FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NASA shows finger to ESA again!

splintercdo
It is very likely that ExoMars co-operation between Nasa and Esa will collapse!

here is more info: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/science-environment-16906740
benjietimogan
that is great
silverdown
That is awesome Very Happy Exclamation Exclamation
D'Artagnan
wtf, why are you happy about this? both collapsing under a failing economy and you are cheering up over their failures?
quex
D'Artagnan wrote:
wtf, why are you happy about this? both collapsing under a failing economy and you are cheering up over their failures?

Yeah, I fail to see the good thing here. ._.
Dennise
This is really sad, but should not come as a surprise.

Politicians - too often taking the short term view - call the shots on multi-B$$ projects like this. And if the (US) politicos think there is more to gain by going it alone ... what do you expect?

Then too, there likely are US space secrets of military value that would be revealed in a joint program.

And further - from military AND economic viewpoints, the long term view suggests whoever gets there first, wins .... and wins a great deal. Consider the lack of European cooperation in the post Christopher Columbus era.

What will it take to get past this kind of thinking? Will we ever come together as one? Carl Sagan suggested that solid evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence would pull humanity together as one. And quite interestingly, Sagan also thought that evidence (unlikely) of humans being completely alone in the universe would do the same thing.
ocalhoun
Dennise wrote:
Will we ever come together as one? Carl Sagan suggested that solid evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence would pull humanity together as one.

An extraterrestrial threat maybe... but an extraterrestrial contact that only represented something to be taken advantage of? People would just fight over who gets what portion.
Quote:
And quite interestingly, Sagan also thought that evidence (unlikely) of humans being completely alone in the universe would do the same thing.

This I doubt.
I don't really see what his reasoning is behind it... Nor do I think most ordinary people would either.