frihost account details (what you see on your Account page).
IndieCthulhu
Awesome, just noticed that. thanks bondings.
rjraaz
Bondings wrote:
Ok, I transferred the hosting account data/status.

Bondings, You are really kind and helpful for all the forum members. But I suspecting that IndieCthulhu wanted to change and use new username just because he has very high negative points in his old account or it may be just a coincidence.

Quote:

Just out of curiosity is it possible to have a name change? I would like my name to reflect my new alias and my new attempt a getting somewhere in the field? If this is possible please contact me here or via PMs

And in its very first post he just asked to have double account for curiosity but after few post reply his curiosity becomes reality.

Sorry, but I just want to ask you that Is it correct decision and will not become frequent by other users. I know you are the boss and boss is always correct but is this step will not effect other members.

Sorry again Bonding but I totally disagree with it and just because of that the person asked to have double account at the time when he is at very high amount of negative points (-750 as I noticed few days ago).

Sorry again I know, I do not have rights to stand again boss but I have to. Hope you do not mind.

And why a person makes his curiosity a reality?
Bondings
@rjraaz, you are right that this normally isn't allowed and it might have been a bad idea to allow this. But I wasn't in the mood to say no and Parkour_Jarrod is long-time high-post member. I do hope this doesn't become a trend.

About your idea that this might have been because of the negative points, I don't think this is the case. He said:
Quote:
I understand that the negative points on parkour jarrod are severe but rather than apply for points reset on there then have the debarcle of the wanting of a new name i made this account and understand completely if the points on this were to go negative

If it was only for the points, he could have made a few posts and requested a points reset and it would have been accepted.

(Points resets are there to make it easier for people to return after an absence. If you have very negative points it is very hard to get back to positive ones quickly. Hence either the user doesn't try it at all and we lose him completely or he creates a new account with 5 posts and gets hosting there and I have to remove the old hosting account and create the new one, which means a lot of extra work for me.)
rjraaz
Bondings wrote:
About your idea that this might have been because of the negative points, I don't think this is the case. He said:
Quote:

Sorry Bonding but truly we can't read ones mind by just his words. Moreover, It is all up-to your decision.

But I truly respect this guy's honesty that he opened double account and announced it at forum. Or he opened and raised the issue at forum because he will not get the hosting space and bandwidth as old members have.
IndieCthulhu
rjraaz wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Quote:

Sorry Bonding but truly we can't read ones mind by just his words. Moreover, It is all up-to your decision.

But I truly respect this guy's honesty that he opened double account and announced it at forum. Or he opened and raised the issue at forum because he will not get the hosting space and bandwidth as old members have.

It was not at all for hosting space and/or points... it was the name... i hated it...

There was a time when i was suicidal, and attempted to commit a few times... I went to councilling to get over it but... yeah... the name was just a constant reminder... i attempted to commit when i was under that name...

For more information just read my blog I'll be putting a few parts up